Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > $100 (CAD) savings.... worth buying refurb?

$100 (CAD) savings.... worth buying refurb?
deen456
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 9, 2007, 12:04 PM

Hey all,

I've been THIS CLOSE to making the switch over to mac and getting a Macbook 1.83. I live in Canada, so the pricing is $1199+tax (with edu discount) for a brand new Macbook. But the refurbs are going for $1099+tax, so a $100 savings. I've been struggling with deciding whether to purchase the refurbished macbook, I've done a lot of research and read that apple has a very stringent quality control process and that the refurbs are good quality. But I've always got the unsafe feeling of buying refurb over new... especially if it's only $100 savings.

My question is - would I just be better off to go with the new Macbook and pay the extra $100 to eliminate risk of buying refurb? Any help would be appreciated -- I'm SO close to making the purchase.. Thanks!

mduell
Posting Junkie
May 9, 2007, 01:09 PM

I'd buy a new one as soon as they update the MacBook (Intel released Santa Rosa today, most other major OEMs have already announced new systems).
Otherwise buy a refurb; you can still return it if you're not happy with it.

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
May 10, 2007, 01:36 AM

My refurb C2D MacBook has been an absolute gem. I'd have no qualms going that route again in the future.
Jalen's dad. Carrie's husband.  partisan. Bleu blanc et rouge.

im_noahselby
Senior User
May 10, 2007, 05:50 PM

I'd buy a new MacBook in a store. You should be able to find one for a decent price in a local store if you do some shopping around, but supplies are beginning to dwindle at many locations. Stapes had fantastic deals on MacBooks, however, I'm not sure if they're still offering these savings. Just keep in mind that newer models are looming on the horizon. You could wait for the newer models, but you will pass up the sweet savings you can get by picking up a model now. I recently picked up a black MacBook from Staples, and I saved over $150 Canadian, which for me was better than waiting a month or longer for the arrival of slightly speed-bumped models.

Good luck!
Macbook 2.0 Ghz - Black
iPhone 4GB - Fido

im_noahselby
Senior User
May 10, 2007, 05:58 PM

If people are in the market for a MacBook Pro, it may be a better option to wait, as these models are rumored to be refreshed very soon and may be worth waiting for the new displays alone.

I have a feeling that the MacBook upgrades aren't going to be as spectacular. There isn't much more Apple can add to these consumer machines, without cutting into Pro territory. Surely, any MacBook upgrades we see will be minor.
Macbook 2.0 Ghz - Black
iPhone 4GB - Fido

oijw27
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 11, 2007, 08:18 AM

i've heard many good things about the refurbs, and they seem to be as good as new most of the time (except they come in big ugly bulky boxes)

Forum Links
Forum Rules