Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > It's here, it's finally here!

It's here, it's finally here!
sek929
Posting Junkie
Jun 24, 2008, 05:11 PM

Yeah, this MIGHT belong in the iMac forum, but screw it.

I am making my first post in the NN on anything besides my G4. Yes my friends, ol sek929 has made it to the future and is currently pushing a Core 2 Duo through it's paces. I just watched a 1080p trailer...I'm actually tearing up over here.

This thing is lightning fast, the screen is beautiful (and glossy!), and man is it ever quiet....in fact is it even running? Who knows! The keyboard has been a bit hard to get used to, but I'm starting to find a rhythm.

Yeah, yeah, I hear you 8-core Mac Pro guys laughing over there, but when you've been making do with 733mhz this a huge deal.

First off, how do I get rid of the transparent menubar? It sucks and I hate it.

Secondly, how do I make the dock just icons with no border/glossy tray? It sucks and I hate it.

Thirdly, I have 2GB right now mainly because I am poor and a 1GB stick was all I could afford. Would I benefit greatly from more RAM....and will it take a 2GB for a total of 3GB or would I need two 2GB sticks to go all the way to 4GB?

Fourthly, I tried using the mighty mouse. It sucks and I hate it. Back to my trusty Intellimouse Explorer (which has been with me since my last iMac)

Fifthly, Front Row seems to hate the long track names in my Mars Volta albums....normal? But anyways I love front row.

There will be more, oh yes, there will be more.

design219
Professional Poster
Jun 24, 2008, 05:16 PM

Hmmm. I'm surprised you don't like the mighty mouse. I guess it's what you get used to. I personally hate the Explorer, which I had for a couple of months.

Enjoy till the new wears off! (and after)

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.
Was free. Now it's gone. Never to be seen again.
Off to join its brother and sister apps that could not
keep up with the ever updating iOS. RIP Nesen Probe.

Jens Peter
Senior User
Jun 24, 2008, 05:16 PM

Congratulations on your new machine!

Can't help you with all the questions, I'm still on a G4

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Jun 24, 2008, 05:24 PM

You always, without exception, need more RAM. You really can't use the "I'm too poor" excuse when an extra GB will only cost you $27. Just do it. 2 GB should last you a while. If you want to move up to 4 GB later, even that's not too expensive.

I agree on the Mighty Mouse. If you want to get a new mouse I might recommend the Logitech MX Revolution. Pricey but so, so good. That is, if you feel like replacing your current one (sounds like you're happy with it).

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

Rumor
Jun 24, 2008, 05:28 PM

Max out the RAM, you will be happy you did. I just maxed out the RAM on my MBP, like today.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

sek929  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 24, 2008, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by Luca Rescigno View Post
You always, without exception, need more RAM. You really can't use the "I'm too poor" excuse when an extra GB will only cost you $27. Just do it. 2 GB should last you a while. If you want to move up to 4 GB later, even that's not too expensive.

I agree on the Mighty Mouse. If you want to get a new mouse I might recommend the Logitech MX Revolution. Pricey but so, so good. That is, if you feel like replacing your current one (sounds like you're happy with it).
Good point bout the RAM, don't let me off easy!

I knew I HAD to get at least 2GB in this beast before even turning it on. No way I was going to replace a 6 year old computer with a machine with less RAM in it!

I am VERY happy with my current mouse, I mostly don't like the feel of the scroll "ball" or whatever the hell it is on the MM.

64stang06
Mac Elite
Jun 24, 2008, 05:36 PM

System Preferences-->Desktop and Screensaver-->Desktop tab. Last checkbox is Translucent Menu Bar. Uncheck and rejoice!
MacBook Pro 13" 2.8GHz Core i7/8GB RAM/750GB Hard Drive - Mac OS X 10.7.3

sek929  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 24, 2008, 05:39 PM

Jesus Christo! Talk about newb status, I could've sworn I looked there!

Thanks!

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Jun 24, 2008, 05:39 PM

Oh, haha. I misread your post and thought you said you only had 2 GB and couldn't afford an extra 1 GB. Nevermind then.

Well, as I said, 2 GB is enough for now, but you'll eventually want to max it out to 4 GB. It's still not that bad... only $100. So you may as well do it once you can afford it. RAM prices won't likely come down much farther than they already have. 2 GB modules are already only 2x the price of 1 GB modules, so they won't get any cheaper until RAM gets cheaper as a whole. And by the time that happens, it's likely that there will be a new standard in place (DDR3?). Generally when a new type of RAM comes along, the older kind doesn't drop in price anymore. DDR1 costs the same per GB now as it did a year or two ago.

TL;DR Max out your RAM whenever you want because it won't get much cheaper.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 24, 2008, 05:40 PM

Congrats Sek! I have a white 24" iMac and I love it, even after all this time with it.

You can change the transparency of the menu bar in your System Prefs. System Prefs > Desktop & Screensaver > Unclick "Translucent Menu Bar" button

For the Dock, you'll need to change it yourself via an app or with some Terminal mojo. I haven't changed my Dock so others will have to help out here.

I too hate the Mighty Mouse. I use a Logitech MX Revolution. Love it!

slpdLoad
Mac Elite
Jun 24, 2008, 05:41 PM

Type this in the Terminal to make the dock be 2D on the bottom:

defaults write com.apple.dock no-glass -boolean YES

Followed by "killall Dock"

And yes, the Mighty Mouse does indeed suck. I think I used the one that came with my iMac for a total of 10 seconds before I switched back to my Razer mouse.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 24, 2008, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
Fourthly, I tried using the mighty mouse. It sucks and I hate it. Back to my trusty Intellimouse Explorer (which has been with me since my last iMac)
Oh yes, I LOVE the IME. Best M$ product evar.

The Mighty Mouse is ok, but that's just it. If you assign a left and right button, it's VERY hard to select text passages precisely. It'll randomly select just parts of what you were trying to select.

Intellimouse Explorer FTW.

-t

sek929  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 24, 2008, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by slpdLoad View Post
Type this in the Terminal to make the dock be 2D on the bottom:

defaults write com.apple.dock no-glass -boolean YES

Followed by "killall Dock"

And yes, the Mighty Mouse does indeed suck. I think I used the one that came with my iMac for a total of 10 seconds before I switched back to my Razer mouse.
Hmmm, I have mine set to the left side of my screen so it's got that whacky border jazz going on. Same command will do the trick?

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Oh yes, I LOVE the IME. Best M$ product evar.

The Mighty Mouse is ok, but that's just it. If you assign a left and right button, it's VERY hard to select text passages precisely. It'll randomly select just parts of what you were trying to select.

Intellimouse Explorer FTW.

-t
Agreed, solid f**kin mouse, great scroll wheel. If only the 360 were as reliable...

slpdLoad
Mac Elite
Jun 24, 2008, 05:50 PM

Hmmm, I have mine set to the left side of my screen so it's got that whacky border jazz going on. Same command will do the trick?
That command just makes it look the same way on the bottom as it does when it's on the side of the screen. If you're not fond of either built-in look, a quick google search should provide a ton of dock modifications where you can just download some replacement files and have a new look.

lavar78
Professional Poster
Jun 24, 2008, 05:53 PM

Congrats, Sek!

"I'm virtually bursting with adequatulence!" - Bill McNeal, NewsRadio

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Jun 24, 2008, 05:57 PM

I did a Google search and there doesn't appear to be any way to make the dock totally transparent/invisible in Leopard. I even turned up a thread here on MacNN where someone tried, but the only hacks available also result in dead zones where mouse clicks don't register. The once-popular Clear Dock haxie doesn't work because Application Enhancer isn't compatible with Leopard.

sek929  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 24, 2008, 06:33 PM

Damn, oh well, I'll get used to it.

Here she is in her new habitat:

Since that picture was taken I've changed that default Leopard desktop though.

Since I'm now ass-deep in the transfer process I'm amazed at just how much stuff I've accrued over the last 6 years on the G4...hell even some things harken all the back to my G3 iMac. The settings, apps, widgets, files, icons, pictures, music, videos...it's enough to get overwhelmed.

Here's to you, trusty G4, if this iMac works half as well as you did over the years I will still be happy as a clam. You made 1.8GHZ Dells look like pieces of sh!t, you froze all of once after installing OSX, and you ran day-in day-out for 6 years without a hiccup.

I doubt I can bring myself to sell it, I mean, it's worth dick at this point. Maybe it'll live on as a Time Machine backup.

Addicted to MacNN
Jun 24, 2008, 07:09 PM

Way to keep a roll of toilet paper handy for...uh... well, lets just say to "clean up" if "something" happens to "spill".

design219
Professional Poster
Jun 24, 2008, 07:18 PM

Hehe!

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.
Was free. Now it's gone. Never to be seen again.
Off to join its brother and sister apps that could not
keep up with the ever updating iOS. RIP Nesen Probe.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 24, 2008, 07:18 PM

Nice case of Samuel Adams, drunky.

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 24, 2008, 07:21 PM

I'm with you on selling the G4. My 533 machine is now mostly a backup system, sitting off 80% of the time. I've taken tons of pictures of it in preparation for selling it, but I just can't. It's SO solid, and has been it's whole life. I've got a matching 17" CRT Studio Display for it, and together they're worth, well, what you said.

It's got bluetooth, wireless, two internal disks, dual layer dvd burning capability. And I won't get more than $250 for it WITH the monitor.

It's funny, earlier today I was looking through the drives to see how I can consolidate the endless amounts of stuff I'd like to keep from that machine. Then I gave up, thinking I'll just keep it for longer. : )

Congrats on your new machine. If you recall, I only recently got a 20" G5 iMac(FREE!!). Still not in the Intel game yet!
ice

sek929  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 24, 2008, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by ::maroma:: View Post
Way to keep a roll of toilet paper handy for...uh... well, lets just say to "clean up" if "something" happens to "spill".
Old habits from living in a house with no paper towels for years...
I think they bought it!

Originally Posted by Dakar the Fourth View Post
Nice case of Samuel Adams, drunky.
You should have seen it before I cleaned in preparation for the iMac, there were at least three down there.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 24, 2008, 07:24 PM

I wish the pic was higher res, so I could judge your books, but I'll settle for the comforting presence of the Futurama DVD sets.

sek929  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 24, 2008, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by IceEnclosure View Post
I'm with you on selling the G4. My 533 machine is now mostly a backup system, sitting off 80% of the time. I've taken tons of pictures of it in preparation for selling it, but I just can't. It's SO solid, and has been it's whole life. I've got a matching 17" CRT Studio Display for it, and together they're worth, well, what you said.

It's got bluetooth, wireless, two internal disks, dual layer dvd burning capability. And I won't get more than $250 for it WITH the monitor.

It's funny, earlier today I was looking through the drives to see how I can consolidate the endless amounts of stuff I'd like to keep from that machine. Then I gave up, thinking I'll just keep it for longer. : )

Congrats on your new machine. If you recall, I only recently got a 20" G5 iMac(FREE!!). Still not in the Intel game yet!
I remember seeing that G4 lurking in the background in one of your last photos. ROCK solid machines, worth every cent of the nearly 2 grand I spent on it. Do you backup via Time Machine? Think it'll be glacial over ethernet?

I think I might keep most of that old stuff on the G4 still, like you do, there's no reason to have HW assignments from 9th grade english on this iMac anyways

sek929  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 24, 2008, 07:30 PM

I wish the pic was higher res, so I could judge your books, but I'll settle for the comforting presence of the Futurama DVD sets.
First off, those are Simpsons DVD sets, secondly, those are all DVD cases, not books.

Carry on.

OMG this keyboard kicks ass! I can type almost twice as fast and with less mistakes already, man!

Addicted to MacNN
Jun 24, 2008, 07:36 PM

I think I see a copy of Big Lebowski there, so you're cool.

sek929  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 24, 2008, 07:39 PM

It really ties the DVD collection together.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 24, 2008, 07:39 PM

First off, those are Simpsons DVD sets, secondly, those are all DVD cases, not books.
Well that post was utter FAIL.

I blame the low-res pic.

sek929  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 24, 2008, 07:45 PM

Time difference between compressing 8GB DVD to fit on single layer DVDR:

G4 ~90 Minutes
C2D ~11 Minutes

sek929  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 24, 2008, 07:45 PM

Well that post was utter FAIL.

I blame the low-res pic.
Well thank god I got the TP in there at least.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 24, 2008, 07:49 PM

If only it had been Anal Lube®.

sek929  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 24, 2008, 08:01 PM

Even when I'm burning a DVD it's dead-silent.

Also installing RAM was a breeze, I remember installing a 256 chip in my Rev D iMac and it makes me shudder.

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 24, 2008, 08:11 PM

Congrats, sek! The iMacs are real beauties...I wish I had one.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Jun 24, 2008, 08:15 PM

Congrats sek, the intel macs are generations more powerful than the G4s and I see you feel it!

I think the only thing that annoys me with the whole thing that can't be replaced is the glossy screen. Other than that, it is a brilliant home computer.
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

sek929  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 24, 2008, 08:22 PM

Thanks Xi, and Voodoo.

Luckily I'm in the basement right now and my main light source is behind it.

It is VERY glossy, I kinda wish I could have gotten matte (my other LCD is matte) but the color is incredible so I'll deal.

64stang06
Mac Elite
Jun 24, 2008, 08:24 PM

What? No Futurama? Well, at least it's the Simpsons. I can respect that considering they both have the same creator

sek929  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 24, 2008, 08:27 PM

I have the movie, and I have Seasons 2 and 3 which are uhhh, borrowed from one of my friends.

Season 4 is still like 50 bucks brand new. It is kind of a shame that I have three Aqua-Teen seasons and no Futurama sets though...

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 24, 2008, 08:28 PM

Wal•mart discounted them $20 and $30 for a time... I grabbed half of them then.

sek929  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 24, 2008, 08:30 PM

Dayum, I might have set aside my complete hatred of Wal•Mart if I knew that.

Bonus: My iMac has the Radeon 2400 in it while it was listed having the 1400XT.....since I have no idea which is better I'll assume I got a better card.

Edit: Any game suggestions for my 128MB card? When it comes to PC gaming they don't come more clueless than me.

64stang06
Mac Elite
Jun 24, 2008, 08:59 PM

Well, get the 2nd movie, which came out today

sek929  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 24, 2008, 09:12 PM

Sounds like a perfect opportunity for Front Row usage!

Also, another query.

How much space, at a minimum, would you partition for Boot Camp if you had 180GB free space?

Also, why, in the name of all that is good and holy, don't the sizes I set for windows stick?

lavar78
Professional Poster
Jun 24, 2008, 09:15 PM

Why not just "spill" it directly into the toilet paper?

"I'm virtually bursting with adequatulence!" - Bill McNeal, NewsRadio

sek929  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 24, 2008, 09:15 PM

I need to edit that Flick photo now....

64stang06
Mac Elite
Jun 24, 2008, 09:17 PM

Sounds like a perfect opportunity for Front Row usage!

Also, another query.

How much space, at a minimum, would you partition for Boot Camp if you had 180GB free space?

Also, why, in the name of all that is good and holy, don't the sizes I set for windows stick?
Depends on what you are going to do with Windows. If you plan on using it for games and such, a good 50-60GB should be plenty for games today and in the future. Just remember, once you set the partition size, the only way to increase it (easily) is to restore the drive to one single partition then start over again.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 24, 2008, 09:21 PM

Congrats! I just got a demo 2.0Ghz Core2 iMac a couple of weeks ago, after putzing away on an 800Mhz G4 17" iMac for six years! It's awesome, isn't it?
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

sek929  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 24, 2008, 09:22 PM

I took another one

Nothing there but a tasty burger, must've been a lens flare or something.

sek929  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 24, 2008, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by OldManMac View Post
Congrats! I just got a demo 2.0Ghz Core2 iMac a couple of weeks ago, after putzing away on an 800Mhz G4 17" iMac for six years! It's awesome, isn't it?
I've been plastered to it all day

sek929  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 24, 2008, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by 64stang06 View Post
Depends on what you are going to do with Windows. If you plan on using it for games and such, a good 50-60GB should be plenty for games today and in the future. Just remember, once you set the partition size, the only way to increase it (easily) is to restore the drive to one single partition then start over again.
As in wipe the entire drive (Leopard and all) and start over again...or just wipe the XP partition off the HD?

64stang06
Mac Elite
Jun 24, 2008, 09:35 PM

Oh no, just the Boot Camp partition. When you use the assistant (a second time), it will give you the option to make it into one hard drive partition, or start the Windows installer. But, it's always a good idea to make regular backups (Time Machine) in case something goes wrong. Also, as long as you follow the installation guide which can be printed out before doing anything, you'll do fine.

Tiresias
Jun 25, 2008, 09:42 AM

Ew.

Forum Links
Forum Rules