Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Clone OS from tower to laptop?

Clone OS from tower to laptop?
innerimager
Forum Regular
Jul 29, 2008, 09:41 PM

Can one clone the OS from a Macpro tower to a Macbook? I use Super Duper, would love to save the hours of loading software, etc. Will the cloned OS "know" it's running a Macbook? Thanks....Peter
( Last edited by innerimager; Jul 29, 2008 at 09:56 PM. )

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 29, 2008, 09:56 PM

Should work fine.

jmiddel
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 29, 2008, 09:58 PM

The Tower is Intel, the 'Book PowerPC, right? If so, no, because the filesystems are a bit different. Is the Tower your main machine, and are you trying to clone it to a 'Book whose drive will be erased in the process? If so, maybe you could try installing your OS on the 'Book, using Migration Assistant which lets you install the new OS on a new drive, at the same time 'migrating' your stuff from the 'older' computer, 'old' meaning the one that is created before the 'Book (the Tower), not physically older. You'd want to erase the 'Book's drive using Disk Utility in the Utilities folder.

innerimager  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 29, 2008, 10:05 PM

It's the latest Macbook (black). That's intel...yes? If so, is it a go? Thanks....Peter

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jul 29, 2008, 10:10 PM

All MacBooks are Intel. The PowerPC equivalent was called the iBook.

But Leopard is universal, so even if it were an Intel->PowerPC transfer, I'd think it would work. I haven't tried it, though, so maybe there are some gotchas. At any rate, you've got two Intel machines, so there should be no problem.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

innerimager  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 29, 2008, 10:39 PM

Sounds good. I just wasn't sure about files that are specific to the hardware in a Macpro vs a macbook. I assume the system does a check and uses the files needed for the environment it finds itself in. Anyway, since this will be a brand new Macbook, I can test a clone out it and if it seems cranky, erase and start over with a fresh OS.

Cold Warrior
Jul 30, 2008, 02:31 AM

Let us know how it goes.

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 30, 2008, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
But Leopard is universal, so even if it were an Intel->PowerPC transfer, I'd think it would work.
I would think that cloning a RUNNING OS from one processor-platform to the other would be less simple than you're suggesting. I've seen plenty of posts from people who did upgrades of their OS on a PPC machine and an Intel machine, and they noted a different size of upgrade file and final disk usage. That implies to me that while Leopard is universal, it won't install PPC stuff on an Intel computer's disk and vice-versa.

But to the OP, if they're both Intel, you will probably have no problems.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Jul 30, 2008, 01:21 PM

You can move a Leopard install back and forth between PPC and Intel without any problems.
Vandelay Industries

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 30, 2008, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
You can move a Leopard install back and forth between PPC and Intel without any problems.
That implies that there are at least some binaries in Leopard that are twice as large as they "need" to be for either platform. Which boggles the mind... But I assume you have experience with doing this, so I'll just be amazed.

OreoCookie
Jul 30, 2008, 06:06 PM

I assume this only works if you use the retail version of Leopard, I don't think the install disks that came with a new Intel-based contain the PowerPC binaries.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Jul 30, 2008, 06:37 PM

Nope, can be done with any Leopard DVD. The bundled install discs are just the latest OS build, bundled software (i.e. iLife, etc.) and a modified install plist that blocks install on other Mac models.
Vandelay Industries

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jul 30, 2008, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
That implies that there are at least some binaries in Leopard that are twice as large as they "need" to be for either platform. Which boggles the mind... But I assume you have experience with doing this, so I'll just be amazed.
Apple advertises that Leopard is all-universal on its Web site.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 30, 2008, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
Apple advertises that Leopard is all-universal on its Web site.
I had assumed that meant all DISCS were universal... That's what I get for assuming, eh?

Brass
Professional Poster
Jul 30, 2008, 11:43 PM

So you can run the same kernel on two completely different CPU architectures, even when the operating system that tells it how universal binaries work has not even been loaded? That's clever!

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jul 31, 2008, 12:11 AM

I don't know how it works, but it does. I can put my iMac G5 in target disk mode and boot my MBP off its hard drive.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Jul 31, 2008, 12:18 AM

I'm guessing it's the PPC and Intel boot loaders that know how to get the right platform code in the kernel started up. Then the kernel does the rest.
Vandelay Industries

innerimager  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 27, 2008, 01:03 PM

So I finally got the new Macbook, and the cloning from my desktop using super-duper worked flawlessly. thanks for the help....Peter

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Aug 27, 2008, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by CharlesS View Post
I don't know how it works, but it does. I can put my iMac G5 in target disk mode and boot my MBP off its hard drive.
I must say that's impressive.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Aug 27, 2008, 04:13 PM

I can tell you that I don't miss Windows Protection Faults one bit.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

SVass
Mac Elite
Aug 27, 2008, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by innerimager View Post
Can one clone the OS from a Macpro tower to a Macbook? I use Super Duper, would love to save the hours of loading software, etc. Will the cloned OS "know" it's running a Macbook? Thanks....Peter
Last year I used Migration Assistant to move all of my user files from an old G4 to my new Mac Book Pro AFTER I had updated the Operating System via the Net and after I installed almost all applications from the original CDs and/or the net for things like NeoOffice. The only application that I copied over was AppleWorks.
Everything appears to work just fine.
sam

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Aug 27, 2008, 10:33 PM

Except that in the context of a complete application, the extra code adds up to next to nothing. Even in a big app like, say, Aperture, the entire binary is only a couple of megabytes -- it's all the language files, icons, etc. that take up the remaining 300+ MB.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Aug 27, 2008, 10:34 PM

I would think that cloning a RUNNING OS from one processor-platform to the other would be less simple than you're suggesting. I've seen plenty of posts from people who did upgrades of their OS on a PPC machine and an Intel machine, and they noted a different size of upgrade file and final disk usage. That implies to me that while Leopard is universal, it won't install PPC stuff on an Intel computer's disk and vice-versa.

But to the OP, if they're both Intel, you will probably have no problems.
There are some minor differences in installs, but they have nothing to do with CPU architecture.

Forum Links
Forum Rules