Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Traveling alone?

Traveling alone?
Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 2, 2008, 12:55 AM

I recently checked my Skymiles account and saw that I had, well, an insane amount. Seeing that they were expiring soon, I went ahead and booked a trip to London to stay with an old friend, and then I booked a trip to Rio which is where my housemates and I are going for spring break.

But I still have enough miles to take me anywhere in the world, and I want to take a trip soon to somewhere warm and tropical (I cannot stand winter). The relatively short notice of traveling in Dec/Jan means that I will likely not be able to find anyone to go with.

So, if you were going to travel alone to any destination you wanted, where would you go? What would you do?

Preferably I would like to go somewhere that I could surf all day to pass the time.

Yose
Senior User
Nov 2, 2008, 01:00 AM

India in a heartbeat. If you can handle that sort of travel… From the Himalayas in the north to the jungles and backwaters in the south… camel trekking in Rajastan to relaxing in Gokarna (just south of Goa in Karnataka, it's like Goa but without the tourists).
Yose.
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Nov 2, 2008, 01:17 AM

Why would you travel somewhere else just to surf the net?

Kerrigan  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 2, 2008, 01:23 AM

I have always wanted to go to India. India and/or Southeast Asia seem to be the destinations I am considering most.

Is there much for the solo traveller to do in the coastal regions of India?

starman
Clinically Insane
Nov 2, 2008, 01:27 AM

Japan

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

zro
Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2008, 02:06 AM

Chile.

hickey
Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2008, 02:14 AM

Alaska, although that doesn't help you since you hate winter.

How about Egypt? Or any part of mesopotamia.

Veltliner
Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2008, 02:35 AM

Originally Posted by Kerrigan View Post
I recently checked my Skymiles account and saw that I had, well, an insane amount. Seeing that they were expiring soon, I went ahead and booked a trip to London to stay with an old friend, and then I booked a trip to Rio which is where my housemates and I are going for spring break.

But I still have enough miles to take me anywhere in the world, and I want to take a trip soon to somewhere warm and tropical (I cannot stand winter). The relatively short notice of traveling in Dec/Jan means that I will likely not be able to find anyone to go with.

So, if you were going to travel alone to any destination you wanted, where would you go? What would you do?

Preferably I would like to go somewhere that I could surf all day to pass the time.
With that many miles you should be able to pick up a girl.

You just say: " Know what, babe? With me, your' going to get far!"

Nivag
Mac Elite
Nov 3, 2008, 07:57 AM

I went to New Zealand in Jan this year, I went for a mates wedding but travelled around the two islands on my own for 3 weeks afterwards.

Personally I thought the South island was better as a whole, but I think the surf is better in the North Island.

The weather is good as it's their summer.

Cipher13
Nov 3, 2008, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by Kerrigan View Post

Warm, tropical, surf all day?

Where else but Queensland (Australia)?

Buckaroo
Professional Poster
Nov 3, 2008, 10:17 AM

Italy

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 3, 2008, 11:01 AM

Cuba
we don't have time to stop for gas

Atheist