Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > iMac Graphic Issues with Lion.

iMac Graphic Issues with Lion.
solofx7
Mac Elite
Sep 30, 2011, 10:32 AM

I hope this is the right thread for this.
I am not sure how many people are having this issue, but it is detailed on the Apple support forums here:
https://discussions.apple.com/thread...t=150&tstart=0

The video that plays at times goes wonky and the OS itself starts to reverse colors and have all kinds of lines and such. Lots of items in the OS become unreadable.

Basically I am having the same issues and have pics and videos to back it up. It is not a constant issue, but it just comes up randomly.

I reboot and it goes away, then it comes back.

I went to the Apple store to see what their thoughts were on this without bringing in my machine. They said they had not heard of it and could not find any information on it.
They suggested I bring the machine in and they can run tests on it over night. I would have no problem with that, but I truly do not have any idea of what they could do to fix it.
I have done a format reload and that did not solve the issue.

Any thoughts?

If this is in the wrong section, please move it for me, thank you.
iMac 27inch 3.4 i7 16gb ram, MacBook Air 11 inch i5 128gb, iMac 27inch 2.8 i7 8gb ram, MacBook Pro 17 inch 2.66 i7, 4gb ram 500gb HDD Seagate XT,
iPhone 4 - Time Capsule 2tb, Apple TV - iPad 2 64gb

kenbass
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 9, 2011, 01:03 AM

I had terrible troubles with Aperture 3 after upgrading to Lion. Did these problems happen right after upgrading to Lion? I fixed my problem by adding more memory. I think Lion uses a lot of memory. I added another 8 megs for a total of 12. My I Mac has never run so good and no more problems with Aperture, everything opens very fast now.

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Oct 9, 2011, 02:44 AM

Generally over time new OS versions and new app versions evolve to be more RAM and hardware demanding, a good thing (progress).

OS 10.7.1 clearly is more RAM-hungry than 10.6.8 with graphics apps. And default is 64-bit, which architecturally takes more RAM space than 32-bit does.

RAM may or may not be part of your issue.

You can evaluate whether or not you have adequate RAM by looking at the Page Outs number under System Memory on the Activity Monitor app before starting a typical graphics work session; recheck after working and if the page outs change (manual calculation of ending page outs number minus starting page outs number) is not zero your workflow is RAM-starved. Ignore the pie charts and other info in Activity Monitor.

If your test showed that page outs increased significantly during operation you can

• add RAM

• and/or simply try to run one app at a time

• and/or switch from 64-bit operation to 32-bit operation (which will make some additional RAM space available).

Note also that some apps utilize strong graphics support - - which means the higher end of MBPs and iMacs.

HTH

-Allen Wicks

solofx7  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 11, 2011, 08:59 PM

The issues appears to be with drivers or something.
Multiple people are reporting the same issue.
I have pics of the issue and will post them later.
Its a weird graphical issue.
iMac 27inch 3.4 i7 16gb ram, MacBook Air 11 inch i5 128gb, iMac 27inch 2.8 i7 8gb ram, MacBook Pro 17 inch 2.66 i7, 4gb ram 500gb HDD Seagate XT,

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Oct 11, 2011, 09:08 PM

Try OS 10.7.2 as soon as it is available in the remote case it is OS-related.

solofx7  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 23, 2011, 01:29 PM

thankfully this issue appears to be resolved with 10.7.2.
Thanks again for your feedback all

Forum Links
Forum Rules