Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Ivy Bridge and Radeon 7000M released

Ivy Bridge and Radeon 7000M released
P
Apr 24, 2012, 05:32 AM

Ivy Bridge means that integrated graphics is 50% faster, there is a 35W quadcore for the 13" MBP, and it saves a little energy. Radeon 7000M is basically the Radeon 7000 series with all the model numbers shifted around: The 7900M is the 7800 series, the 7800M is a full 7700 and the 7700M is a nerfed 7700. We haven't seen nVidia's mobile chips yet, but it sure seems like there are a lot of new mobile circuitry coming out. The MBP update should be right around the corner.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Apr 24, 2012, 06:48 AM

I wish they'd just use sensible numbering systems so you could tell when one card is better than another without having to take a degree in semiconductor fab.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

P  (op)
Apr 24, 2012, 07:12 AM

The purpose of marketing is not to help you to make an informed decision.

It's not too hard to figure out. If you look up the stats, you can see all the relevant data. Number of processing cores (universal shaders) times clockspeed is the shading power, and the memory clockspeed times the width of the memory bus is memory bandwidth. More in either of those numbers is better.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Apr 24, 2012, 08:28 AM

Heh. My TiBook had a Radeon 9000, a decade ago. Give it only 1 or 2 more years, and the MacBook Pros will finally catch up!

mduell
Posting Junkie
Apr 24, 2012, 11:55 AM

P  (op)
Apr 25, 2012, 12:19 PM

Most rumors seem to indicate a dual GPU GTX 690, which could possibly kinda-sorta make sense if they used two slightly nerfed chips, either with lower clocks or some cores disabled (otherwise I don't see how they have the yield to do mroe than paperlaunch), but I have no idea what the crowbar is about.

Forum Links
Forum Rules