Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > UnblockUs = Me Happy!!

UnblockUs = Me Happy!!
Atheist
Mac Elite
Mar 13, 2012, 01:30 PM

I'm probably behind the curve on this but I've just discovered UnblockUs. It is by far the simplest VPN solution for those of us seeking a US-based IP address. I was always under the impression that I would have to buy a Linksys router, install DD-WRT and configure a VPN connection to a US-based service. Something I wasn't keen on doing and assumed would end up being troublesome. Thus, I never actively pursued it. Enter UnblockUs. I stumbled upon it over the weekend and had it setup in less than 2 minutes...seriously. It's as simple as changing the DNS settings our your router (Airport Extreme in my case), rebooting the router, navigating to the UnblockUs web site for a one-time activation and your done. Every device on your network has access to all of the previously blocked goodies in the US. It costs $4.99/mo. Well worth it if you ask me. My Netflix subscription now gives me access to the US library instead of the crappy Latin American one. Big difference. (Sorry if I sound like a commercial... just excited about the whole thing... been wanting this for quite a while.)

Anyone else using it or a similar service?

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Mar 14, 2012, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by Atheist View Post
I'm probably behind the curve on this but I've just discovered UnblockUs. It is by far the simplest VPN solution for those of us seeking a US-based IP address. I was always under the impression that I would have to buy a Linksys router, install DD-WRT and configure a VPN connection to a US-based service. Something I wasn't keen on doing and assumed would end up being troublesome. Thus, I never actively pursued it. Enter UnblockUs. I stumbled upon it over the weekend and had it setup in less than 2 minutes...seriously. It's as simple as changing the DNS settings our your router (Airport Extreme in my case), rebooting the router, navigating to the UnblockUs web site for a one-time activation and your done. Every device on your network has access to all of the previously blocked goodies in the US. It costs $4.99/mo. Well worth it if you ask me. My Netflix subscription now gives me access to the US library instead of the crappy Latin American one. Big difference. (Sorry if I sound like a commercial... just excited about the whole thing... been wanting this for quite a while.)

Yes i'm using to access UK TV content from Australia.

The best thing is it DNS based so it works with a Jailbroken Apple TV - so I can watch live TV from the UK in Australia.

Its the best solution I found, its very smart how it adapts to what ever country you want to access content from.

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Mar 17, 2012, 01:36 AM

I guess its just us then.

Atheist  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 17, 2012, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by moonmonkey View Post
I guess its just us then.
I guess so.

After a week of having access to the US Netflix library I must say I'm very happy. I've heard people complain about it but they have tons of content. I don't have TV service here in the DR so it's great having access to all of the TV content. I'm catching up on shows I never bothered to download. I only have 1.7 Mbps service so the video quality isn't the best but not awful by any means. I've recently moved and I'm still trying to find out if they have phone lines or cable tv lines to my condo. (Yes I know that sounds weird but they don't always provide them.) If so I may be able to switch to another ISP that provides 10 Mbps service. Right now I'm using WiMAX which in theory can be faster than what I have but the ISP insists that 1.7 (marketed as 1.5) is the fastest they can do.

Why do you jailbreak your Apple TV? I've never bothered to do so with mine.

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Mar 17, 2012, 09:24 PM

you can install xmbc and watch all video types, stream live tv, watch Hulu etc.

For instance if you like Doctor Who you can watch it as it airs in the UK from anywhere in the world.

Koralatov
Senior User
Mar 31, 2012, 07:06 PM

You’re ahead of me on the curve: I hadn’t heard about it until I stumbled across this thread. I’ll have to give it a try.

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Apr 1, 2012, 11:50 PM

You would be able to access the entire US Hulu catalog from Scotland.

It can access nearly anything from anywhere.

grimlust
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 29, 2012, 03:08 AM

Overplay - https://www.overplay.net/smartdns/setup.php is worth looking at, gives DNS based service (with VPN service for backup) and a few extra features unblock cant provide for about the same price.

sargenem
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 1, 2012, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by Atheist View Post

Yup! I have tried unblock-us. Another service I found to be awesome is unotelly.com. Its pretty much the same thing but comes a bit cheaper (and has an annual plan which is way cheap) and offers a few more channels. Worth checking it out.

jediondito
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 19, 2012, 12:00 PM

Hi all!
Also a fan of DNS services. Recently I have tried Tunlr (which is free with some restrictions) and zenok region free from South America to watch Netflix. Nice options that deserve a try.

Cheers

Forum Links
Forum Rules