Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > First impressions: Apple iMac 27-inch (Late 2012)

First impressions: Apple iMac 27-inch (Late 2012)
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Feb 18, 2013, 08:07 AM

The new Apple iMac continues to remain in short supply, particularly if you want to customize it. We've finally received our 27-inch iMac after waiting a solid four weeks from the time we ordered it, with current shipping times still showing a 3-4 week wait. It's a highly customized model and includes a third-generation Core i7 quad-core CPU clocked at 3.4GHz, an Nvidia GeForce GTX 680MX with 2GB of VRAM and a 3-terabyte Fusion drive. We left the RAM at 8GB, and plan to upgrade that ourselves to save a few dollars.

Was the wait worth it? In a word, yes. The new design is quite spectacular when viewed first-hand. Its 5mm thin edges make the previous generation iMac look instantly outdated, even though the older design remains striking in isolation. The new iMac also makes the relatively slim Apple Thunderbolt display look on the thick side, which is saying something given that it primarily functions as a display only. The new iMac design is most fully appreciated from the side and the rear. From the front it would be hard to tell it apart from the older model. However, whenever you need to reach behind the device to turn the power off, for example, the thin bottom bezel and curved back feel beautiful in the hand in a way an iMac has never felt before. You might find yourself reaching behind the device just for the sheer enjoyment of it. The other notable change from the previous generation is the way that Apple has approached the display assembly. Like the iPhone 5, the glass panel of the iMac is bonded to the IPS LCD panel, meaning that there is no longer a gap between the glass and the LCD. This reduces glare and creates a sense of immediacy that was not previously apparent. We also found that the colors appeared to be deeper and more pleasing than even the outstanding panel in the Apple Thunderbolt display. Subjectively it's a step up, even though the resolution remains the same at 2560x1600. We will run a full suite of performance benchmarks for our upcoming full review, but can report that combination of Intel and Nvidia silicon take iMac performance to new heights. File conversions, ripping, running professional class applications, games and general applications all look and feel noticeably fast. The new Fusion drive, which combines a 128GB SSD and traditional spinning platter into one volume is also impressive. It creates an experience that is effectively like using an SDD-only drive in most instances, but also offers the advantage of good onboard storage capacity. The real question is whether it is worth paying the premium to get an iMac with the high-end build-to-order components or go with a standard shipping configuration, which we'll try to answer in our review. As for choosing an iMac over a MacBook Pro, the iMac brings an outstanding level of performance and connectivity that is hard to match in a notebook. However, if you go for the standard configuration, you can almost stretch your budget to accommodate an 11-inch MacBook Air for a similar total outlay, potentially giving you the best of both worlds. Look out for our review of the 27-inch iMac (Late 2012) model this weekend. By Sanjiv Sathiah
( Last edited by NewsPoster; Feb 18, 2013 at 02:11 PM. )

powerbooks
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 18, 2013, 12:46 PM

For a desktop machine, I find it puzzling that Apple eliminate the optical drive. For that, you have to add an external drive, which break the purpose of new design.

kerryb
Feb 18, 2013, 01:02 PM

I ordered my 27" with the custom Fusion drive and I have to say I am very impressed with it. I received my model first week of January and so far I have not missed the optical drive. Of course I have another Mac with a drive just in case I need to use it to burn a cd. Since most software is purchased via download as well as movies and music Apple made the right choice looking forward. My iMac from chime to usable desktop is 15 second, it take a bit longer to shut down though. Screen is lovely and its is speedy. My 2 year old iMac at home now seems pokey. The one benefit in regards to the thinner body is less weight when moving the iMac to clean my desk or if it ever needs repair. I love this machine.

cgc
Professional Poster
Feb 18, 2013, 05:50 PM

Apple removed serial and parallel ports before anyone else (en masse) and replaced them with USB ports. There was a bit of an outcry but then it was realized Apple was right. I think the optical drive is not necessary but it is something I use a few times a month so I'd hate to see it go as I don't buy all my movies and music electronically yet.
"Like a midget at a urinal, I was going to have to stay on my toes." Frank Drebin, Naked Gun 33 1/3: The Final Insult

Forum Links
Forum Rules