Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > A Day In The Life

A Day In The Life (Page 5)
Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 20, 2017, 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Now you're attacking me? Typical of you to stoop so low with the name calling and making stuff up because your argument is so weak.
I was attacking you? See previous comment about you getting over it.
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Mar 22, 2017, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by Cap'n Tightpants View Post
I was attacking you? See previous comment about you getting over it.
Look, I can't help it that you're obsessed with me and have to disagree with everything I say. People PM me all the time asking me to come to their rescue when you're unfairly attacking them and calling them names.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 22, 2017, 06:24 PM

"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 15, 2017, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
They were feeble to non-existent. Feel free to try again.
Challenge accepted!

Conservative goals are for our society to exert economic dominance over other societies, exert physical dominance over other societies should it suit us, and be resilient to the pressure of other societies trying to do the same to us.

We’ve had a lock on the last two for 70 years and counting.

Waragainstsleep  (op)
Posting Junkie
Nov 15, 2017, 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Challenge accepted!

Conservative goals are for our society to exert economic dominance over other societies, exert physical dominance over other societies should it suit us, and be resilient to the pressure of other societies trying to do the same to us.

We’ve had a lock on the last two for 70 years and counting.

Again, its not easy to prove that it happened solely due to conservative policy or action. Lets not forget thats its the GOP who have typically under regulated, under taxed and overspent in between Democrat governments picking up the pieces and fixing the economy for the last twenty years. How does that translate to them being solely or even chiefly responsible for the stability or resilience you speak of?
Then theres the question of whether they do it for the electorate at all rather to line their own pockets.

I'll assert it again: The Republican Party have done nothing good for the American people in 40+ years.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 15, 2017, 11:32 PM

That was supposed to be the first two goals. Sorry about that.

Safari just crashed and nuked my post. I’m going to be too cranky to give an actual reply for a moment.

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 15, 2017, 11:35 PM

We have had military dominance for the last 70 years because of liberal policy and action?

Waragainstsleep  (op)
Posting Junkie
Nov 16, 2017, 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
We have had military dominance for the last 70 years because of liberal policy and action?
Anyone can order from the catalog. Its the liberals making the cheques clear right?
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 16, 2017, 12:44 AM

I’m not sure I understand the check clearing comment.

A liberal society is going prioritize military dominance?

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Nov 16, 2017, 03:30 AM

My take was that somehow liberals are the only ones keeping the country financially solvent.

Waragainstsleep  (op)
Posting Junkie
Nov 16, 2017, 06:02 AM

My take was that somehow liberals are the only ones keeping the country financially solvent.
That has been the case for some time now. The economy boomed under Clinton and recovered from utter disaster under Obama did it not? Both were left with economic messes to clear up because Bushes fought wars and cut taxes and regulations.

I realise I'm speaking in very broad, oversimplified terms here but you are attributing 70 years of economic success to the one party that has been less financially responsible and successful for the last 35 at least.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Nov 16, 2017, 06:12 PM

you are attributing 70 years of economic success to the one party that has been less financially responsible and successful for the last 35 at least.
Nope, nobody's doing that.

Waragainstsleep  (op)
Posting Junkie
Nov 16, 2017, 08:20 PM

Nope, nobody's doing that.
Economic superiority and resilience then?

You have to admit, even if we could find a couple of clear cut examples, the GOP has done very little for the American people in a very long time. They've failed to even try to improve American society in even small ways like building more infrastructure and socially they've been worse than useless. It really is the sort of imbalance of achievements that should make people think hard about voting for them again.

If the Dems are Walter White doing some bad stuff to provide a better future for the people they love (and everyone else in this case), the GOP is Pinkman spending the RV money on strippers and meth to impress their friends.

I've been re-watching Breaking Bad.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Nov 16, 2017, 10:03 PM

Economic superiority and resilience then?

You have to admit, even if we could find a couple of clear cut examples, the GOP has done very little for the American people in a very long time. They've failed to even try to improve American society in even small ways like building more infrastructure and socially they've been worse than useless. It really is the sort of imbalance of achievements that should make people think hard about voting for them again.
Politics, economics, and history are more complicated than that, and the fact that you've come to the conclusion you have says more about you than it does the GOP.

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 17, 2017, 03:08 AM

Economic superiority
Economic domination.

Four of the top ten largest corporations in the world by revenue are American. With four times the population, China manages only three, and they’re all state run.

Of course liberals contributed to this. Would we be in the same position of world dominance under even more liberal policies?

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 23, 2017, 10:41 AM

Bumping for a reply.

Waragainstsleep  (op)
Posting Junkie
Nov 23, 2017, 06:47 PM

Firstly I'll ask what good it does the American people that their countrymen are 'winning' at the corporate rankings.
Second I'll note that last time I bothered to check companies like Google, Apple and Microsoft were quite near the top and they are all pretty liberal as far as I know. This demonstrates clearly that you don't need to be conservative to 'win' at business, it simply gives you a headstart when you share your morality (or lack thereof) with the GOP.

I don't know how it helps the American people to have the most of the top ten biggest companies in the world any more than it would if they only had numbers 11-20. Dominance only applies here in a sector by sector basis. Meanwhile the companies that rely on conservative governments in the US like oil companies for example, are exploiting the environment to make their profits. Thats a detriment to the American people. And the rest of the world's people for that matter. Most of them are dodging taxes, another detriment. They do provide jobs no doubt but again, most will outsource everything they can to maximise profits so when you factor all these things you'll be lucky if the balance of good and bad breaks even really. A few jobs against environmental destruction and tax dodges or tax breaks aplenty.

Economic dominance sounds good, but I'm not sure it really is for anyone who doesn't own shares in the right companies.
I'll throw you a bone though: I'm sure some military tech made possible due to GOP administrations huge military spending must have made it downstream to regular citizens in recent decades. Maybe something like GPS? It would require some digging to know for sure but there must be something.

As much as I might be oversimplifying things, it still holds true that the Democrats have repeatedly managed to clean up after Republican economic disasters, restore prosperity, foster innovation in science and tech and greatly forward social progress and equal rights among other good things that have been previously discussed. Why can't the GOP manage a tiny fraction of this? At best it seems all they can do is cut taxes for the already rich so they can claim victory on some global corporate league table. Every suggestion for their list of good contributions is thin or insubstantial or requires moving the goalposts or stretching the truth. Surely it shouldn't be that difficult? Surely even if I give you all the suggestions you've come up with you can see their record is dismal compared to their opposition. Why can't American voters see this too? The GOP has been so dreadfully poor that they simply don't deserve to exist any more. This statement is really difficult to refute. A couple of you will refute it anyway, but you've already demonstrated you can't back that refutation up, so I don't know why you're still defending them. Surely you can see that you're clutching at straws?

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 24, 2017, 03:22 AM

Why can't the GOP manage a tiny fraction of this?
This is asking the gun company why they can’t manage to make any butter.

The GOP, with goals conflictory to those of the Democrats, does a bad job at achieving the goals of the Democrats.

Well, umm... yeah.

By a similar token, for all the positive things one can say about the goals of the Democrats and liberalism, I’m not sure how tightly one wants to cling to the idea they also achieve the goals of the GOP and conservatism.

I mean, if you want to pin Google’s backbone of the surveillance state and Apple’s sweatshops on liberalism, I guess I won’t stop you, but Internet Explorer? You ****in take that back!

Forum Links
Forum Rules