Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > iCal and Exchange Shared Calendars

iCal and Exchange Shared Calendars
Atheist
Mac Elite
Aug 19, 2011, 12:20 PM

I'm beginning to suspect I'm one of just a small handful of users that attempt to use iCal with MS Exchange. I'm on Lion and although I'm not a fan of the new iCal interface, so far it's working well for me. I was surprised to see that when scheduling a meeting I'm able to correctly see the calendars (at least whether or not they are free) of the people I'm inviting. However, I also have several people that report to me and I like to have their entire calendars easily accessible. With iCal I do so via the Delegation tab in the Accounts preferences pane. Again, no problem in setting up the calendars nor with viewing the calendars. I wish iCal offered the side-by-side view that Outlook has. When viewing multiple calendars at once it quickly becomes a jumbled mess.

Anyway, on to my real issue. My point of setting up these other accounts as delegates is of course so I can peruse their calendars. Unfortunately one of the side effects is that I receive all of their notifications and alerts. Turns out I can shut off the alerts, but there seems to be no way to get rid of the notifications. Right now I'm showing 33 and none of them are for me:

Anyone know how I can have full visibility to someones calendar in Exchange without being subjected to their notifications?

I asked in the Apple Discussions but received no responses so I thought I'd try here.

kittonian
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 7, 2011, 08:04 PM

I'm not aware of a way to completely disable the notifications, and to be honest, and as much as I hate to say it, the new MS Office for the Mac has a pretty outstanding Exchange client in Outlook. You might want to look into using that instead of iCal since you're so heavily into Exchange.

On the other side of the equation, we recently compiled the newest Darwin Server and have both a contacts (CARDDAV) and calendar (CALDAV) server up and running, sync'd to our iPhones, and shared across the LAN. It was completely free and works beautifully. I will say that Exchange is definitely a more elegant solution, especially if you need e-mail and shared e-mail folders, but if all you're looking for in calendaring, you might want to give Darwin a shot.
Joshua Aaron
President/CEO
Mac Genius - Apple Macintosh & IT Consulting
http://www.macgenius.com

Forum Links
Forum Rules