Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > extender or router

extender or router
swells
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 8, 2010, 04:39 PM

I am trying to determine whether I need a WiFi extender or a router. I am new to wireless internet as well as Mac. I am trying to get a better WiFi signal from my sister's connection (she lives a few doors down). I am able to connect to hers as well as others (unlocked) in the area, however the signals are generally weak and only available in two rooms of my home. I would like to use my Mac in other areas. Do I need a router or Wifi usb extender adapter. I was told by a guy at Office Depot that I needed an extender specifically an Alfa which sounds good based on other Mac forums, but I do not know how to download the driver. The download is available at Alfa through File sharing?? I am clueless how that works. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Nov 8, 2010, 06:18 PM

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

MyMacBytes
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 13, 2012, 09:09 AM

Well you can get a second router but you'd need to pay the ISP for a second connection or flash it to do the same job as a wireless repeater (which it wouldn't do as well as). So you're better of getting a good extender. There are some really high quality ones which can be more expensive than a router but there are some cheap wireless range extenders as well something like that would cost you around $30 and boost that signal easily enough.

Hope that helps!

Forum Links
Forum Rules