Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Migrate an old white Macbook to a newer Macbook Pro (not new)

Migrate an old white Macbook to a newer Macbook Pro (not new)
Ryan700
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 23, 2012, 08:13 PM

I have an old MacBook Pro that I want to give to my wife. I want to migrate her old white MacBook to it whilst wiping my old stuff completely off of it. Can I do this without formatting the disk HD first and reinstalling the OS before migrating?

ibook_steve
Nov 23, 2012, 11:43 PM

I haven't used Migration Assistant in a while, so I'm not sure if you'll have to wipe and reinstall the OS before using it or if MA will do it for you in one shot. Your best bet would be to do a clean install of the OS, erasing the disk in the process and then using MA.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 28, 2012, 12:57 PM

You're best off wiping the MBP clean when you're ready to migrate your wife's stuff to it.

I believe Migration Assistant will let you migrate a user profile to a machine that's already set up, but if you want to avoid any possible problems, start with a fresh installation of OS X.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Nov 28, 2012, 01:50 PM

It's your wife's machine. So its not a a high security scenario between the two of you. I would do the following:
Connect MacBook to new(er) macBook Pro via firewire
Migrate wifes data etc to MBP using migration assistant.
Delete your account via system preferences
Job done
This method has the advantage that your wife will have access to all the applications see used on her machine plus any useful ones on your old machine while deleting your user account removes all your old data.
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

Forum Links
Forum Rules