Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Need help selecting Photo software

Need help selecting Photo software
davidflas
Mac Elite
Mar 26, 2008, 11:45 AM

I have been hired by a friend to shoot her wedding this coming July, actually a week earlier I'll be shooting my sister's wedding. I have a Nikon D80 and am planning to shoot raw files. I need suggestions on software to process the images and will also need to create some panoramas.. What software do you suggest to do these two things? The only photo app I currently have Photoshop CS2. I am on a budget too...
( Last edited by davidflas; Mar 28, 2008 at 08:52 AM. )
2.7Ghz 15" Mid 2012 MBP 16GB RAM 7.2k 750GB HD anti-glare display|64GB iPad4 ATT LTE|

davidflas  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 26, 2008, 10:53 PM

20+ views and no responses..wrong forum?
2.7Ghz 15" Mid 2012 MBP 16GB RAM 7.2k 750GB HD anti-glare display|64GB iPad4 ATT LTE|

Demonhood
Administrator
Mar 27, 2008, 02:15 AM

do you currently have anything set up for workflow? i prefer using Aperture for the weddings i've shot. it does the job for 98% of processing, and the remaining 2% can be imported into Photoshop for a bit of tweaking. i have Lightroom at work but i still prefer the interface in Aperture. but hey, there's a demo for both, so you can choose.

as for panoramas, Photoshop should be fine. CS3 has a much better stitching utility, but it's not that difficult to do manually. i'm not sure what software Nikon includes for such tasks (Canon has ImageStitcher).

davidflas  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 28, 2008, 08:57 AM

My current workflow is using iPhoto as a viewer, then using Photoshop to process the photos. I've been considering getting Aperture and Upgrading to the newest version of photoshop. I'm eager to improve my meager photo processing skills, and thought that learning about Aperature would be a good way to do it. I'll download the demos and mess around with them over the weekend. Thanks for your tips!

Veltliner
Mac Elite
Apr 4, 2008, 08:28 PM

If you upgrade to CS3 you get a much better version of Bridge. You can do everything you want with this combination. Upgrade price is 200$, and as far as I have heard, worth it. And, as for panoramas, Photomerge is much, much better in CS3 than in CS2.

Other option is to stay with CS2 and invest 260$ in Lightroom. You can do the basic preparing for RAW in Lightroom, and then go to Photoshop.

But, remember, you will get the same Adobe Camera Raw software in CS3 as Lightroom has. Bridge isn't as good as Lightroom for volume work, but I wouldn't worry about that because of one wedding.

My recommendation for these reasons. Get the upgrade to CS3 for 200$.

Forum Links
Forum Rules