Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Just bought my first car!

Just bought my first car! (Page 3)
auto_immune
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 15, 2009, 02:35 AM

Is it my imagination, or am I seeing some subtle clues as to why Rob was banned the first time?

Looks like maybe he will soon be banned again?

auto_immune
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 15, 2009, 02:38 AM

BTW - nice car! (whats up with the front/end grill??)

downinflames68
Baninated
Dec 15, 2009, 03:42 AM

Cool it looks almost like a real performance car. Meaning an evo.

Railroader
Banned
Dec 15, 2009, 03:52 PM

sek929
Posting Junkie
Dec 15, 2009, 03:57 PM

Most people pick a car based on looks, interior quality, and gas mileage. Performance matters to a select few, and therefore should not be the only litmus test to judge a car by.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 15, 2009, 04:00 PM

You gotta have the extra HP, sek. I mean, if i can't pull out of the grocery store and hit highway speeds a second or two faster, the ice cream will melt before I get home.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Dec 15, 2009, 04:06 PM

Gonna have to set up my truck with some speed holes then.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 15, 2009, 04:07 PM

Only the roar of the evo engine can adequately cover the sound of me sobbing over my flaccid penis.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Dec 15, 2009, 04:10 PM

You really shouldn't have your penis out when driving a performance car, kills the lateral skidpad tests.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 15, 2009, 04:11 PM

I refer to it as my "sway bar."

downinflames68
Baninated
Dec 15, 2009, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
Most people pick a car based on looks, interior quality, and gas mileage. Performance matters to a select few, and therefore should not be the only litmus test to judge a car by.
It matters when you are spending thirty ****ing thousand dollars, Sek. Especially when there are MUCH BETTER cars out there for less money. Also, the performance versions have a MUCH MUCH higher resale value. Take for example the old Dodge Neon. In 2005, one could get a regular neon for around 15-16 thousand dollars, OR, you could get the turbo SRT4 for around $19.5-20k.

Today, the SRT4 still is worth about 11-13k, whereas the normal model is worth 3-4.5k. If you bought the normal neon, you lost $12,000 in value. If you bought the SRT4, although you spend a bit more, you only lost $7-9k in value.

Used, it's even better. Let some other sucker take hte initial 3-5k value hit, pick one up a few years old, and get a reliable car for about half the price of a new one, with better performance.

Paco500
Professional Poster
Dec 16, 2009, 07:35 AM

I had one of these:

As my first car. 1978 Honda Civic CVCC, in red. Paid $225. Spent $400 a few months later putting in a stereo. It was fun being a dumb kid.

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 16, 2009, 08:43 AM

My first was a '62 Comet in black (with red interior). Very nice car, very fun to drive. When you're 16, that makes a huge difference. It's a good thing it didn't have a huge engine, performance transmission and suspension and so on, because I could have gotten myself into a lot more trouble than I managed with the stock setup.

In driver's ed, my son HATED their Mustang. Too powerful, the throttle was too touchy, and visibility wasn't great due to the long hood. I'm glad he felt that way, because now he's a safe and careful driver who still has fun driving instead of someone still going through rehab because he thought the only speeds for a car were "stop" and "full out."

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

boy8cookie  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 16, 2009, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
SST or 6-speed?
SST

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 16, 2009, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by downinflames68 View Post
It matters when you are spending thirty ****ing thousand dollars, Sek. Especially when there are MUCH BETTER cars out there for less money. Also, the performance versions have a MUCH MUCH higher resale value. Take for example the old Dodge Neon. In 2005, one could get a regular neon for around 15-16 thousand dollars, OR, you could get the turbo SRT4 for around $19.5-20k.

Today, the SRT4 still is worth about 11-13k, whereas the normal model is worth 3-4.5k. If you bought the normal neon, you lost $12,000 in value. If you bought the SRT4, although you spend a bit more, you only lost $7-9k in value.

Used, it's even better. Let some other sucker take hte initial 3-5k value hit, pick one up a few years old, and get a reliable car for about half the price of a new one, with better performance.
Rob, what is it with you of late? You started out nice and - well, not "relaxed", but civil.

You're turning into an asshole, fighting battles that aren't yours and expounding on truths that are preferences.

Winter depression?

Time for a break?

downinflames68
Baninated
Dec 16, 2009, 03:46 PM

I just hate seeing people spend buttloads of money on mediocrity. Not sure why that bothers me, other than.. sweet jesus... for 3 grand I'd bump up my S6 to about 380hp, then buy a spec Miata for 7-8k, and maybe pick up another boat or something. Then go on vacation for a month. Then put 5-10k in savings.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Dec 16, 2009, 04:01 PM

My first was a 1996 Volvo 850 T5 5-speed handed down from my dad. The 5-speed was very rare in the US and eventually got stuck in 3rd... so we had to drop the 4-speed auto in, which really wasn't too bad; power was way more smooth here at 6.5k feet. It wasn't the best first car (except for being built like a bomb shelter), parts were pretty expensive. My Accord is a much better car in most ways.

Like this, but white:

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 17, 2009, 07:51 AM

I just hate seeing people spend buttloads of money on mediocrity. Not sure why that bothers me, other than.. sweet jesus... for 3 grand I'd bump up my S6 to about 380hp, then buy a spec Miata for 7-8k, and maybe pick up another boat or something. Then go on vacation for a month. Then put 5-10k in savings.
See, and to me, spending money on cars, let alone upgrading them (unless the part needs to be replced anyway and my mechanic can spare me any or convince me it's worth the the extra investment) is monumentally stupid. I'm not unaware of the benefits, but unless it's going to result in a more comfortable/safer/drastically cheaper ride for me and my family, I'd MUCH rather go buy a synth or something.

downinflames68
Baninated
Dec 17, 2009, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
See, and to me, spending money on cars---- is monumentally stupid. I'm not unaware of the benefits, but unless it's going to result in a more comfortable/safer/drastically cheaper ride for me and my family, I'd MUCH rather go buy a synth or something.
Good. We agree. 30k for a boring car is monumentally stupid.

boy8cookie  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 17, 2009, 05:03 PM

I paid less than 30 for the car, quite a bit less than 30, actually. Knowing the GM of the dealer has its perks.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 17, 2009, 06:07 PM

So is 5k for a non-boring car (if there is such a thing—though some cars can be better-looking than others, all cars are essentially boring). To me and Spheric. Obviously not to you, nor to boy8cookie. That was the whole point.

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Dec 17, 2009, 09:01 PM

Regardless of the bickering, I like the new car. My friend just bought a Lancer a couple of months ago (not sure about the specifics, other than "new" and "blue"), and I approve.

Now I just gotta save up enough money to replace my car:

(Standard disclaimer: not actually my car, but remarkably similar photo from the tubes. Same year, same color, same body style.)

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

downinflames68
Baninated
Dec 17, 2009, 10:33 PM

Yeah gee a fast looking car with an automatic transmission, what's not to like? I think you guys should start a MacNN car club of new expensive cars that look fast but have automatic transmissions.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Dec 17, 2009, 10:46 PM

Yeah gee a fast looking car with an automatic transmission, what's not to like? I think you guys should start a MacNN car club of new expensive cars that look fast but have automatic transmissions.
How long are you going to pound this into the ground?

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 17, 2009, 10:48 PM

Shall we get back on track? Thanks! Good show, guys!

Rob, considering how few people actually know how to drive anymore, it really doesn't make that much difference whether my car has an automatic or not. The idjit in the Eclipse can't make it to second without losing a lot of speed while he shifts, and I'm at the next light waiting for him.

Boy8cookie, how goes the "getting a new car" process?

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Dec 17, 2009, 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
Rob, considering how few people actually know how to drive anymore, it really doesn't make that much difference whether my car has an automatic or not. The idjit in the Eclipse can't make it to second without losing a lot of speed while he shifts, and I'm at the next light waiting for him.
I'd rather have them learn how to properly use a turn signal

downinflames68
Baninated
Dec 18, 2009, 12:44 AM

Huh?

It's awesome. You spend a metric butt-ton of money on something slower and not as cool as something you could get used, AND you get to lose MORE money!

mduell
Posting Junkie
Dec 18, 2009, 01:31 AM

Rob drives a car that weighs over 2 tons empty and he's criticizing a Lancer?

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 18, 2009, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
I'd rather have them learn how to properly use a turn signal
Same here, but seeing the guy's face when I pass him (without trying) in my Honda Civic is pretty awesome.

dav
Mac Elite
Dec 18, 2009, 09:47 AM

i prefer to drive manual (it's a control thing, not a power thing), but my commute has gotten so bad in the last ten years driving has become tedious most of the time. stop and crawl. on a highway. so i sold the 5spd maxima after eight years. the new sedan is auto, awd, good audio system, and has enough power and techno-doodads to make driving still enjoyable. and i'm getting old.
one post closer to five stars

paul w
Mac Elite
Dec 18, 2009, 10:16 AM

It's awesome. You spend a metric butt-ton of money on something slower and not as cool as something you could get used, AND you get to lose MORE money!
Whatever point you're trying to make is lost in your being a complete asshole.

Rumor
Dec 18, 2009, 02:10 PM

Huh?

You do realize that he is in Hawaii and options are probably limited, right? Also, he didn't buy the car for the sticker price.

Also, do you realize that it isn't your ****ing car and he can buy whatever the **** makes him happy, right?

Please stop acting like a complete douche.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 18, 2009, 02:13 PM

If anyone is curious, the time it took "new rob" to revert to "old rob" is roughly 6 months.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 18, 2009, 02:38 PM

Christmas single after having been married must really suck.

boy8cookie  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 18, 2009, 03:22 PM

It went well, everything is settled, and I'm in love with my new ride.

downinflames68
Baninated
Dec 18, 2009, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by paul w View Post
Whatever point you're trying to make is lost in your being a complete asshole.
No no no. I'm not wishing death upon anybody, anyone's SUV to tip over, or anything like that. I'm just saying the idea of spending that much cash on a car that is going to rapidly depreciate like nobody's business, while being fairly mundane, when there are more exciting, better performing, cooler cars out there for cheaper that depreciate less, is a bad decision. If he's happy with an automatic wannabe Evo, fine. Thank god it isn't me.

"In my life, I have prayed but one prayer: oh Lord, make my enemies ridiculous. And God granted it."
- Voltaire

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Dec 18, 2009, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by Phileas View Post
Keyless entry and ignition is the best.
Yes, especially when your friends steal your car and drive it as far as possible before the car no longer detects the key and shuts the engine off in the middle of a street. (I love Top Gear. )
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

downinflames68
Baninated
Dec 18, 2009, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by Rumor View Post
You do realize that he is in Hawaii and options are probably limited, right? Also, he didn't buy the car for the sticker price.
Options? Limited? Hawaii?! Have you SEEN the sweet crap rolling around in Hawaii?

There are tons of clean modified rides in Hawaii. Not that everything has to be modded; even a Stock Evo 9 would be outperform the lancer in every category, including resale value and purchase price.

Also, do you realize that it isn't your ****ing car and he can buy whatever the **** makes him happy, right?
Definitely. And I hope he is happy. But you do realize that I am an automotive enthusiast and when there are choices out there that are clearly superior, you can see why I find someone blowing thirty grand on a mediocre car annoying right? I'm sorry I am coming across as an asshole. Boycookie, I wish you and your lancer the best of luck. Hopefully this one lasts longer than the last one, and you have many thousands of miles of happy motoring ahead of you. I'm glad that you're glad.

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
If anyone is curious, the time it took "new rob" to revert to "old rob" is roughly 6 months.
I'm not calling the guy an idiot, I'm disagreeing with his decision. That's it.

Christmas single after having been married must really suck.
I'm not single. I have been dating a hot lebonese girl for a while now.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 18, 2009, 04:24 PM

I'm not calling the guy an idiot, I'm disagreeing with his decision. That's it.
30k for a boring car is monumentally stupid.
Oh, but I think you are.

But more importantly, the fact that you won't shut up about is the really obnoxious part. You said your piece. People disagreed with you. And you can't. let. that. go.

downinflames68
Baninated
Dec 18, 2009, 04:31 PM

You are right. I kept repeating the same thing over and over expecting people to understand/change. Pointless. It's let go. I'm not going to keep on about it.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Dec 18, 2009, 04:32 PM

Options? Limited? Hawaii?! Have you SEEN the sweet crap rolling around in Hawaii?

Looks like Kathy Kinney driving a Miata.

boy8cookie  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 18, 2009, 04:36 PM

[.img]2009_0209Aristo0132.jpg[/img]

[.IMG]IMG_7540-570x380.jpg[/IMG]

[.IMG]Lances_STI_shoot_-24.jpg[/IMG]

There are tons of clean modified rides in Hawaii. Not that everything has to be modded; even a Stock Evo 9 would be outperform the lancer in every category, including resale value and purchase price.
None of those cars appeal to me. I bought the car that does appeal to me. I really don't care if you think it was the right or wrong decision, I bought it for me - not you.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Dec 18, 2009, 05:10 PM

You shoulda got this car.

CreepDogg
Mac Elite
Dec 18, 2009, 06:00 PM

When you're tooling around the county roads in southern Wisconsin, manual transmissions are great fun. But when you're stuck in traffic much of the time, the trade-offs of an automatic start to make a lot more sense.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 18, 2009, 06:13 PM

I'm not single. I have been dating a hot lebonese girl for a while now.
learn to spell her home country as a christmas present.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Dec 18, 2009, 08:02 PM

learn to spell her home country as a christmas present.
He only does that for women he intends to marry

-t

downinflames68
Baninated
Dec 18, 2009, 09:12 PM

I'll have you know that I received an infraction for talking about things that are "off topic" in this thread, when I was discussing the car that this ****ing thread is about, so... really not seeing how you guys are able to post about my personal life in a thread about cars without receiving infractions for it.

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 18, 2009, 11:20 PM

Rob, you can't see infractions other people get. Posting about you is off topic too. However, monopolizing the thread by trying to get everyone to agree to your opinions is "more" off topic...

Forum Links
Forum Rules