Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > Ajax: Well I 'm impressed...

Ajax: Well I 'm impressed...
skalie
Mac Elite
Jul 13, 2006, 12:53 PM

http://www.dhtmlgoodies.com/scripts/...to-basket.html

The beginning of the end for Flash?

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jul 13, 2006, 02:23 PM

Sadly, no, because Ajax is still inferior to Flash for pointless flashy full-page animation.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Obi Wan's Ghost
Baninated
Jul 13, 2006, 04:04 PM

You are confusing Ajax with Flash that is something completely different. Ajax is Javascript calling the server for information to update a page dynamically. And the animation you saw in the shopping basket was not Ajax.

Synotic
Mac Elite
Jul 13, 2006, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by Obi Wan's Ghost
You are confusing Ajax with Flash that is something completely different. Ajax is Javascript calling the server for information to update a page dynamically. And the animation you saw in the shopping basket was not Ajax.
Doesn't Flash have the capability to continuously call a server and update its display? ESPN uses it for a lot of its live content. That may have been what skalie was referring to.

Obi Wan's Ghost
Baninated
Jul 13, 2006, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by Synotic
Doesn't Flash have the capability to continuously call a server and update its display? ESPN uses it for a lot of its live content. That may have been what skalie was referring to.
Flash is a multimedia module that does not update HTML. Ajax is javascript that updates html/xml/xhtml without having to refresh a webpage. The two perform very different functions. Any animations you see on an Ajax enabled page is created by DHTML techniques which will never supercede Flash.

Synotic
Mac Elite
Jul 13, 2006, 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by Obi Wan's Ghost
Flash is a multimedia module that does not update HTML. Ajax is javascript that updates html/xml/xhtml without having to refresh a webpage. The two perform very different functions. Any animations you see on an Ajax enabled page is created by DHTML techniques which will never supercede Flash.
I was just referring to Flash's ability to update it's own display, not the HTML which is used to embed the Flash in the first place. Don't some sports sites use it to maintain live score updates and visual displays of games without constantly reloading the page? Prior to Ajax, Flash (and perhaps some other proprietary web applications) was the only way to provide this kind of continually-served content. Now, it isn't necessary to rely on Flash, and similar things can be done with straight HTML and JavaScript, like with Yahoo's GameTracker and ESPN's live scoreboards.

Obi Wan's Ghost
Baninated
Jul 14, 2006, 01:24 AM

Originally Posted by Synotic
Now, it isn't necessary to rely on Flash, and similar things can be done with straight HTML and JavaScript, like with Yahoo's GameTracker and ESPN's live scoreboards.

Ajax has been around for a long time but it takes time for people to find interesting uses for technology. Ajax (Asynchronous JavaScript and XML) is just the fancy way of saying a developer is using XMLHttpRequest to update a page. I expect lots of sites to use it in the future like forums. We'll be able to log in and post without the pages reloading all the damn time.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jul 14, 2006, 01:37 AM

They already have that here with the quick reply feature.
Chuck
___

Obi Wan's Ghost
Baninated
Jul 14, 2006, 05:05 AM

Originally Posted by Chuckit
They already have that here with the quick reply feature.
On digg they have it for digging and the log in form but not for replying in the comments.

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Jul 14, 2006, 12:05 PM

I was blown away to find out that Microsoft was chiefly responsible for creating AJAX initially, because they were designing a web interface for Outlook. Microsoft... who knew they could make something cool

That said, As has been mentioned: AJAX and Flash is like comparing Fish and Mountain Goats. They do some of the same basic things, but really have nothing to do with each other, and most people are going to ask you why you're comparing Fish and Mountain Goats.
2008 iMac 3.06 Ghz, 2GB Memory, GeForce 8800, 500GB HD, SuperDrive
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

skalie  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 14, 2006, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by SirCastor
That said, As has been mentioned: AJAX and Flash is like comparing Fish and Mountain Goats. They do some of the same basic things, but really have nothing to do with each other, and most people are going to ask you why you're comparing Fish and Mountain Goats.
Well ( er I made the original comment ), as people get more and more adept at using AJAX, DHTML or whatever the correct terminology is, I feel that the "bells and whistles" normally associated with flash sites turn out quite often not to be flash anymore.

The original link I posted, a couple or so years ago I would have expected a right click to reveal it as flash, in fact I wouldn't have even checked, nowadays I do.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jul 14, 2006, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by SirCastor
I was blown away to find out that Microsoft was chiefly responsible for creating AJAX initially, because they were designing a web interface for Outlook. Microsoft... who knew they could make something cool
Well, Microsoft created XMLHttpRequest; the rest of it was already good to go.
Chuck
___

skalie  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 14, 2006, 12:39 PM

... and the irony being that the Eolas lawsuit has sabotaged the AJAX model a little, or someit?

Chris Graham
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 14, 2006, 03:10 PM

I think it's very funny that Microsoft invented the key technology that allows AJAX to work many many years ago, yet virtually nobody gives them any credit. When, however, Microsoft doesn't invent something yet goes on to support it it's always about how Microsoft is "ripping off" (e.g. tabbed browsing).

Obi Wan's Ghost
Baninated
Jul 14, 2006, 04:49 PM

MS is given credit for it. It isn't given credit for ignoring its potential uses elsewhere.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jul 14, 2006, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by Chris Graham
I think it's very funny that Microsoft invented the key technology that allows AJAX to work many many years ago, yet virtually nobody gives them any credit. When, however, Microsoft doesn't invent something yet goes on to support it it's always about how Microsoft is "ripping off" (e.g. tabbed browsing).
Microsoft invented the name "XMLHttpRequest." All the rest of AJAX it's used today is not theirs. They didn't invent XML, they didn't invent HTTP, they didn't invent JavaScript, they didn't invent DOM, they didn't even invent a portable implementation of that one JavaScript funciton.
Chuck
___

Obi Wan's Ghost
Baninated
Jul 15, 2006, 08:00 AM

Check this place out

http://www.logopond.com/

It's a place where artists can submit logos. What I love is the use of Ajax throughout the site. You can see the use of Ajax in the rating system, the submission and registration system.

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Jul 15, 2006, 12:41 PM

Did they even invent the XMLhttpRequest object, wasn't that created by the mozilla team after they saw IE's activeX-http-requestor-thinga-ma-doodad?

Getting back to flash and DHTML (which is really where you can compare flash and another web technology.) Flash I think will always be on top because to build the animation, you don't have to worry about scripting. I don't know of any DHTML tools which build wysiwyg...
2008 iMac 3.06 Ghz, 2GB Memory, GeForce 8800, 500GB HD, SuperDrive
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

skalie  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 15, 2006, 12:47 PM

.... although imho ( as a flash designer/developer ) the power of flash lies in the scripting.

That being said if "dhtml", or whatever the freaking terminology is called, can get me the same results as actionscript does, I'm sold, hands down.

Forum Links
Forum Rules