Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > imac modem problem

imac modem problem
nick01
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 25, 2003, 07:28 AM

I have a iMac 400 DV running 8.6 and the itnernal 56k modem appears to have failed. I've tried all the obvious things, resetting the preferences, zapping the pram (you never know!), reinstalling system software, checked the wiring by connecting up my laptop (it works ok) The system profiler fails to detect any information on the modem, either saying it is 'in use' (it isn't) or it fails to find it at all. I now can't connect to the internet after a week or so of intermittent problems and and can't even get a dialling tone.
So what are my options. I figure they are 1. fix internal (how easy, cost?). 2. Get an external 56k modem (how much? which one? USB or ethernet). 3) what about Airport? does it need the internal modem to work or does it effectively bypass it.
Any help greatly appreciated.

bradoesch
Professional Poster
Mar 25, 2003, 11:45 AM

This could be the right time to move to DSL/cable
As for repairing/replacing the modem, I'm pretty sure you'd have to replace the logic board (motherboard in PC terms.)
Your cheapest fix would likely be an external USB modem.

Brad

TazmanDman
Mar 27, 2003, 06:56 PM

You can get just the modem replaced in an iMac DV (or any other model mac for that matter) without having to replace the logic board. I do it all the time as tech at an AASP.

However, I would still agree with the above post and move to cable/dsl or US Robotics USB modem due to the costs/labor it would take to put a new modem in.

Good luck!

- Taz

bradoesch
Professional Poster
Mar 27, 2003, 09:33 PM

Originally posted by TazmanDman:
You can get just the modem replaced in an iMac DV (or any other model mac for that matter) without having to replace the logic board. I do it all the time as tech at an AASP.

However, I would still agree with the above post and move to cable/dsl or US Robotics USB modem due to the costs/labor it would take to put a new modem in.

Good luck!

- Taz
I always thought it was soldered on the motherboard. How do you replace it?

TazmanDman
Mar 28, 2003, 04:58 PM

for all iMac G3 models, whether slot-load or tray-loading the modems are located underneath the logic board. you actually have to take the logic board off and turn it over to take it off and replace.

for all iMac FP's the modems are on top of the logic board, similar to most Power Macs.

Paul Stephen C.
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 28, 2003, 09:13 PM

I would strongly advise an external DSL ethernet modem. There have been reported probs with USB modems, as yet unresolved.

I researched this a month ago, in advance of getting my new iMac, and I've been amazed at the difference it makes. Imagine downloading the Jaguar 10.2.4 upgrade (40+ megs) on dialup! The most recommended ethernet modem was/is the Netgear DSL DG 814 - there's now a wireless version if you think you need it. (You can also plug in three additional machines - eg XBox for online gaming!)

Incidentally, your iMac should run at least MacOs9. I had my Powermac 200MGHz 4400 running Os9.1 on a 56k modem until I got the new iMac a week or two back. It worked just fine (I may keep it for Os9 only apps - as I only run OsX on the iMac).

If you want the budget option, how about a refurbed iMac or eMac - there are some really good deals, now that attention has switched to the flat panels. They still beat the **** out of the competition for value and useful lifespan IMHO.

"The best lack all conviction,
while the worst are filled with a
passionate intensity" (Lou
Reed's version of a Yeats quote)

Paul Stephen C.
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 28, 2003, 09:21 PM

I would strongly advise an external DSL ethernet modem. There have been reported probs with USB modems, as yet unresolved.

I researched this a month ago, in advance of getting my new iMac, and I've been amazed at the difference it makes. Imagine downloading the Jaguar 10.2.4 upgrade (40+ megs) on dialup! The most recommended ethernet modem was/is the Netgear DSL DG 814 - there's now a wireless version if you think you need it. (You can also plug in three additional machines - eg XBox for online gaming!)

Incidentally, your iMac should run at least MacOs9. I had my Powermac 200MGHz 4400 running Os9.1 on a 56k modem until I got the new iMac a week or two back. It worked just fine (I may keep it for Os9 only apps - as I only run OsX on the iMac).

If you want the budget option, how about a refurbed iMac or eMac - there are some really good deals, now that attention has switched to the flat panels. They still beat the **** out of the competition for value and useful lifespan IMHO.

"The best lack all conviction,
while the worst are filled with a
passionate intensity" (Lou
Reed's version of a Yeats quote)

bradoesch
Professional Poster
Mar 29, 2003, 11:29 PM

Originally posted by TazmanDman:
for all iMac G3 models, whether slot-load or tray-loading the modems are located underneath the logic board. you actually have to take the logic board off and turn it over to take it off and replace.

for all iMac FP's the modems are on top of the logic board, similar to most Power Macs.
Is the network card replaceable also?

RBattin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 30, 2003, 06:12 PM

Originally posted by bradoesch:
Is the network card replaceable also?
No, that is integrated on the logic board.

Forum Links
Forum Rules