Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > playfair strips iTMS DRM

playfair strips iTMS DRM
Mithras
Professional Poster
Apr 4, 2004, 08:38 PM

As perhaps you've just read here, someone has ported the Windows QTFairUse utility to OS X, to make a tool that strips the DRM from iTunes Music Store files.

Perhaps this has been out awhile, but this is the first I've heard of it.
Note that you have to be authorized to play the files to be able to strip the DRM.

I'm compiling it now, and will report back on how well it works.

ThisGuy
Mac Elite
Apr 4, 2004, 09:52 PM

is there any other installation documentation available?

i do not understand what this means:

$ ./configure
$ make
$ make install

dole
Forum Regular
Apr 4, 2004, 10:14 PM

Originally posted by ThisGuy:
is there any other installation documentation available?

i do not understand what this means:

$ ./configure
$ make
$ make install
You have to run those from the command line. In the terminal, change to the playfair directory, then run ./configure, then when that is done run make, then finally make install. I'm not sure if the make install part will require an admin password or not, if it does run sudo make install and type the admin password.

./configure
make
make install or sudo make install

Mithras  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 4, 2004, 10:19 PM

Well, I've tested it, and it works great. Unlike the QTFairUse utility, it works faster than realtime -- takes a few seconds per song on my Powerbook. (Also, I guess I was wrong about it being based on QTFairUse; it cites a different set of tools as its origin)

ThisGuy, in addition to what dole said, note that you need to have the Developer Tools (aka XCode) installed. That either came with your copy of OS X, or is a free download from http://developer.apple.com.

ThisGuy
Mac Elite
Apr 4, 2004, 10:24 PM

my god am i command line retarded. i kept trying to run make while i was already in the playfair directory, but i kept adding the navigation to the directory. i am running it....NOW.

clt2
Forum Regular
Apr 4, 2004, 10:27 PM

Did one of the slashdot editors move to MacNN?
playfair is a tool for Mac OS X that strips the digital rights management protection from tracks purchased at the iTunes Music Store, converting them to ordinary AAC audio files without any loss in quality. The utility is believed to be the first to circumvent Apple's DRM without employing quality-sapping lossy compression formats to do so. The current version, 0.2, requires Xcode to be installed and must be built and run from the Terminal. An iPod or Mac authorized to read the purchased track is also needed.
From the playfair page:
The original version of this program was derived from a Windows-only program called m4p2mp4.
and m4p2mp4 was just a standalone tool based on the FairPlay code from VideoLAN.

Btw, does Steve force Apple's lawyers to work on weekends? The downloads links are all dead

TheMosco
Mac Elite
Apr 4, 2004, 10:50 PM

Originally posted by clt2:

Btw, does Steve force Apple's lawyers to work on weekends? The downloads links are all dead
University of Minnesota mirror from sourceforge works.
AXP
ΔΣΦ

clt2
Forum Regular
Apr 4, 2004, 10:50 PM

Originally posted by clt2:
The downloads links are all dead
It's just the ver 2.0 links which are dead. Ver 1.0 links are working.

clt2
Forum Regular
Apr 4, 2004, 10:53 PM

Originally posted by TheMosco:
University of Minnesota mirror from sourceforge works.
Yes, I just checked again and not all 2.0 links are dead. It's probably just that all mirrors have not been updated with the new release.

Mithras  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 4, 2004, 10:55 PM

Here's a little script to run (after you've installed playfair).
First, cd to your iTunes Music directory, i.e. usually
cd "~/Music/iTunes/iTunes Music/"

then make a script containing this
pico m4p2m4a.sh

Paste it in:
Code:
#!/bin/sh for artist_dir in * do if [ -d "$artist_dir" ]; then echo "$artist_dir" for album_dir in "$artist_dir/"* do if [ -d "$album_dir" ]; then echo " $album_dir" for old_file in "$album_dir/"*.m4p do new_file="${old_file%.*}.m4a" if [ -e "$old_file" ]; then if [ ! -e "$new_file" ]; then playfair "$old_file" "$new_file" else echo "skipping $new_file" fi fi done fi done fi done
And run it:
chmod a+x m4p2m4a
./m4p2m4a

It will run through your whole library, converting tracks.
( Last edited by Mithras; Apr 4, 2004 at 11:03 PM. )

krove
Mac Elite
Apr 4, 2004, 11:51 PM

Awesome script, thank!

How did it come to this? Goodbye PowerPC. | sensory output

geekwagon
Senior User
Apr 5, 2004, 01:11 AM

This is definitely cool. I have 5 or 6 Macs that I like to play my music on depending on where I am, so I was just today using VLC to decrypt the songs for my own use. Doing it at 1:1 time is kind of annoying, not to mention manually copying all the tags. It drives me nuts in particular that I have to authorize computers to listen to a stream, especially.

One caveat is that it doesn't copy the disc-of-disc tags from the original file. All the files I have purchased from the store have this tag, even if they aren't multiple disc collections. It does copy the comments, album art, etc. I don't know about Composer as I have already converted all the files that had data in the Composer field...

3R1C
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 5, 2004, 03:56 AM

Is there interest in me wrapping this in a gui?
3R1C

waffffffle
Mac Elite
Apr 5, 2004, 04:14 AM

So I installed it. I assume that you then run the shell script that is located at src/playfair/playfair but when I run it I get the following: "Couldn't find iTunes key or an iPod."

My iPod is broken. Can this program still work for me?

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Apr 5, 2004, 05:15 AM

This could hurt Apple's business with the iTMS. I do not think this is a very good thing.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Maelman
Forum Regular
Apr 5, 2004, 05:21 AM

Here is how you need to format it, waffffffle :

USAGE: playfair [-at] <infile> <outfile>
-a don't copy artwork
-t don't copy tags

Hope that helps.

geekwagon
Senior User
Apr 5, 2004, 06:17 AM

Originally posted by CharlesS:
This could hurt Apple's business with the iTMS. I do not think this is a very good thing.
I doubt it. For one thing, this only allows you to remove the DRM from files that you would be able to play anyway. Sure, then you could share them with other people, but that is the exact same as the millions of CDs per week that are sold.

Personally, I plan on actually buying MORE from the iTMS thanks to this. I have no problem buying music (I buy CDs fairly regularly) but I have more than 3 Macs in my household. So, I was forced to buy CDs instead of purchasing from the store to give me the flexibility I need to play the music I own.

If they made the limit 5 or 10 instead of 3 computers, I probably wouldn't bother removing the DRM. I doubt it would encourage any more piracy than the current 3 computer limit, as people aren't going to give their iTMS password out to people that aren't in their immediate family.. But, I'm sure this has more to do with the record industry's paranoia about losing control than what Apple wants.

geekwagon
Senior User
Apr 5, 2004, 06:21 AM

Originally posted by waffffffle:
So I installed it. I assume that you then run the shell script that is located at src/playfair/playfair but when I run it I get the following: "Couldn't find iTunes key or an iPod."

Do you have a PC or Virtual PC? You can use the instructions here at VLC's site to get the keys from iTunes for Windows. Playfair will find them in the ~/.drms folder, just like VLC does (at least it did for me).

Mr Scruff
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 5, 2004, 07:12 AM

Originally posted by 3R1C:
Depends on if you want the following:

- Media reports in mainstream news claiming that Apple's drm has been rendered useless
- Likelihood of .wma becoming the standard format for digital music delivery (which is incompatible with the Mac)
- Apple sending you threatening legal letters

If that sounds like a good idea then go right ahead.

Mr Scruff
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 5, 2004, 07:17 AM

Originally posted by geekwagon:
I doubt it. For one thing, this only allows you to remove the DRM from files that you would be able to play anyway. Sure, then you could share them with other people, but that is the exact same as the millions of CDs per week that are sold.

Personally, I plan on actually buying MORE from the iTMS thanks to this. I have no problem buying music (I buy CDs fairly regularly) but I have more than 3 Macs in my household. So, I was forced to buy CDs instead of purchasing from the store to give me the flexibility I need to play the music I own.

If they made the limit 5 or 10 instead of 3 computers, I probably wouldn't bother removing the DRM. I doubt it would encourage any more piracy than the current 3 computer limit, as people aren't going to give their iTMS password out to people that aren't in their immediate family.. But, I'm sure this has more to do with the record industry's paranoia about losing control than what Apple wants.
This isn't about whether or not this circumvention promotes piracy of aac. It's about propaganda. There is currently a struggle going on between MS & Apple for which format is adopted by the recording industry as their chosen means of delivery. If MS wins this struggle, we all lose (even you).

At the moment, Apple has the advantage, but the negative media coverage they will undoubtedly get from something like this will work against them. If in 5 years time online music is exclusively in the realm of wma, it's software like this that will be partly to blame.

geekwagon
Senior User
Apr 5, 2004, 07:38 AM

Originally posted by Mr Scruff:
This isn't about whether or not this circumvention promotes piracy of aac. It's about propaganda. There is currently a struggle going on between MS & Apple for which format is adopted by the recording industry as their chosen means of delivery. If MS wins this struggle, we all lose (even you).

At the moment, Apple has the advantage, but the negative media coverage they will undoubtedly get from something like this will work against them. If in 5 years time online music is exclusively in the realm of wma, it's software like this that will be partly to blame.
Well, this is getting off-topic, but a 30 second Google search seems to imply that there are already at least 2 programs that will remove the DRM from WMA files using the same method that this playfair program is using (obtaining the key from a system that is authorized to play the content, and then decrypt the audio with it.)

I agree that it probably shouldn't be made too easy and high-profile though, because then Apple is likely to come after you with a DMCA complaint (circumventing a control-device.)

As for who is going to "win," I can't believe that either system is going to win in the condition they are in now. Most people aren't going to buy a significant amount of their music online as long as there are more restrictions to put up with than a CD has. Apple knows this, this is why they are trying to make this stuff as transparent as possible. But unfortunately there are limits to how far the record industry is willing to allow fair-use. It is certainly within their rights to put up as many roadblocks as they want, but just from a purely pragmatic point-of-view I have never known a more restrictive technology to win out even over a less convenient, but less restrictive one (think DIVX vs DVD rentals...)

Now, they could stop making CDs and then we would be forced to use them. But while downloads are still less than 1% of the music market I doubt they will do that anytime soon. The music industry would implode within a week.

L E
Forum Regular
Apr 5, 2004, 10:16 AM

Anyone care to host this? I can help mirror it as needed.

GORDYmac
Mac Elite
Apr 5, 2004, 10:30 AM

If this wasn't a big deal when the Windows version came out, why fret when the Mac version comes out?

I don't think it's a big deal. I'd burn a CD before I could figure how to use this software.

jclarkv
Forum Regular
Apr 5, 2004, 11:00 AM

Originally posted by waffffffle:
No, I don't think so (on OS X, anyway).

jclarkv
Forum Regular
Apr 5, 2004, 11:11 AM

How do I add playfair to the path?

L E
Forum Regular
Apr 5, 2004, 11:52 AM

http://le.omgwtfbbq.net/playfair-0.2.tar.gz

In case it's still unavailable elsewhere.

edit: keep this link on MacNN only.
( Last edited by L E; Apr 5, 2004 at 12:34 PM. )

BZ
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 5, 2004, 12:15 PM

A little of both:

This is not good for Apple's case to get music companies to put more and more of their music online and to trust Apple's DRM. It will hurt Apple and the iTMS if the artists and companies don't think it will protect their work.

The good of it is that if Apple were ever to abandon the iTMS (gasp) or go completely out of business in 10 years (gasp gasp) all of us who have spent hundreds or thousands of dollars in the iTMS could de-DRM our music and get on with our lives. It has been my one concern with buying music from iTMS (and I buy a lot) is that if it ever fails, that music retains no value becuase I can't (easily) take it with me. This is unlike CDs where, in the worse case scenario I were to have to buy a PC that could not play AAC, I would re-rip the 500 CDs to whatever is the new format.

Not sure if you guys care, but this might be breaking some agreement you virtually signed when you purchased from the iTMS.

BZ

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Apr 5, 2004, 01:15 PM

Originally posted by Mr Scruff:

Exactly.

And to those who have been pointing out that WMA has been cracked as well - since when have the media treated Apple fairly? They'll publicize this, and not the WMA crack, and people will all think that AAC has failed. Remember, perception is more important than reality. This is very bad news for Apple.

I would not write that GUI.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Turias
Mac Elite
Apr 5, 2004, 01:22 PM

Originally posted by CharlesS:
Remember, perception is more important than reality. This is very bad news for Apple.
Very true. Just look at the primaries...

but that belongs in a different forum.

ccrider
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 5, 2004, 03:23 PM

please...

krove
Mac Elite
Apr 5, 2004, 04:01 PM

Hmm...using the script above to automate the de-DRMing of my iTunes protected AAC files, some of the resulting *.m4a files are unplayable in either iTunes (quits unexpectedly), Finder (also quits unexpectedly), or even my iPod (restarts).

I'm not sure if it was Playfair's or the script's fault. I will try it again on an affected song tonight using the direct playfair call (as opposed to the automated script).

Fortunately, I have backups of all my bought, protected AAC music. (I was a bit zealous and decided I could delete the .m4p files from iTunes.)

How did it come to this? Goodbye PowerPC. | sensory output

geekwagon
Senior User
Apr 5, 2004, 04:47 PM

Originally posted by krove:
Hmm...using the script above to automate the de-DRMing of my iTunes protected AAC files, some of the resulting *.m4a files are unplayable in either iTunes (quits unexpectedly), Finder (also quits unexpectedly), or even my iPod (restarts).

I'm not sure if it was Playfair's or the script's fault. I will try it again on an affected song tonight using the direct playfair call (as opposed to the automated script).

Fortunately, I have backups of all my bought, protected AAC music. (I was a bit zealous and decided I could delete the .m4p files from iTunes.)
I have noticed that depending on when a song was purchased, it might be signed with a different version of the key. I extracted my keys using iTunes and VLC for Windows as described in the above link, and I ended up with 3 different keys. I had the same problem as you (some files broke iTunes, etc) until I played the ones that were broken in VLC for Windows and got another key spit out. Looks like the error checking is not that great. Not unusual for a 0.2

macgyvr64
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 5, 2004, 06:34 PM

I have noticed that depending on when a song was purchased, it might be signed with a different version of the key. I extracted my keys using iTunes and VLC for Windows as described in the above link, and I ended up with 3 different keys. I had the same problem as you (some files broke iTunes, etc) until I played the ones that were broken in VLC for Windows and got another key spit out. Looks like the error checking is not that great. Not unusual for a 0.2
How does the iPod play the songs if several different keys exist? If it has all the keys it needs in one place, why not just have playfair take advantage of them...

I've had some luck with it. I tried it on my brand new PowerBook with a just-purchased audio file, and it worked great. When I tried it on my PowerMac, it worked on one song, but not on another. It seems to be failing on songs purchased over a month ago... weird. I'll just wait for a newer release.

I poked through the source code a little, too. I still can't figure out exactly where on the iPod the key is stored. He's setting the environment to the iPod_Control directory at one point, it seems, but I see no mention of an actual file. I did find several suspicious-looking files in my iPod_Control directory, which had some encrypted content...as far as pico was concerned, anyway.

waffffffle
Mac Elite
Apr 6, 2004, 07:03 AM

Do you have a PC or Virtual PC? You can use the instructions here at VLC's site to get the keys from iTunes for Windows. Playfair will find them in the ~/.drms folder, just like VLC does (at least it did for me).
Thanks that tutorial worked for me. Also I had to add playfair to my path.

I've only bought one file ever from iTunes and that was just an experiment. However now I feel like I am more likely to purchase songs off of iTunes now that I know I can easily transfer them between all of my computers and share the songs with my family. While many may see this as bad for iTMS business, this will actually give them more of my business.

ccrider
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 6, 2004, 01:50 PM

Can someone post step by step instructions on how to get this to work, including the shell script that Mithras posted, setting up paths using "set path", and generally how to get around the damn terminal.

I almost got it to work, but I'm obviously doing something wrong. I think I'd like to start over and do it right.

Can someone explain it to me like I'm a 5 year old? I tried, I really did..

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Apr 6, 2004, 01:53 PM

Originally posted by krove:

Slashdot has a report about Playfair mangling files and causing iTunes to crash.

Bluebomber21XX
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 7, 2004, 02:00 AM

Yes, I believe there is. It's in the works.

http://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?forum_id=366137
The online resource for Rockman & Forte!
http://www.bluebomber.com/

ccrider
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 8, 2004, 01:51 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Bluebomber21XX:
[B]Yes, I believe there is. It's in the works.

Playfair v.03 (a la' GUI) is ready- playfair v0.3

YES!!

zeebe
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 8, 2004, 03:46 PM

nothing
( Last edited by zeebe; Apr 8, 2004 at 03:54 PM. )

Support a charity as you search the Internet - Use GoodSearch - I support Sacred Heart School.

3R1C
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 8, 2004, 06:36 PM

looks like the project was pulled. did any of yall get the source with the gui? if so could you message me off board so i can get a copy?
3R1C

Montanan
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 11, 2004, 11:10 AM

Yep, according to MacSlash,, Sourceforge pulled the program after hearing from Apple legal. It's now found a new home on an India-based server, though ... and it's now up to version 0.5, complete with a simple Cocoa GUI.

3R1C
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 11, 2004, 08:53 PM

hows about bustin' us a link =)
3R1C

clt2
Forum Regular
Apr 12, 2004, 12:30 AM

Mobile Mod
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 12, 2004, 09:18 PM

I just downloaded the 0.5 version and whenever i drag a file to be converted it says it done but when I go back to the folder with it the file is still the same. It also finished in a few seconds and I am guessing it should take longer. What am i doing wrong?

Justin
AlPB 15" Rev. C (1.5GHz) | 30GB 5G Apple iPod Video | SE S710a

Apple Certified Portable Technician, Apple Certified Desktop Technician, Apple Certified Help Desk Agent

absmiths
Mac Elite
Apr 12, 2004, 09:38 PM

Am I the only one for which this program does nothing? I tried the gui, and the only change was the filename (.m4p added) but the command line doesn't do anything. I tried v0.5 and nothing.

EDIT: Nevermind - the extension was always .m4p - so no change at all.
( Last edited by absmiths; Apr 12, 2004 at 09:55 PM. )

absmiths
Mac Elite
Apr 12, 2004, 10:04 PM

Originally posted by absmiths:
Am I the only one for which this program does nothing? I tried the gui, and the only change was the filename (.m4p added) but the command line doesn't do anything. I tried v0.5 and nothing.

EDIT: Nevermind - the extension was always .m4p - so no change at all.
Okay, this is bizarre. I plugged my iPod in and suddenly the whole thing worked - even for users other than the one for which the iPod was in use.

bmedina
Mac Elite
Apr 13, 2004, 08:17 PM

Apparently you need to disconnect all other firewire devices (other than the iPod, that is) for it to work. And it should only take a few seconds; it's decrypting the file rather than re-encoding it, which is good for quality's sake.

absmiths
Mac Elite
Apr 14, 2004, 12:01 PM

Originally posted by bmedina:
Apparently you need to disconnect all other firewire devices (other than the iPod, that is) for it to work. And it should only take a few seconds; it's decrypting the file rather than re-encoding it, which is good for quality's sake.
And it also appears that the iPod has to be set to mount as a drive. That is what finally did it for me.

mishap
Mac Elite
Apr 14, 2004, 02:08 PM

Originally posted by absmiths:
And it also appears that the iPod has to be set to mount as a drive. That is what finally did it for me.
odd. but, ok.

mishap
Mac Elite
Apr 14, 2004, 02:19 PM

yeah, works great. could come in useful.

Forum Links
Forum Rules