Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > Need help with voting system

Need help with voting system
lothar56
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 30, 2004, 11:19 PM

The middle schoolers in my town are going to rate each other in the areas of character, citizenship, etc. and the principal of the middle school came to me wondering if there was any way for the kids to enter their ratings and have it tallied up automatically, perhaps by a spreadsheet. The catch is we want the kids to be able to vote only once and they shouldn't be able to see how others have voted. I thought there could be some way to do this online, through a javascript mailto form, but that would involve someone having to go through every email and manually tally the results.
Does anyone have any suggestions for an easier way to do this?
iBook G4-1.33/768 || B&W G3-450/640 || Beige G3-G4 450/352 || Beige G3-400/256 in Classic case || Beige G3-300/256 || PB 5300cs Pictureframe 100/24

DUNSEL
Forum Regular
Apr 30, 2004, 11:24 PM

Well no, but it would probably involve more work and expense than it's worth to you. To really fix it so they could only vote once, and so no human would have to tally the votes, would be a major undertaking, involving a database, and a login. It's not worth it for a one shot deal.
I saw a woman with a sweatshirt that said "Guess", so I said, "Implants?"

lothar56  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
May 1, 2004, 12:42 AM

It would be ok if I had to tally them because i'm getting paid for it i guess. would a mailto form suffice?
I think we could rely on the honor system as far as voting goes, as long as they included their names.
I'm open to any suggestions here!
iBook G4-1.33/768 || B&W G3-450/640 || Beige G3-G4 450/352 || Beige G3-400/256 in Classic case || Beige G3-300/256 || PB 5300cs Pictureframe 100/24

DUNSEL
Forum Regular
May 1, 2004, 12:50 AM

Well you could get around the database if you're going to tally them yourself, and a mailto: doesn't require javascript. But a javascript cookie would be one way to discourage multiple votes. I say discourage because if they know enough to delete all cookies then they'd be able to vote again.

How many catagories are there in total? You could just do a simple HTML page, if you trust them to vote once, and really make it simple.

DUNSEL
Forum Regular
May 1, 2004, 12:54 AM

Here's an examply of a very simple mailto HTML form. You can ignore the return valid() call. That's a javascript validation function to be sure no fields are blank:

<table width="25%"><tr><td colspan="2">Please give us some information<br /><br /></td></tr>
<form method="post" name="mail" action="mailto:[email protected]?subject=custome rs" enctype="text/plain" onSubmit = "return valid();">
<tr><td>First&nbsp;Name:</td><td>&nbsp;&nbsp;<input type="text" name="fname" size="20"></td></tr>
<tr><td>Last&nbsp;Name:</td><td>&nbsp;&nbsp;<input type="text" name="lname" size="20"></td></tr>
<tr><td>Phone&nbsp;Number:</td><td>&nbsp;&nbsp;<input type="text" name="phone" size="20"></td></tr>
<tr><td>Email&nbsp;Address:</td><td>&nbsp;&nbsp;<input type="text" name="email" size="20"></td></tr>
<tr><td>Approximate&nbsp;Budget:</td><td>$<input type="text" name="budget"></td></tr>
<tr><td colspan="2">Please give a description of the project<br />
<textarea name="message" rows="8" cols="40"></textarea><br />
<input type="submit"
name="Submit"
value="Submit"
>
<input type="reset"
name="reset"
value="Clear Form" ></td></tr></table>

Chris O'Brien
Grizzled Veteran
May 1, 2004, 06:28 AM

What would be wrong with sending Dunsels form to a PHP script which could put all the information into a small MySQL table (which would then make it trivial to stop people voting more than once - since you could ask for their name...)? You could then write another PHP page to query the table and show results etc...
Just who are Britain? What do they? Who is them? And why?

Formerly Black Book

DUNSEL
Forum Regular
May 1, 2004, 09:05 AM

Nothing. Just seems a lot of fuss for a one shot deal.

Forum Links
Forum Rules