Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Kerry reenacted combat scenes for film while in Vietnam

Kerry reenacted combat scenes for film while in Vietnam
NYCFarmboy
Mac Elite
Jul 28, 2004, 01:15 PM

CONTROVERSY SURROUNDS KERRY CONVENTION FILM: WAR SCENES REENACTED

**World Exclusive**

A bombshell new book written by the man who took over John Kerry's Swift Boat charges:__ Kerry reenacted combat scenes for film while in Vietnam!

The footage is at the center of a growing controversy in Boston.

The official convention video introducing Kerry is directed by Steven Spielberg prot�g� James Smoll._

MORE

Smoll was given hours of Kerry's homemade 8 millimeter film to incorporate into the convention short, the DRUDGE REPORT has learned.

"Kerry carried a home movie camera to record his exploits for later viewing," charges a naval officer in the upcoming book UNFIT FOR COMMAND._

"Kerry would revisit ambush locations for reenacting combat scenes where he would portray the hero, catching it all on film._ Kerry would take movies of himself walking around in combat gear, sometimes dressed as an infantryman walking resolutely through the terrain._ He even filmed mock interviews of himself narrating his exploits._ A joke circulated among Swiftees was that Kerry left Vietnam early not because he received three Purple Hearts, but because he had recorded enough film of himself to take home for his planned political campaigns."

UNFIT FOR COMMAND will be unleashed next month by REGNERY._[It ranked #1,318 on the AMAZON hitparade Wednesday morning.]

The films shot by Kerry's own Super 8 millimeter hand-held movie camera have the grainy quality of home movies.

MORE

The BOSTON GLOBE reported in 1996 that the Kerry home movies "reveal something indelible about the man who shot them - the tall, thin, handsome Naval officer seen striding through the reeds in flak jacket and helmet, holding aloft the captured B-40 rocket. The young man so unconscious of risk in the heat of battle, yet so focused on his future ambitions that he would reenact the moment for film. It is as if he had cast himself in the sequel to the experience of his hero, John F. Kennedy, on the PT-109."

"John was thinking Camelot when he shot that film, absolutely," says Thomas Vallely, a fellow veteran and one of Kerry's closest political advisers and friends.

NEW YORK TIMES bestselling author Lt. Col. Robert "Buzz" Patterson in his new book RECKLESS DISREGARD, details one of the claimed Kerry reenactments for film:

"On February 28, 1969, now in charge of PCF 94, Kerry came under fire from an enemy location on the shore. The crew's gunner returned fire, hitting and wounding the lone gunman. Kerry directed the boat to charge the enemy position. Beaching his boat, Kerry jumped off, chased the wounded insurgent behind a thatched hutch, and killed him. Kerry and his crew returned within days, armed with a Super 8 video camera he had purchased at the post exchange at Cam Ranh Bay, and reenacted the skirmish on film."

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 28, 2004, 01:21 PM

Point A: Who cares? Did he try to use the footage to further his campaign? Were you exposed to it?

Point B: The following image is a dramatization (i.e., it's a fake, a re-enactment for photo-op):

doctorkeyser
Forum Regular
Jul 28, 2004, 01:36 PM

The following, not intended to be a dramatization, is much more disturbing:

UNTeMac
Mac Elite
Jul 28, 2004, 02:19 PM

Criticism of George Bush = policy for the last four years.

Criticism of John Kerry = character assasination

White house here we come.
"This show is filmed before a live studio audience as soon as someone removes that dead guy!" - Stephen Colbert

Logic
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 28, 2004, 02:24 PM

Originally posted by UNTiMac:
Criticism of George Bush = policy for the last four years.

Criticism of John Kerry = character assasination

White house here we come.
I've actually not heard any criticism of Kerry's policies. Just about his character. Did I just miss it or is it really true that the Bush camp has nothing to offer to the debate except character assasinations?

And it hasn't been criticism of W, it's been criticism of his policies.

"If Bush says we hate freedom, let him tell us why we didn't attack Sweden, for example. OBL 29th oct

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 28, 2004, 02:25 PM

Originally posted by Logic:
I've actually not heard any criticism of Kerry's policies. Just about his character. Did I just miss it or is it really true that the Bush camp has nothing to offer to the debate except character assasinations?

And it hasn't been criticism of W, it's been criticism of his policies.
You basically rephrased exactly what UNTiMac was saying.

Logic
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 28, 2004, 02:27 PM

Originally posted by Spheric Harlot:
You basically rephrased exactly what UNTiMac was saying.
Oops

Misunderstood his post

second time I misread a post today, hmmmmmmmm

"If Bush says we hate freedom, let him tell us why we didn't attack Sweden, for example. OBL 29th oct

PacHead
Baninated
Jul 28, 2004, 02:40 PM

I've actually not heard any criticism of Kerry's policies.
That's because nobody knows about his policies.

People who vote for Bush are voting because of Bush.

People who vote for Kerry are voting because he's not Bush.

This is according to recent polls.

Logic
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 28, 2004, 02:41 PM

Originally posted by PacHead:

People who vote for Bush are voting because of Bush.

People who vote for Kerry are voting because he's not Bush.

This is according to recent polls.
Are you trying to tell me that the people who are voting for Bush aren't doing it because he ain't Kerry?

PacHead
Baninated
Jul 28, 2004, 02:45 PM

Are you trying to tell me that the people who are voting for Bush aren't doing it because he ain't Kerry?
That's exactly what I'm telling you. The people voting for Bush are doing it because they are voting for the man.

This is as opposed to many who are voting for Kerry, simply because he is not Bush, a different situation.

Logic
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 28, 2004, 02:47 PM

That's exactly what I'm telling you. The people voting for Bush are doing it because they are voting for the man.

This is as opposed to many who are voting for Kerry, simply because he is not Bush, a different situation.
Third post gone wrong today!!! What's up with me......

It was supposed to be are instead of aren't.

But I understand your point

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 28, 2004, 02:47 PM

That says a lot about the dismal state of the American political landscape.

Tater Salad
Banned
Jul 28, 2004, 02:48 PM

Well that's interesting, Mr. Kerry. You played homemovies in nam.
Why the hell would he do that? See first post quote from the navy officer.

That's almost as good as him in that bleak room. It looked like a chip manufacturer or something.
God I love the Drudge Report.

doctorkeyser
Forum Regular
Jul 28, 2004, 02:50 PM

President Bush said it best when he said: "There�s an old saying in Tennessee, I know its in Texas probably Tennessee too, that says �Fool me Once...shame on...shame on you...Folmuah can�t get fooled again."

davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 28, 2004, 02:51 PM

I've actually not heard any criticism of Kerry's policies. Just about his character.
I'm sure there would be plenty of criticism of his policies if he had any that he stuck to consistently. But it's pretty clear that he's bound to change his views based on whether or not they are popular. He'll change them depending on geographic location or who he's talking to.

Bush, like him or dislike (hate?) him, you pretty much know where he stands. He's got principles that he sticks to. Some of them I really love, some of them I can't agree with. But I know where he stands.

I can't say the same for Kerry. But the way he does things worked ok for Bill Clinton, one of the most savvy politicians in history.

However, if you are going to say that people don't criticize his policies, you can't call them "mudslingers" or accuse them of "negative campaigning" when they point out that his voting record is "even more liberal than Ted Kennedy's." Or whatever the criticism might be.

And to Spheric Harlot: I think the reason this story is even finding it's way out is because that very footage will be used tomorrow night as part of a video to "introduce" Kerry to the nation. i.e. Used to further his campaign.

I admire his service in Vietnam, and I thank him for doing it. But he can't have it both ways - he can't use his service in Vietnam to further his campaign while criticizing President Bush for using his service to the nation as during the events of September 11th and the months after to further his.
[ sig removed - image host changed it to a big ad picture ]

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 28, 2004, 02:53 PM

Unfortunately that's true. Hopefully during the campaign his specifics and general political philosophy will come out more clearly, but I doubt it. He seems to have made a decision to be just a kind of safe, conventional, non-entity. It will probably work, but that's too bad.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jul 28, 2004, 02:54 PM

Maybe Clinton will join in the fun and shoot a re-enactment of him writing a letter so he could dodge the draft...

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Invictus
Forum Regular
Jul 28, 2004, 02:56 PM

Originally posted by NYCFarmboy:
CONTROVERSY SURROUNDS KERRY CONVENTION FILM: WAR SCENES REENACTED

**World Exclusive**
'World Exclusive' What world are you inhabiting?

So how do you feel about Bush being AWOL.

Here's an exclusive - Policies are the meat of this election.

< PREVIOUS NEXT >

doctorkeyser
Forum Regular
Jul 28, 2004, 02:58 PM

Originally posted by Randman:

Maybe Clinton will join in the fun and shoot a re-enactment of him writing a letter so he could dodge the draft...
That would be funny. A lot funnier than someone else enlisting in a military safe-haven like the Air National Guard and not even bothering to show up.

PacHead
Baninated
Jul 28, 2004, 02:59 PM

Originally posted by Invictus:
Policies are the meat of this election.

In that case, Bush is a 12 lb. prime rib steak, while Kerry is a junior whopper.

Where's the beef ?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 28, 2004, 03:00 PM

In that case, Bush is a 12 lb. prime rib steak,
with an obvious case of Mad Cow disease.

Invictus
Forum Regular
Jul 28, 2004, 03:20 PM

In that case, Bush is a 12 lb. prime rib steak, while Kerry is a junior whopper.

Where's the beef ?
Not in here...

Gratuitous character assassination.
< PREVIOUS NEXT >

Dale Sorel
Mac Elite
Jul 28, 2004, 04:50 PM

Originally posted by Randman:
Nah, I'm waiting to see the Lewinsky reenactment

BlackGriffen
Professional Poster
Jul 28, 2004, 05:09 PM

Here you go. Get up off your lazy butt and read if you really want to know what his stances are. You can even save them, and compare them in the future to check for waffles.

That said, Kerry's plan thus far has been to keep a low profile and let Jr. self destruct. He'll have to change gears eventually, but it hasn't worked so badly thus far.

BlackGriffen

spacefreak
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 28, 2004, 05:21 PM

Watch the RNC-distributed video that shows John Kerry taking about 8 different stands on Iraq over 30 taped appearences.

Real Player Link ... Windows Media Link

The bottom line: Kerry stands for nothing other than himself.

I'll take Bush, or even Ralph Nader. Is it too late for Joe Lieberman to launch an independent run? Just please... anybody but Kerry.
( Last edited by spacefreak; Jul 28, 2004 at 05:40 PM. )

BlackGriffen
Professional Poster
Jul 28, 2004, 06:22 PM

Never mind. I actually read the first couple, and they're fluff pieces. Long on broad goals, short on plans and specifics.

Damnit, Howard Dean had more specifics than this last August, for crying out loud.

BG

spacefreak
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 28, 2004, 10:05 PM

What an interesting "Introduce Kerry to the Nation" period:
Word circulating late Tuesday around the Fleet Center was that, hoping to emulate the dramatic entrance President Bill Clinton made to Staples Center in Los Angeles four years ago, Sen. John Kerry was planning a bofo entrance in Boston.

According to a Kerry campaign source, staffers have arranged for Kerry and his so-called "Vietnam Brothers in Arms" to meet up at Logan Airport upon his arrival there, and to then ride across the Boston Harbor to the Charlestown Navy Yard, where supporters will meet him.

"We want him and his buddies on the prow of a boat, just cruising into Boston. It will look awesome," says a staffer. "After Clinton in L.A., you can't just have a guy arrive in town, there has to be something else added."
and
According to a Kerry advance staffer on the way back from Florida, where Kerry spent part of Monday, the candidate saw a Brevard County Sheriff deputy, who was part of his security motorcade, crash his motorcycle.
The motorcade continued past. But according to the advance staffer, Kerry wanted to turn around. According to the staffer, Kerry asked handlers if there were news cameras around. And insisted that if there were, they had to go back to check on the officer so they didn't look uncaring.

Kerry's motorcade did stop and, in front of several cameras, the candidate did check to see if Sgt. Eric Daddow of the Brevard County Sheriff's Office was okay. But the candidate didn't hang around to find out if the officer was badly injured. He was, with a broken shoulder and serious scrapes all over his body from hitting the roadway.
and

After John Kerry's busy Monday in Florida, Kerry flew on a small charter jet to Norfolk, Virginia. (His campaign 757 was experiencing mechanical problems.) In Norfolk Tuesday morning Kerry called on the president to expedite intelligence and security recommendations made by the 9 /11 Commission.

Kerry also called for an extension of the 9/11 Commission for an additional 18 months, to serve as a kind of overseer of the implementation of their recommendations. Kerry was able to make the extension request, according to some in his campaign, due to back channel conversations between 9/11 Commission staffers and the campaign. What's more, Kerry's call for the Bush administration to expedite commission recommendations came when Kerry staffers were aware of high level inner agency meetings in the White House and around Washington over the past 4 days to lay out implementation plans for at least a full third of the commission's recommended changes in American intelligence gathering and evaluation.

"The Bush team isn't touting how much they're actually doing, so we might as well try to take credit for it," says a Kerry adviser in Washington. "Bush will make the changes and Kerry can now take credit by claiming it was his calls that forced Bush's hand."

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Jul 28, 2004, 10:30 PM

Originally posted by spacefreak:
Watch the RNC-distributed video that shows John Kerry taking about 8 different stands on Iraq over 30 taped appearences.

Real Player Link ... Windows Media Link

The bottom line: Kerry stands for nothing other than himself.

I'll take Bush, or even Ralph Nader. Is it too late for Joe Lieberman to launch an independent run? Just please... anybody but Kerry.
wow. That video thingy left no doubt.

Not only did Kerry support the liberation of Iraq - he may have been its staunchest advocate.

I'd almost forgive his complete about-face on the issue if he would merely acknowledge the fact that he changed his position.

Tater Salad
Banned
Jul 28, 2004, 10:47 PM

That was priceless.

greenamp
Mac Elite
Jul 28, 2004, 11:30 PM

I am convinced that Kerry is a Dominion changling sent here to take over earth.

doctorkeyser
Forum Regular
Jul 28, 2004, 11:31 PM

greenamp
Mac Elite
Jul 28, 2004, 11:33 PM

Originally posted by doctorkeyser:
LMAO!!

doctorkeyser
Forum Regular
Jul 28, 2004, 11:34 PM

doctorkeyser
Forum Regular
Jul 28, 2004, 11:35 PM

doctorkeyser
Forum Regular
Jul 28, 2004, 11:35 PM

doctorkeyser
Forum Regular
Jul 28, 2004, 11:36 PM

doctorkeyser
Forum Regular
Jul 28, 2004, 11:37 PM

greenamp
Mac Elite
Jul 28, 2004, 11:39 PM

Uh ok, I laughed once now I think it's lame. You can find a chimp facial expresion to match anyone. You shoulda stopped when it was funny

doctorkeyser
Forum Regular
Jul 28, 2004, 11:41 PM

Originally posted by greenamp:
Uh ok, I laughed once now I think it's lame. You can find a chimp facial expresion to match anyone. You shoulda stopped when it was funny
It is not funny at all. I'll agree with you there.

davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 28, 2004, 11:45 PM

This thread has tons to do with Kerry supposedly reenacting combat scenes...
[ sig removed - image host changed it to a big ad picture ]

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Jul 29, 2004, 01:09 AM

Originally posted by davesimondotcom:
The liberals didn't have any way to defend against that video of kerry - so they did what they always do...made fun of Dubya.

What else can they do? Present a valid explanation?

You liberals got smacked-down and you're acting like it.

Invictus
Forum Regular
Jul 29, 2004, 01:32 AM

Originally posted by Spliffdaddy:
The liberals didn't have any way to defend against that video of kerry - so they did what they always do...made fun of Dubya.

What else can they do? Present a valid explanation?

You liberals got smacked-down and you're acting like it.
No...it was just a dumb thread.
< PREVIOUS NEXT >

dole
Forum Regular
Jul 29, 2004, 04:51 AM

macvillage.net
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 29, 2004, 09:29 AM

Originally posted by Spheric Harlot:
Point A: Who cares? Did he try to use the footage to further his campaign? Were you exposed to it?

Point B: The following image is a dramatization (i.e., it's a fake, a re-enactment for photo-op):
The 9/11 picture of the flag being raised was a re-inactment as well (though done just a few minutes later with the same people).

Quite a few famous pictures are. Simply because everyone wants that great picture for the cover of their publication. If they don't get it the first time, they are very willing to do what it takes to get it again.

And someone like the PR group at the pentagon has no problem re-inacting, because it makes the US military look much better then some half assed photo done real quick during something. Some of the greatest photo's taken were re-inactments.

NYCFarmboy  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 29, 2004, 11:45 AM

Originally posted by davesimondotcom:

It is appropriate to keep in mind that the images were staged for a camera and not real live events, and will be interested to see if there is a disclaimor before the video noting that the images are a dramitization of events that may or may not have happened, but were filmed to make them appear so.
( Last edited by NYCFarmboy; Jul 29, 2004 at 11:51 AM. )

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 29, 2004, 01:27 PM

Just to set the record straight: the second flag raising at Iwo Jima was neither a �fake� nor a �staged� event, nor a reenactment. The famous photo was of an actual event, in fact the cameraman nearly missed it. It�s merely of the second flag raising, as the first flag that had been raised earlier the same day was considered too small for the purpose of boosting morale for marines at the other end of the island. (The whole reason for both, not merely for photographs.)

It most certainly wasn�t done to artificially glorify anyone who was involved- the photographer in question said he couldn�t have staged the event if he had wanted to, and if that had been the intention, he�d have shown their faces.

It wasn�t exactly a walk in the park raising the flag either time. Japanese positions atop the mountain had not begun to be taken. During the first flag raising, a cameraman had to dodge an enemy grenade in order to get the shot. Many of the men involved in either flag raising were very soon after killed in battle.

Apparently the persistent myth of the flag-raising shot being posed, stems from a simple mixup:

The photographer did take a number of �staged� photos of the men posing around the flag. When an editor asked him if he had staged the photos (actually meaning the flag-raising, which wasn�t) the photographer answered yes (thinking the editor meant the other photos) and the myth seems to have persisted ever since.

Invictus
Forum Regular
Jul 29, 2004, 02:27 PM

< PREVIOUS NEXT >

dcolton
Banned
Jul 29, 2004, 02:29 PM

Did Kerry reenact combat scenes for the military or ego?

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 29, 2004, 02:35 PM

Apparently he took a camera and shot some footage while he was in Vietnam. From what I've read, he's hardly in the footage, because he was the one with the camera. Only one or two times did he give the camera to someone else, and it's him walking around or just standing there. Not a single bit of it is him re-enacting anything. What a scandal.

dcolton
Banned
Jul 29, 2004, 02:39 PM

Originally posted by BRussell:
Apparently he took a camera and shot some footage while he was in Vietnam. From what I've read, he's hardly in the footage, because he was the one with the camera. Only one or two times did he give the camera to someone else, and it's him walking around or just standing there. Not a single bit of it is him re-enacting anything. What a scandal.
"Kerry would revisit ambush locations for reenacting combat scenes where he would portray the hero, catching it all on film._ Kerry would take movies of himself walking around in combat gear, sometimes dressed as an infantryman walking resolutely through the terrain._ He even filmed mock interviews of himself narrating his exploits._ A joke circulated among Swiftees was that Kerry left Vietnam early not because he received three Purple Hearts, but because he had recorded enough film of himself to take home for his planned political campaigns."
I don't know what the trurh is, that is why I am asking.

Forum Links
Forum Rules