Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Samba shortcut only mounts once, then question mark (explicit mount fine).

Samba shortcut only mounts once, then question mark (explicit mount fine).
patniemeyer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 7, 2005, 03:29 PM

My Mac will mount my windows box just fine, but treats Samba shares from my unix boxes differently. If I make a shortcut to the share (drag the icon to the right side of the dock) it will mount *once*, but after that if I unmount it the next time I click the shortcut I just get the question mark icon superimposed on the link. I can explicitly mount it with shift-k or whatever and it is working... It's just the shortcut that is broken and only after the first mount/umount.

It's always been this way... I kept hoping that some update would fix it... but no. I think my Samba server is up to date (it's whatever came with Redhat 8.x on my linux box) and does the same with samba on my Solaris box.

I know I can use NFS for these boxes, but UID mapping or authentication is a pain and I've already got samba set up.

Pat
Pat

ChrisF
Senior User
Apr 7, 2005, 04:57 PM

Originally posted by patniemeyer:
It's always been this way... I kept hoping that some update would fix it... but no. I think my Samba server is up to date (it's whatever came with Redhat 8.x on my linux box) and does the same with samba on my Solaris box.
Samba is probably not current on either machine. It's updated rather frequently.
"smbd -V" from the command line will return the version number.
What version of OS X are you running?

Forum Links
Forum Rules