Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Uh Oh. I need some advice from some geniuses...

Uh Oh. I need some advice from some geniuses...
travisimo
Mar 21, 2006, 10:32 PM

Ok.. i have a 17" TiBook with 2gb ram.. Tiger.. I carry it CAREFULLY with me to and from work in a vertical Booq Bag.. Well, two nights ago i was coming home from work late and i tossed it on my couch from my shoulder.. i mean no further than say. 2 feet and my couch is so soft.... I didn't think anything of it but when i opened the lid it said it needed to be rebooted immediatly.. so i rebooted.. it gets to the apple.. and spinny thing then boom.. reboot imeditatly. every time.. How bad did i mess up here fellas.. i mean surley this thing can take more than a two foot toss on a pillowy couch cusion IN a protective carrying bag.. right? haha i hope?

any advice on this would be great.. there isn't an apple store near me at all so i thought for a quick answer i could just post here.. thanks again in advance for any help

trav

onlykaria
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 21, 2006, 10:41 PM

ouch!!!

if there is no external damage you might be able to get apple care to look at it.

the same thing happen to me this morning... i was sitting on the couch with the recliner i reached over for the remote and the mac book pro fell from my lap to the carpeted floor and how has a huge dent on the side of it... it fell like 2feet if that...

i also have a hissing display i am going to make a pro care appointment for friday and hope they will send me a new machine that doesnt have the hissing display.... thats if they dont notice the big dent...
Computers:
Macbook Pro: 17in, 2.16Ghz, 120GB HD, 1.5 GB ram.
iBook G4: 1.07Ghz, 60GB HD, 756mb ram (on sale for parts)

travisimo  (op)
Mar 21, 2006, 10:48 PM

yeah i mean mine was on, but sleeping.. closed.. in a carrying case.. i open it and just "reboot now".. i rebooted it didn't make it past the grey apple.. i can hear the hdd spin up and the cd seek.. i'm totally lost on how to trouble shoot these bad boys.. any advice would be awesome thanks!

iREZ
Professional Poster
Mar 21, 2006, 10:52 PM

i toss my powerbook into my fluffy blankets from time to time (more like placing it real fast and letting go the last second) and it has never ceased to work on me. you might wanna call apple and DONT tell em bout what you did, just tell em it stopped working.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

onlykaria
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 21, 2006, 10:59 PM

i would just take it the neariest apple store after running the basic tips here:
http://www.apple.com/support/macbookpro/
Computers:
Macbook Pro: 17in, 2.16Ghz, 120GB HD, 1.5 GB ram.
iBook G4: 1.07Ghz, 60GB HD, 756mb ram (on sale for parts)

travisimo  (op)
Mar 21, 2006, 11:09 PM

nearest apple store is more than 3 hours away from me.. not really an option unless last resort.. thanks for the tips page.

Yazzir
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 21, 2006, 11:11 PM

Dude, you tossed your operating laptop from two feet? You yarded your hard drive. Bet you never do that again.

travisimo  (op)
Mar 21, 2006, 11:19 PM

it was sleeping. hence inoperable. dork.. try not to sound so dumb on your first post.. be helpful and courteous. and yeah welcome to macnn..

Yazzir
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 21, 2006, 11:25 PM

Dork? Me? I'm not the one who tossed an operating computer, sleeping or not from two feet and then ask "what happened?"

travisimo  (op)
Mar 21, 2006, 11:37 PM

Dude do you know anything about laptops? When they're alseep everything is seized.. It's power is almost completly turned off.. Nothing is operable. It's as good as turned off..

Thats why Apple made it that way.. so you can shut and go and not worry about **** breaking. it was in a protective carrying bag.. tossed onto a pillow basically.

And don't even bother replying to this unless you have something helpful to say. try and make yourself useful

Yazzir
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 21, 2006, 11:45 PM

When they're alseep everything is seized..

Apparently not. Miss I throw my laptop around.

Velocity211
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 21, 2006, 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by Yazzir
Dude, you tossed your operating laptop from two feet? You yarded your hard drive. Bet you never do that again.
If I happen to do this with my PB with SMS enabled, will it screw up my HDD?
iMac 24" | Core 2 Extreme 2.8GHz | 4GB RAM | 500GB HD
PowerBook G4 15" HR | 1.67GHz | 2GB RAM | 100GB HD
R.I.P 1995 Toyota Supra NA-T

Yazzir
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 21, 2006, 11:55 PM

Maybe if you CAREFULLY toss it from two feet. Ya never know til ya try.

mrmister
Mac Elite
Mar 21, 2006, 11:55 PM

"If I happen to do this with my PB with SMS enabled, will it screw up my HDD?"

Hard to say--too many variables. Certainly there is less of a chance of your HD getting screwed up.

Tomchu
Mac Elite
Mar 22, 2006, 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by Yazzir
When they're alseep everything is seized..

Apparently not. Miss I throw my laptop around.
You are a moron. When they're asleep, EVERYTHING is powered off except the RAM. RAM is not mechanical, so impacts/vibrations don't matter.

I toss my sleeping iBook onto fluffy beds from about 1.5 feet all the time. Laptop hard drives can survive quite the G forces when turned off.

jhonizzle
Forum Regular
Mar 22, 2006, 12:13 AM

The thing i don't understand is if it were a problem with the hard drive the computer wouldn't boot, if it were a problem with the ram the computer wouldn't boot....wait i take that back Check your ram if it's two sticks it could be you shook it loose, just take it out and then make sure it's firmly placed back in. it could be a problem with allocating your ram!! we can hope it's something that simple
the other option i would go with is power supply issue/battery

jamil5454
Mac Elite
Mar 22, 2006, 01:25 AM

Sounds like a kernel panic. Try rebooting while holding down the Shift key and see if that gets you anywhere.

ibookuser2
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 22, 2006, 05:44 AM

You likely just unseated the RAM. Open the RAM door and remove and reinstall all of the DIMMs you have installed, even if they look okay.

If that doesn't help, see if you can boot off of the hardware test CD. If you can, it should give some more insight into what's wrong. If you can't, then you have a more serious problem.

Oh, and by the way, there's no such thing as a 17" TiBook

travisimo  (op)
Mar 22, 2006, 12:18 PM

hah my bad 17" Aluminium Powerbook G4 thanks so much for the advice guys i'll check it out asap.

travisimo  (op)
Mar 22, 2006, 12:25 PM

Wow, I checked the seats on the ram, they seemed totally secure but i reseated them anyway for good measure and sure enough, it booted right up. Not one hitch.. Thanks again for your help guys!

trav

Forum Links
Forum Rules