Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Hard drive clicking noise [Recording Attached]

Hard drive clicking noise [Recording Attached]
AppleOptionFour
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 9, 2007, 01:35 AM

I have had two internal hard drives make this noise now. The first was a MacBook and the current is an Intel Mac Mini.

I have reason to think its normal but I am not sure. I am trying to find out if anyone else hears this noise.

You might need a quiet room and the volume turned up to hear it.

The Clicking Noise

Ok. Now turn your volume back down before you scare yourself.

I think it might be related to the continuous download running. Saving all that info to the internal drive while running system functions might cause rapid head movements.

BTW, my SMART Status is "Verified."

Thanks for reading and let me know if you have experienced this.

AOF

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 9, 2007, 09:23 AM

It sounds like the head actuator arm is hitting something. This is Not Good. And SMART can't tell you when a mechanical failure of the actuator arm is impending because it can't tell as long as the head is reading data properly. Of course it could just be that when the arm gets done with a function it parks and that's what's making that sound.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules