Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Apple "Collected" my iphone.

Apple "Collected" my iphone.
travisimo
Jul 8, 2007, 12:00 AM

I was the 3rd person in knoxville, tn to own an iphone. I took it home, activated it perfectly fine, synced all photos contacts music movies fine. Set up my wep wifi, it worked fine. Everything was perfect. Then Monday morning i wake up and i have full bars but the AT&T is gone next to the bars and the edge icon is gone. Wifi is connected though. Of course, all calls failed sms failed but internet still worked thanks to wifi. Power cycled it, Restored it, Took it to AT&T, got a new sim card, Re Activated it. Nothing worked. Still not AT&T next to the bars, thus no calls still. Finally took the sim card out of the iphone, put it in my blackberry.. it worked fine. Made calls great everything worked. Put it back in the iphone. No dice.

Finally i call at&t from the blackberry, the xfer me to apple's tech support. Had to call back from another phone to trouble shoot with my sim card... 4 Hours later the rep tells me they want my iphone to have their technicians study it, figure out whats wrong and document the fix for other people. To do this they'll ship me a brand new one free of charge and give me a 100$ itunes gift card for my trouble and when i get the package... ship back my phone. Of course i had to provide them my credit card information incase i decided not to send the phone back, so they could charge me for another one.

It was really like the phone's cellular function got fried while on my desk in the night. So very very strange. Anyway thought i'd at least share the experience, i havent read or heard about anything similar to it. The 100$ was defiantly nice. i did't expect that. All in all it was apple's fault i suppose but they handled it very well.

Mithras
Professional Poster
Jul 8, 2007, 01:04 AM

Wow, that's very good treatment.

PBG4 User
Senior User
Jul 8, 2007, 04:35 PM

I have never seen Apple so eager to replace questionable hardware like they have been with the iPhone.
20" iMac G5! :D AND MacBook 1.83GHz!
Canon Digital Rebel Kit + 75 - 300mm lens. Yum Yum! :D
Check out my OS X Musical Scales program

MacTheKnife
Jul 8, 2007, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by PBG4 User View Post
I have never seen Apple so eager to replace questionable hardware like they have been with the iPhone.
They're upping the customer service quotient with the iPhone, that's evident from everything we've seen surrounding this particular launch.

chrisutley
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 15, 2007, 02:08 AM

Originally Posted by PBG4 User View Post
They really didn't have a choice in the matter. They are making a first impression in a new market. Add to that all the hype and attention on the iPhone, and it would be suicidal to give the media an excuse to start printing negative headlines and run interviews of angry $600+ iPhone customers.

I don't mean to suggest that they aren't also interested in doing what's right, but I think they decided going into this that they had to be aggressive about replacing handsets and keeping the early adopters happy.
MacBook and iMac Core 2 Duo 24"

ChrisB
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 15, 2007, 01:06 PM

I agree. This is a very high profile item that they are selling to the public. Everyone is watching them. if they make any customer server snafus, they will look very very bad in the public eye. On the other hand, if they deal with these problems in an extraordinary manner to benefit the customer, they are increasing their positive image in the eye of the public. It's good PR. Let's hope they keep it up.
Chris Brown
Media, Brand, and IPTV Consultant

silvercel
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 25, 2007, 02:13 AM

This is how Apple finds things to improve. There is a collection Quota for defective units when a product is released.

Forum Links
Forum Rules