Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Blank DVD not appearing on desktop

Blank DVD not appearing on desktop
02bfoot
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 22, 2007, 12:04 PM

Can anyone assist with problem I'm having with blank DVD-R disk not appearing on desktop. Message reads: The operation could not be completed because you do not have access privileges. Running PowerBook G4 with OS 10.4. System install disk and others show up okay but not the blanks. I have permission. Thanks.

Name : MATSHITADVD-R UJ-825
Type : Disk

Disk Identifier : disk1
Media Name : MATSHITA DVD-R UJ-825 Media
Media Type : DVDROM
Connection Bus : ATA
Connection Type : Internal
Connection ID : Device 0
Device Tree : mac-io/ata-3@20000/@0:0
Locked : Yes
Writable : No
Ejectable : Yes
Mac OS 9 Drivers Installed : No
DVDROM : Yes
Optical Media Type : DVD-R
Device Type : CD-ROM, CD-R, CD-RW, DVD-ROM, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+RW

AppleOptionFour
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 22, 2007, 02:22 PM

What's the model number of your powerbook?

02bfoot  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 22, 2007, 03:01 PM

A1010

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Nov 23, 2007, 05:24 PM

Try repairing permissions?
This sounds like a software issue to me.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

02bfoot  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 23, 2007, 07:11 PM

Did you even read the post? It says right on there that I have permission. I was using Macs before you were born. It's a disk problem with the hardware. You know what: these forums are so useless, I don't even want to be bothered anymore.

keekeeree
Mac Elite
Location: Moved from Ohio's first capital to its current capital
Nov 23, 2007, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by 02bfoot View Post
Can anyone assist with problem I'm having...
Did you even read the post? It says right on there that I have permission. I was using Macs before you were born. It's a disk problem with the hardware. You know what: these forums are so useless, I don't even want to be bothered anymore.
Karma?

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Nov 24, 2007, 08:22 PM

Been using Macs since before I was born have you? Doubt that since I am over 25......

Who gave you permission? Your Mum?
Permissions are attached to every file on your system including mounted volumes such as optical media. If a permission setting has become corrupted, you may lose access to a file or function when you should be able to do as you please with it. It probably won't help but its worth trying since its easier and cheaper than buying and fitting a new optical drive.
It could equally be a permissions issue preventing the burner drivers from loading properly.
You could try setting up a new user account or run an archive & install. If you have another Mac, boot from that one's drive over Firewire Target mode and see if it mounts on the desktop or burns.

I have helped a lot of people over the years on this forum and others. You are by far the most rude and ungrateful.
I honestly don't know why I am still wasting my valuable time trying to help you.

Did I mention I am an Apple Certified Tech?

Fitting a new drive may fix the problem. It may not. Either way it won't prove there is actually a problem with your current drive.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

spiff72
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 25, 2007, 01:30 AM

Seriously? That was the nastiest reply I have seen on these forums in a long time. (I would use the term douche-iest, but I am pretty sure that isn't a word).

I don't think you will be missed if these forums are too much bother for you to deal with.
"Mac Daddy" - 15" MBP, 2.2 GHz Core i7, 8GB, 750GB HDD
"Mommy Mac" - 13" Macbook, 2.4GHz C2D, 2GB, 160GB
"Baby Mac" - 15" PB, 1.5GHz, 1.5GB, 80GB
64GB iPod Touch (4th gen)

Forum Links
Forum Rules