Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > "forward delete key" for PbG4

"forward delete key" for PbG4
HansAro
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 17, 2001, 05:53 AM

I recently switched from PC to Mac and just love it.
However, there is however one thing that I miss, the "forward delete key". I know it is possible to get this function by fn+del but that is an awkward two-hand operation.
Is there a way of making one of the keys function as such? -Ideal would be to replace the function of the eject key (which practically never work anyway).

-don't know if it matters but I have the Swedish version of the keyboard and mainly run OS 10.1

oeyvind
Senior User
Oct 17, 2001, 09:35 AM

try fn-delete

Singrfreak
Oct 17, 2001, 09:44 AM

I know it is possible to get this function by fn+del but that is an awkward two-hand operation.
try fn-delete
<sigh>...be sure to read all of the post everyone! I do it too and jump the gun on replying, then I feel like a monkey

incidentally, check out versiontracker.com and search for "forward delete" and you'll find a program called powerdelete, which makes shift-spacebar a forward delete, although I don't know if you're running X.1 or not...it only runs in X.1, unfortunately
TiBook 500
384 mb RAM
OS X/OS 9 (sep. partitions)

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 17, 2001, 06:21 PM

Thanks for the suggestion. Works for me, but I just use the backwards-delete option.

JHromadka
Mac Elite
Oct 18, 2001, 02:20 PM

I too changed to the Mac from the PC and really miss the forward delete key. I like how in some apps like BBEdit shift+delete works, but I am glad that at least Fn+delete works now in 10.1 (didn't in 10.0.4). What I would really like is to assign forward delete to the extra enter key next to the space bar. I never use that key anyway. Anyone know how?

bugs
Forum Regular
Oct 19, 2001, 01:13 AM

First of all you should learn not to make so many misteaks.

Next you should learn that a certain percentage of misstakes can be ignored -- nobody will notice.

Finally, if you insist on deleting stuff, you should consider the macro program: QuicKeys. It will allow you to have any key do anything. In fact you might be able to program it to automatically forward delete 5 characters every five minutes. Then you can go about your work and forget about deleting things entirely!
iMac 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo 6GB, OS 10.6.8
Macbook Pro 2.2GHz Core i7 8GB. OS 10.6.8
iPhone 3GS 32GB, OS 5 / TiBook / Newton (2)

Amorya
Mac Elite
Oct 19, 2001, 06:05 PM

What I would really like is to assign forward delete to the extra enter key next to the space bar. I never use that key anyway. Anyone know how?
I actually use that key all the time, for confirming dialogues, sending instant messages etc.

To change it, you can (in OS9 anyhow) edit the system resources with ResEdit, but I don't know what specifically to do.

Amorya
What the nerd community most often fail to realize is that all features aren't equal. A well implemented and well integrated feature in a convenient interface is worth way more than the same feature implemented crappy, or accessed through a annoying interface.

Forum Links
Forum Rules