Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Palm 4.0 Hotsync via IrDA

Palm 4.0 Hotsync via IrDA
ibchen
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 3, 2002, 06:11 AM

Has anyone tried Hotsync via IrDA? I am afraid that I will have to go back to OS9, re-install old Palm and re-Sync my data once Palm 4.0 Hotsync does not work via IrDA. Thanks.
PB G4 667, 512RAM, 30 gig HD, DVD, OSX; Palm IIIxe

RBattin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 3, 2002, 10:08 AM

IRDA sync works for me on a Pismo with Palm 4 in OS X using an m505.

ibchen  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 3, 2002, 01:25 PM

Thanks, RBattin. I'm glad to know that it works for you. I think that Pismo is the most reliable Powerbook so far. A friend of mine complains very less about her Pismo. My Titanium would not Sync with Palm 4.0 beta via IrDA in the past under OS X. Coul any Titanium owner offer some advice?

akebono
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 3, 2002, 04:12 PM

Originally posted by ibchen:
<STRONG>Thanks, RBattin. I'm glad to know that it works for you. I think that Pismo is the most reliable Powerbook so far. A friend of mine complains very less about her Pismo. My Titanium would not Sync with Palm 4.0 beta via IrDA in the past under OS X. Coul any Titanium owner offer some advice?</STRONG>

my pismo gets a kernel panic every time I hotsync via irda. only time it has ever happened.

Palm desktop is no longer installed on this one.

Mablung
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 3, 2002, 04:20 PM

I have a tibook 400 with a palm IIIx and palm desktop 4.0 under os x.

With the beta version of palm desktop the irda synchro didn't work ! but with the new version i have no problem, the synchro is perfect (a little bit slow but perfect).

ibchen  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 3, 2002, 05:04 PM

Thanks, Mablung. I might try soon.

[ 04-03-2002: Message edited by: ibchen ]

<dchiang>
Apr 4, 2002, 01:46 AM

There was a tech note from Palm (don't remember where) that said that under OS X 10.1.3 and Palm Desktop 4, you can sync over the IR port, but you can't install any .pdb or .prc files. This seems to be the case for me, and I'm wondering whether they have any plans to fix this...

TiBookFriend
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 4, 2002, 01:52 PM

I'm running OSX on my Tibook and cannot Hotsync via IR. Can someone who has gotten this to work elaborate???

ibchen  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 5, 2002, 09:11 PM

Well, I do not know what to do next. Isn't it said on the Palm web site that
============
Mac OS X v10.1.3 is required to enable infrared (IR) HotSync operations. However, IR synchronization is only supported on Titanium PowerBooks and G3 PowerBooks with Firewire (Pismo).
============
http://205.141.210.149/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE?New,Kb=PalmSupportKB,Company=%7B5A789B6 E-D683-11D4-8A45-00B0D0684B04%7D,ts=Palm_External2001,case=obj(1756 2)#probs

Help!

[ 04-05-2002: Message edited by: ibchen ]

[ 04-05-2002: Message edited by: ibchen ]

a_star
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 10, 2002, 09:54 AM

i use

PB 667 512 Ram DVD/CD-RW palm m500 via IR and it works very good! well the IR hotsynch is a bit slower than the cable synch (base station)...

a*
ps. latest palm desktop ver.: http://www.apple.com/macosx or http://www.palm.com/macintosh]

[ 04-10-2002: Message edited by: a_star ]

a_star
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 10, 2002, 09:57 AM

Originally posted by TiBookFriend:
<STRONG>I'm running OSX on my Tibook and cannot Hotsync via IR. Can someone who has gotten this to work elaborate???</STRONG>
open hot synch manager and turn the IR port on )

a*

iBorg
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 10, 2002, 09:45 PM

Originally posted by a_star:
<STRONG>i use

PB 667 512 Ram DVD/CD-RW palm m500 via IR and it works very good! well the IR hotsynch is a bit slower than the cable synch (base station)...

[ 04-10-2002: Message edited by: a_star ]</STRONG>
Are you saying that you've been able to install onto your Palm via IR also? I have no problem synching my address book and calendar via IR, but, as Palm states in their FAQ's, you cannot install any .prc or .pbd files via IR - which essentially includes any installations of programs!

Anyone find a workaround for this? Otherwise, it requires USB synching to do installations. And for this, I reach a dead-end with my Sony Clie N760C - Macs don't recognize (i.e. don't have USB drivers) for the USB cradle included, and there is, as of yet, no "Missing Sync" solution for OS X! What to do............

iBorg
MacBook Pro 2.33GHz, 15.4" Glossy, 160GB - and loving it!

stmoddell
Apr 10, 2002, 10:05 PM

Palm stipulates that install does not work with the Mac version 4.0.

Unfortunately this means that if your Palm is not updated to the latest version of the software before you start using Palm Desktop for Mac ver 4.0, you will be unable to update.

This can lead to less stability of the sync process because you have to have the latest greatest versions of everything for this to work.

Pretty much if you have cables, you can get IrDA to work dependably eventually. If not, your up a creek. I know this, because I am up that creek, looking for a paddle.
If its already broken, how can I mess it up by trying to fix it?

iBorg
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 12, 2002, 06:08 PM

I'm "up a creek" as well, since my Clie N760C comes with a USB cradle that isn't recognized by my Mac, at least with OS X. Until updating to Palm 4.0, I did all my syncs, including program installations, via IrDA, without a hitch. Now, with Palm 4.0, no installations are possible, only syncs for my NUTD/C calendar and address files.

The only workaround I've found (short of uninstalling Palm 4.0 and going back to 2.6.3) is to fire up Virtual PC 5, which lets me use the Sony USB cradle! VPC under OS X is glacially slow, but at least I can do installations again, with Windoze Palm Desktop!

Now, if the Palm geniuses can figure out how to allow .prc and .pdb files to install via IR on OS X.............

iBorg
MacBook Pro 2.33GHz, 15.4" Glossy, 160GB - and loving it!

<IR_OSX_braindead>
Apr 18, 2002, 12:29 AM

I have a titanium 500, PalmVX, OSX10.1.3 and Palm Desktop 4.0. IR synch does not work! Conenction drops all the time. It is a real joke. I have not been able to find any resolution from either Palm or Apple.
If there is something relaly obvious that I am missing please say, but this is my 2nd Palm and 4th Powerbook and the first combo that did not work.
Thanks in anticipation.

Forum Links
Forum Rules