Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Marks when closing lid

Marks when closing lid
plamparello
Oct 9, 2003, 01:12 AM

Does anyone else get marks around the edge of their powerbook when closing the lid. Usually when i'm transporting my 17" somewhere it seems as if something is rubbing off from the AL around the LCD onto the edge of the base.

Phil
plamparello

iHanhauser
Oct 9, 2003, 01:41 AM

I get black lines of somethingon the right hand side of my 17" PowerBook.They come off very easily.

iHanhauser

coolmacdude
Senior User
Oct 9, 2003, 02:04 AM

2.16 Ghz Core 2 Macbook, 3GB Ram, 120 GB

all2ofme
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 9, 2003, 05:04 AM

I got these for about the first month on my (original model) 17" and then they just stopped appearing. No idea why. They came off easily at the time.

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Oct 9, 2003, 07:19 AM

Yes. Again, only for the first month or so. I thought it was from the l'il rubber nubbins' that keep the screen from closing onto the keyboard. These greasy spots wipe away easily and stop appearing after a short time.
Jalen's dad. Carrie's husband.  partisan. Bleu blanc et rouge.

SplijinX
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 9, 2003, 07:33 AM

If you do alot of travelling and throw your PB into a slip case along with other things in a bag, I recommend getting one of those cloth inserts that go between the keyboard and LCD. I've had my 12" PB for about 8 months now and had noticed faint keyboard lines on the screen that don't clean off.

Granted Apple has designed it so that this wouldn't happen since you really have to try hard and get the right lighting conditions to see these faint lines, it's still not perfect (and well nothing's perfect).

Cloth inserts just gives it a little extra protection and doubles as a great cleaning cloth, definitely worth the couple dollars if you want to keep your LCD pristine.
Are those free-ranged animal crackers?

nobitacu
Mac Elite
Oct 9, 2003, 12:28 PM

This is why I bought a screen protector from RadTech. My screen is still nice and perfect with no lines what so ever.

Ming
A Proud Mac User Since: 03/24/03
Apple Computer: MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3 GB Memory, 120 GB HD

LfGrdMike
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 9, 2003, 04:43 PM

It seems to me, and i could be wrong; You would need to use a lot of force to create marks on the screen. I keep mine in a brenthaven bag, and its fine.
MacBook Pro 15" Rev B | 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | 2GB Mem | 160GB HD | Display 15 Glossy Widescreen Display
iPod Mini Green | 35 gigs of music :-)
HP DV1040us Laptop | 1.6 Pentium M | 1GB RAM | Centrino

xylon
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 9, 2003, 05:11 PM

Originally posted by nobitacu:
This is why I bought a screen protector from RadTech. My screen is still nice and perfect with no lines what so ever.

Ming
I just use that flimsy white thing that came with the PB. Works great, even after my ADD friend tore it up and I had to tape it back together.

As for those black marks (as I don't see anyone really answering what they were caused by), I've heard they are the result of the lid rubbing against the case. I don't know if they can cause permanent dammage, but why find out? Just take get (or make) a little cover.

^Thanks to sealobo
Viva le ScrollWheel!

buddy1065
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 9, 2003, 05:58 PM

I use the Radtech cushions

http://homepage.mac.com/bhardy3/PhotoAlbum34.html

No more marks and the LCD edge is more parallel to the handrest edge, seating the whole lid with more stability and less bendability under pressure.

meatyocre
Oct 15, 2003, 08:21 AM

We have 18 PowerBooks at the graphic design firm I am with. We all swear by the MacSoft Cloth Sceen Protector. As far as I know they are only available at ShaggyMac
These are a step up from radtech. Anyway the older Ti Books really had clearance issues, but the new Al book still benfit from using these.

Forum Links
Forum Rules