Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Panther and Quicktime's PIXLET

Panther and Quicktime's PIXLET
plamparello
Nov 4, 2003, 09:43 PM

I read about mac's new video encoding and I was wondering if anyone knew how to encode a movie using this new format. Is a special program needed?

http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/quicktime/

Down a little on the right it talks about pixlet.

Thanks for anyone's help.

Phil
plamparello

SSharon
Professional Poster
Nov 4, 2003, 09:57 PM

I too would like to know more about this and whether PC users (with or without QT) can open these files.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 4, 2003, 10:00 PM

you can encode and decode the same way as any other codec, in QuickTime Pro for example.

It's not a delivery format. Do you go sending your DV footage to PC people?

RooneyX
Mac Elite
Nov 4, 2003, 10:13 PM

Any Pixlet encoded videos to see?

[APi]TheMan
Mac Elite
Nov 4, 2003, 11:14 PM

I'm not sure if Pixlet is a QuickTime 6.4 thing or a Panther thing. That might be something to investigate when regarding PC support for Pixlet-encoded videos.
"In Nomine Patris, Et Fili, Et Spiritus Sancti"

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Nov 4, 2003, 11:15 PM

Originally posted by [APi]TheMan:
I'm not sure if Pixlet is a QuickTime 6.4 thing or a Panther thing. That might be something to investigate when regarding PC support for Pixlet-encoded videos.
It's a QT 6.4 and Panther thing....

Axo1ot1
Professional Poster
Nov 4, 2003, 11:18 PM

There is a hack to make it work in QT 6.3 and Jag.

I seriously doubt there is a lot of pixlet stuff posted on the internet.

Catfish_Man
Mac Elite
Nov 4, 2003, 11:25 PM

Originally posted by Axo1ot1:
There is a hack to make it work in QT 6.3 and Jag.

I seriously doubt there is a lot of pixlet stuff posted on the internet.
Considering it's not designed for distribution, I'd say you're right.

JB72
Mac Elite
Nov 4, 2003, 11:40 PM

It would really be nice if one could capture to Pixlet from these consumer HiDef camcorders that are coming out.

just FYI, if anyone wants to buy me one of these for Christmas that would be great. Thanks.

Ganesha
Senior User
Nov 5, 2003, 01:17 AM

Originally posted by RooneyX:
Any Pixlet encoded videos to see?
There's a 36 second - 116.5 MB one on Apple site.

http://stream.qtv.apple.com/qtv/appl...sample_ref.mov

You'll need to open it using QT Player since its a stream. I dunno the right markup to get it to auto-launch QT Player.

Note: Low end macs (1 Ghz or less, need not try, as I get frame dropping on my powerbook)

Chris Grande
Senior User
Nov 5, 2003, 01:57 AM

The link to download that file is: http://a1784.g.akamai.net/5/1784/51/...ample_1000.mov

I think there is something wrong with the file since Apple pulled the link off their site...also the text mentions a file of 300+ megs while this one is only 117.

prutz11
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 5, 2003, 02:38 AM

Originally posted by JB72:
It would really be nice if one could capture to Pixlet from these consumer HiDef camcorders that are coming out.

just FYI, if anyone wants to buy me one of these for Christmas that would be great. Thanks.
Is there any software that make these cameras work with a mac? I know that they need some specialized software to capture in their mpeg 2 format. Last I looked it was only available for PCs.... good move JVC... no one uses macs for video.
Polar Express RE-MASTERED >>in 3D<< for IMAX! www.imax.com

a holck
Senior User
Nov 5, 2003, 06:54 AM

Currently there is no mpeg 2 editor for the mac.

Apple has launched a commandline mpeg2 capture tool in their latest firewire sdk, but as all media apps on the mac uses quicktime, mpeg 2 edit support has to be added to the quicktime API first, and this was NOT mentioned at WWDC as something that would occur.

But as Mpeg 2 QHD on DV tapes is now becomming a standard on the same level as DV, I think this is something you can expect from apple in the near future.

Also Pixlet is NOT a good format for material that has been compressed as both DV and Mpeg2 are!!!!!!

DV is only 24 bit colorspace i 4:2:0 colorsampling, Pixlet is ALWAYS 48 bit w/ 4:4:4 colorspace. So the dv material is really to bad quality to utilize PIXLET.

samslaves
Forum Regular
Nov 5, 2003, 12:04 PM

Originally posted by prutz11:
Is there any software that make these cameras work with a mac? I know that they need some specialized software to capture in their mpeg 2 format. Last I looked it was only available for PCs.... good move JVC... no one uses macs for video.
From the picture i read... miniDV. I've a Canon XM2 miniDV. No problem with Macs. Just plug and play (iMovie starts up automatically); if you switch from TAPE to CARD mode then iPhoto just starts up, cool!

Sam

RooneyX
Mac Elite
Nov 5, 2003, 12:29 PM

Originally posted by samslaves:
From the picture i read... miniDV. I've a Canon XM2 miniDV. No problem with Macs. Just plug and play (iMovie starts up automatically); if you switch from TAPE to CARD mode then iPhoto just starts up, cool!

Sam
That's because it's DV codec. Consumer HiDef cams are using mpeg2 to crunch all that data onto miniDV.

Busemann
Mac Elite
Nov 5, 2003, 12:44 PM

Originally posted by Chris Grande:
The link to download that file is: http://a1784.g.akamai.net/5/1784/51/...ample_1000.mov
Its not there now...

larkost
Mac Elite
Nov 5, 2003, 04:11 PM

Pixlet would not be a good encoding standard for most DV cameras... it is too processor and space intensive. It is designed to be a very high quality preview medium for movies... as in showing sample clips from Nemo 2 to Steve Jobs for his approval. Pixar uses it in their workflow to help them find the frames they want to work on (not to do the actual work).

It is a large-size lossy compression sceme with no interframe compression. Ideal for scrubbing back and forth frame by frame... but not nearly ideal for simple movie viewing.

DV is a much bette format for cameras...

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Nov 11, 2003, 05:30 PM

I still have not seen how Pixlet works. Anyone have any info on this? How do I even access it? What can it do?

Forum Links
Forum Rules