Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > [PREVIEW] 2004: An Icon Odyssey

[PREVIEW] 2004: An Icon Odyssey (Page 2)
Thread Tools
Zyote  (op)
Forum Regular
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Manchester, UK
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 4, 2004, 07:32 PM
 
Originally posted by Komisar:
Actually i think the perspective is ok, i mean you could revise it if you want to... but it looks fine from here!
:-)

nice to hear!

Actually, the icons at this perspective look a lot better by other icons at the same perspective. Ie, i'm working on an icon now in the same perspective, and i just placed it in pixadex next to this TMA-1 map icon, and they look really good together.

in this set, i'm trying to stick with mostly "front-on" views for large items such as vehicles and chairs and things. but desktop like items are all at this desktop perspective.

hopefully they'll all end up looking consistant.
     
Komisar
Mac Elite
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Semi-Posting Retirement
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 4, 2004, 07:46 PM
 
What do you think about the whole app replacement movie theme idea?
     
Zyote  (op)
Forum Regular
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Manchester, UK
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 4, 2004, 07:49 PM
 
Originally posted by Komisar:
What do you think about the whole app replacement movie theme idea?

Apps? as in like safari, mail? or like programs like photoshop and stuff?

I tried to private message you but i get an error saying your mail box is full.

mischa
[email protected]
     
crooner
Senior User
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Sin City™, USA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 9, 2004, 04:36 PM
 
Originally posted by Komisar:
Actually i think the perspective is ok, i mean you could revise it if you want to... but it looks fine from here!
Me, too. I think the bottom looking up view is fine. Better than fine. It looks awesome. Plus it allows you to fill out more of the 128x128 area due to the perspective.

More importantly, however, is the fact that you are kickin' ass, man! You know how much i love the Fight Club icons and to think that this is your SECOND icon set, well... you're doing a fantastic job.

Oh... demograph68, you are a PhotoShop monster.


To dislike Sinatra is a sign of highly questionable taste. To dislike the Beatles is a serious character flaw.
     
Zyote  (op)
Forum Regular
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Manchester, UK
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 9, 2004, 05:56 PM
 
Originally posted by crooner:
[B]Me, too. I think the bottom looking up view is fine. Better than fine. It looks awesome. Plus it allows you to fill out more of the 128x128 area due to the perspective.

More importantly, however, is the fact that you are kickin' ass, man! You know how much i love the Fight Club icons and to think that this is your SECOND icon set, well... you're doing a fantastic job.



thanks mate.. it's comments like this that keep me enthusiastic and motivated on a set. so thanks!! seriously!!!
     
Truepop
Mac Elite
Join Date: Mar 2003
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 10, 2004, 04:59 PM
 
Originally posted by Zyote:
Beautiful. Keep it up.
     
Zyote  (op)
Forum Regular
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Manchester, UK
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 10, 2004, 10:03 PM
 


for all you people out there that wanna see a 100% size of this icon!

heres a present for you'all.

(not so great now is it?!?!! hahahaa)


;-p
     
TheZee
Dedicated MacNNer
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: SoCal Baby
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 10, 2004, 11:23 PM
 
Dude,
You are talented, I must say. I must also ask this question: Why would you waste your talent on a theme that has been done to death and then its been done to the undead? Please, the movie wasn't even that great. Please, utilize your talents on the here and now. If you're digging the Space and beyond theme then what about Dune? Lost In Space? Alien? Predator? HellBoy? Star Wars? There has yet to be created a quality Star Wars set. Let "2001" go. Move on to our time. Please.
Peace,
TheZee
MacBook Aluminum Unibody, 2GHz Intel Core duo, 2GB RAM, 160GB HD, OS X 10.5.7
     
DigiHal
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Ft. Lauderdale, Fl.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 11, 2004, 12:32 AM
 
Absolutly beautiful work. Amazing.
     
JoE950
Forum Regular
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Ohio
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 11, 2004, 01:24 AM
 
keep up the great work. i want a monolith!!!!
     
Zyote  (op)
Forum Regular
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Manchester, UK
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 11, 2004, 09:56 AM
 
Originally posted by TheZee:
Dude,
You are talented, I must say. I must also ask this question: Why would you waste your talent on a theme that has been done to death and then its been done to the undead? Please, the movie wasn't even that great. Please, utilize your talents on the here and now. If you're digging the Space and beyond theme then what about Dune? Lost In Space? Alien? Predator? HellBoy? Star Wars? There has yet to be created a quality Star Wars set. Let "2001" go. Move on to our time. Please.
Peace,
why did i choose 2001?

cause i really like it.


and besides i really haven't seen many other sets based on the movie. sure, people have probably done the "HAL" eye. but thats are far as they go.

I will be making movie sets after this one. maybe even on some of the movies you mention! all in good time.
     
Simon X
Grizzled Veteran
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Over there
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 11, 2004, 01:52 PM
 
Originally posted by TheZee:
Dude,
You are talented, I must say. I must also ask this question: Why would you waste your talent on a theme that has been done to death and then its been done to the undead? Please, the movie wasn't even that great. Please, utilize your talents on the here and now. If you're digging the Space and beyond theme then what about Dune? Lost In Space? Alien? Predator? HellBoy? Star Wars? There has yet to be created a quality Star Wars set. Let "2001" go. Move on to our time. Please.
Peace,

Hahahahahah. That's really funny. "Utilising his talents talents on the here and now" and "Move on to our time." You call Star Wars the here and now? Oh, you mean the cinematic abomination every few years from Lucas. Dune isn't exactly the here and now either.

2001 is one of the pivotal Sci-Fi movies ever made. Zyote obviously is a fan of the film so if he's happy doing this I wouldn't call it a waste of his talents. (I love the film too)

But please, Lost in Space? You've got to be [email protected]<&ing kidding?
     
TheZee
Dedicated MacNNer
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: SoCal Baby
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 13, 2004, 02:59 AM
 
I don't agree.
2001 is a relic. First of all, the movie drags on forever. The Hal is rediculous and not scary at all. The topic has been done. Over and over and over and over and over and over . . . . . . . . Star Wars is here and now. Is is the quentisential space sci-fi trilogy of the 20th century. No I am not referring to the crap that Lucas has subjected us to lately. I am referring to thee trilogy. The first, or rather last as he puts it of the films. I am not knocking his talents at all. I am questioning his choice of themes. Ok, he digs 2001. Whatever. But look around. It has been done to death. let it rest. it's not the be all and end all of Sci-Fi space epics. Lost in Space was F 'n cool. "Danger Will Robinson ! Danger !" Everybody knows that. I agree it was a tad campy. The icons that could be generated from the film could be cool though. The robot, the Robinson family space ship, cool aliens. What about the Aliens trilogy ? What about Predator ? What about the TV show Battle Star Galactica ? or Space 1999 ? All I'm saying is that there are a plethora of bitchen Sci-fi topics that should be explored instead of following in the footsteps of so many others and regurgetating a relic like the piece of sh** that is 2001.

Again, not knocking the talent. The talent is definitely there.

Peace,
TheZee
MacBook Aluminum Unibody, 2GHz Intel Core duo, 2GB RAM, 160GB HD, OS X 10.5.7
     
Zyote  (op)
Forum Regular
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Manchester, UK
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 13, 2004, 04:05 AM
 
Originally posted by TheZee:
I don't agree.
2001 is a relic. First of all, the movie drags on forever. The Hal is rediculous and not scary at all. The topic has been done. Over and over and over and over and over and over . . . . . . . . Star Wars is here and now. Is is the quentisential space sci-fi trilogy of the 20th century. No I am not referring to the crap that Lucas has subjected us to lately. I am referring to thee trilogy. The first, or rather last as he puts it of the films. I am not knocking his talents at all. I am questioning his choice of themes. Ok, he digs 2001. Whatever. But look around. It has been done to death. let it rest. it's not the be all and end all of Sci-Fi space epics. Lost in Space was F 'n cool. "Danger Will Robinson ! Danger !" Everybody knows that. I agree it was a tad campy. The icons that could be generated from the film could be cool though. The robot, the Robinson family space ship, cool aliens. What about the Aliens trilogy ? What about Predator ? What about the TV show Battle Star Galactica ? or Space 1999 ? All I'm saying is that there are a plethora of bitchen Sci-fi topics that should be explored instead of following in the footsteps of so many others and regurgetating a relic like the piece of sh** that is 2001.

Again, not knocking the talent. The talent is definitely there.

Peace,

you're actually verging on trolling here by saying that Lost in space was better than 2001. seriously. i know we all have our own opinions about what type of movies we enjoy watching. but dude! 2001 has:

1)better production values
2)a message about life and the various stages of mans development.
3)a message about articficial intelligence, and how deadly it can be.
4)2001 was actually created in 1969, a month before the moon landing. and even today it's a very accurate depiction of space travel and a very believable story aswell.
5)dude.. "matt le blanc" ?!! enough said.
6) where are all these multitude of 2001 icons? i've seen none!! show me a huge example of space odyssey icons being done to death.

I know you weren't critiquing my talents or style or anything.. so i don't take any offense or anything.. but i just have a hard time understanding your hatred of such an important and spectacular film.

if you look at internet movie database's "top 250 movies of all time" ratings. you will find 2001: a space odyssey at number 74 on the charts. Lost in space isn't even in the top 250.

why? because 2001 is a very good film loved and respected by a lot of movie fans, sci fi fans, and film critics.

you are of course entitled to your opinion about what type of movies you enjoy. i hope sometime in the future you'll rewatch 2001 and perhaps it'll grow on you. if only a little.

cheers.
     
crooner
Senior User
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Sin City™, USA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 13, 2004, 04:11 AM
 
Originally posted by TheZee:
I don't agree.
2001 is a relic. First of all, the movie drags on forever. The Hal is rediculous and not scary at all. The topic has been done. Over and over and over and over and over and over . . . . . . . . Star Wars is here and now. Is is the quentisential space sci-fi trilogy of the 20th century. No I am not referring to the crap that Lucas has subjected us to lately. I am referring to thee trilogy. The first, or rather last as he puts it of the films. I am not knocking his talents at all. I am questioning his choice of themes. Ok, he digs 2001. Whatever. But look around. It has been done to death. let it rest. it's not the be all and end all of Sci-Fi space epics. Lost in Space was F 'n cool. "Danger Will Robinson ! Danger !" Everybody knows that. I agree it was a tad campy. The icons that could be generated from the film could be cool though. The robot, the Robinson family space ship, cool aliens. What about the Aliens trilogy ? What about Predator ? What about the TV show Battle Star Galactica ? or Space 1999 ? All I'm saying is that there are a plethora of bitchen Sci-fi topics that should be explored instead of following in the footsteps of so many others and regurgetating a relic like the piece of sh** that is 2001.

Again, not knocking the talent. The talent is definitely there.

Peace,
I understand what points you are making and I do, to an extent, agree with some of them. While I wouldn’t call 2001 the most thrilling movie I ever saw, there is no way around acknowledging it as an absolute masterpiece considering it was made in the late sixties (if I'm off a bit on the date, please be gentle ). And yes, I DO think it still stands up today. There might not have been a Star Wars at all were it not for 2001.
Understand that I am not picking a fight nor am I trying to dispel what you have to say. There are many other movies, some of which you mentioned, that I'd rather watch. But this is ALL beside the point. What's real point? It's that Zyote is a budding icon artist of the highest caliber. And don’t look now, but this is only his 2nd set. This early in his icon making days I would imagine that it's essential that he work on projects particularly close to his heart. When I started to learn to play musical instruments and sing many years ago I never got anywhere because the people teaching me made me play stuff that didn't send me at all. The day I decided to screw what the teachers had to offer and instead sat down and started learning the Beatles catalogue was the day when I began absorbing music and learning it as a language as familiar as English. This goes with most things, but ESPECIALLY creative endeavours. As as far as I'm concerned, if Zyote (or any other pixel pusher) wanted to release a set of Oprah freakin' Winfrey icons, I'd be behind him as it would only mean that when he DOES get around to flix like the Star Wars trilogy, Blade Runner, Alien, The Godfather, Goodfellas, etc., etc. (to name just a few) his work will be that much more polished.
Okay... I went a little too far with the Oprah thing. If anyone started seriously working on an Oprah set I'd feel obliged to set up a mother of a GUI intervention.

Bottom line, Zyote has thousands of icons, themes, whatever, ahead of him, so why not just sit back and enjoy them as they come. Don't worry, they will.

To dislike Sinatra is a sign of highly questionable taste. To dislike the Beatles is a serious character flaw.
     
Zyote  (op)
Forum Regular
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Manchester, UK
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 13, 2004, 05:11 AM
 
Originally posted by crooner:
I understand what points you are making and I do, to an extent, agree with some of them. While I wouldn’t call 2001 the most thrilling movie I ever saw, there is no way around acknowledging it as an absolute masterpiece considering it was made in the late sixties (if I'm off a bit on the date, please be gentle ). And yes, I DO think it still stands up today. There might not have been a Star Wars at all were it not for 2001.
Understand that I am not picking a fight nor am I trying to dispel what you have to say. There are many other movies, some of which you mentioned, that I'd rather watch. But this is ALL beside the point. What's real point? It's that Zyote is a budding icon artist of the highest caliber. And don’t look now, but this is only his 2nd set. This early in his icon making days I would imagine that it's essential that he work on projects particularly close to his heart. When I started to learn to play musical instruments and sing many years ago I never got anywhere because the people teaching me made me play stuff that didn't send me at all. The day I decided to screw what the teachers had to offer and instead sat down and started learning the Beatles catalogue was the day when I began absorbing music and learning it as a language as familiar as English. This goes with most things, but ESPECIALLY creative endeavours. As as far as I'm concerned, if Zyote (or any other pixel pusher) wanted to release a set of Oprah freakin' Winfrey icons, I'd be behind him as it would only mean that when he DOES get around to flix like the Star Wars trilogy, Blade Runner, Alien, The Godfather, Goodfellas, etc., etc. (to name just a few) his work will be that much more polished.
Okay... I went a little too far with the Oprah thing. If anyone started seriously working on an Oprah set I'd feel obliged to set up a mother of a GUI intervention.

Bottom line, Zyote has thousands of icons, themes, whatever, ahead of him, so why not just sit back and enjoy them as they come. Don't worry, they will.
actually.. well said..

*gets ideas for making oprah icon set*
     
monkeybrain
Mac Elite
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Dark Side of the Moon
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 13, 2004, 06:35 AM
 
Originally posted by TheZee:
I don't agree.
2001 is a relic. First of all, the movie drags on forever. The Hal is rediculous and not scary at all. The topic has been done. Over and over and over and over and over and over . . . . . . . . Star Wars is here and now. Is is the quentisential space sci-fi trilogy of the 20th century. No I am not referring to the crap that Lucas has subjected us to lately. I am referring to thee trilogy. The first, or rather last as he puts it of the films. I am not knocking his talents at all. I am questioning his choice of themes. Ok, he digs 2001. Whatever. But look around. It has been done to death. let it rest. it's not the be all and end all of Sci-Fi space epics. Lost in Space was F 'n cool. "Danger Will Robinson ! Danger !" Everybody knows that. I agree it was a tad campy. The icons that could be generated from the film could be cool though. The robot, the Robinson family space ship, cool aliens. What about the Aliens trilogy ? What about Predator ? What about the TV show Battle Star Galactica ? or Space 1999 ? All I'm saying is that there are a plethora of bitchen Sci-fi topics that should be explored instead of following in the footsteps of so many others and regurgetating a relic like the piece of sh** that is 2001.

Again, not knocking the talent. The talent is definitely there.

Peace,
There already are several Star Wars icon sets, prequel and proper ones. There is even Space 1999 icons, featuring the Eagles etc (unfortunately it is impossible to represent the kickass themetune in icon format). There is not a lot of scope with Predator, you've got his mask, weapons, and what Arnie?

Where are all these 2001 icons you seem to have found? I'll be damned if there is anything apart from HAL icons.
     
monkeybrain
Mac Elite
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Dark Side of the Moon
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 13, 2004, 06:40 AM
 
OT

Hey Zyote I was wondering if you've seen the original Solaris? Not the Clooney remake (which may be good sci-fi by todays standards) but the Russian original. If not I highly recommend it - it's very long, very clever, made me think about it for weeks afterwards, and some bits of it are even funny. It's easily one of the best sci-fi films ever, if not the best (although I must say Enenmy Mine is pretty damn good as well).
     
Zyote  (op)
Forum Regular
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Manchester, UK
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 13, 2004, 06:48 AM
 
Originally posted by monkeybrain:
OT

Hey Zyote I was wondering if you've seen the original Solaris? Not the Clooney remake (which may be good sci-fi by todays standards) but the Russian original. If not I highly recommend it - it's very long, very clever, made me think about it for weeks afterwards, and some bits of it are even funny. It's easily one of the best sci-fi films ever, if not the best (although I must say Enenmy Mine is pretty damn good as well).
I actually loved the george clooney remake of that film such a nice beautiful film. i bought the dvd and the cd soundtrack. the music from the film is one of the most beutiful soundtracks ever. so haunting and pretty. i listen to it almost religiously every night while i go off to sleep.

i haven't seen the original yet. but i really should!
     
cube3
Mac Enthusiast
Join Date: Jan 2004
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 13, 2004, 09:06 AM
 
Bring on 2001, then we can argue about what's next

<edit> monkeybrain, those space1999 is there an OS X set?
     
TheZee
Dedicated MacNNer
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: SoCal Baby
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 13, 2004, 10:19 AM
 
Dudes,
You are dwelling way too much on the Lost In Space thing. I briefly mentioned it and when I did, I mentionned the TV show not the movie. The whole point is to venture into uncharted territory instead of the same old, same old regurgitated topics. Especially the 2001, boring, phenom. Man, Dunne blows away 2001 by far. To say that 2001 spawned the better and more entertaining space Sci-Fi movies that were produced after that sleeper isway overstretching the importance of the flick. Come on, the fetus at the end ? Please. Can you say over dramatic ? I'm talking about entertaining flicks as well as deeeeeeeeeeep sleeeeeepers. And no, there are no Space 1999 (TV Show) Icons Sets in existence. That's what I'm talking about. Be original, be brave, be unique. I agree, though, to be patient and be grateful for a noew budding talent. A Kotelyden if you will. May the force guide you to produce icons that not everyone and their grandmother has taken a whack at. Oh yeah, and as far as 2001 goes, of course it's in the top whatever list of outerspace movies when polled. That's because there are not that many notable outerspace wovies that people can bring to mind when asked. Deosn't mean it's good. Kinda like Monica Lewinsky. Most people know her name and what she is notable for. Doesn't mean that she is sexy or good at what she does.
Peace,
TheZee
MacBook Aluminum Unibody, 2GHz Intel Core duo, 2GB RAM, 160GB HD, OS X 10.5.7
     
Zyote  (op)
Forum Regular
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Manchester, UK
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 13, 2004, 10:25 AM
 
Originally posted by TheZee:
Dudes,
You are dwelling way too much on the Lost In Space thing. I briefly mentioned it and when I did, I mentionned the TV show not the movie. The whole point is to venture into uncharted territory instead of the same old, same old regurgitated topics. Especially the 2001, boring, phenom. Man, Dunne blows away 2001 by far. To say that 2001 spawned the better and more entertaining space Sci-Fi movies that were produced after that sleeper isway overstretching the importance of the flick. Come on, the fetus at the end ? Please. Can you say over dramatic ? I'm talking about entertaining flicks as well as deeeeeeeeeeep sleeeeeepers. And no, there are no Space 1999 (TV Show) Icons Sets in existence. That's what I'm talking about. Be original, be brave, be unique. I agree, though, to be patient and be grateful for a noew budding talent. A Kotelyden if you will. May the force guide you to produce icons that not everyone and their grandmother has taken a whack at. Oh yeah, and as far as 2001 goes, of course it's in the top whatever list of outerspace movies when polled. That's because there are not that many notable outerspace wovies that people can bring to mind when asked. Deosn't mean it's good. Kinda like Monica Lewinsky. Most people know her name and what she is notable for. Doesn't mean that she is sexy or good at what she does.
Peace,

hehe, guess we'll have to agree to disagree about the quality/importance of the movie. also, i still haven't seen any other 2001 icons around. so please feel free if you've 10 mins to find some for us.

but yeah. i'll do other movies too, all in good time. ;-)

your argument about monica lewinsky is sound though i must admit. it's like saying "just because McDonalds™ is popular, doesn't make it good food". but i do believe 2001 IS in fact very good. but as i mentoned. i guess we'll just have to disagree on this one.

all the best.

Mischa
     
cube3
Mac Enthusiast
Join Date: Jan 2004
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 13, 2004, 10:27 AM
 
I think Dune is a masterpiece, but school is still out on whether others do, I know loads of people who hate the Lynch version. The fact that I love it, doesn't mean zyote should choose my choice above his own

Unless we are prepared to pay, we will have to settle with the designer choice
     
Dave Brasgalla
Forum Regular
Join Date: Jul 2003
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 13, 2004, 11:10 AM
 
10 Kubrick
20 is
30 The
40 Man
50 goto 10


2001 is a milestone in *cinema*, not just science fiction.

One of my favorite scenes: watching William Sylvester as Floyd in the scene with the russians on the space station. He goes from blandly cordial to wary and uncomfortable in such a subtle way... the body language, the timing - I love that scene!

Dullea and Lockwood do great jobs capturing the quintessential self-contained and nearly unflappable Apollo-era astronaut pysche.

Tarkovsky's "Solyaris" is also a wonderful film (I am a Soderbergh fan as well and think he did a good job). The first five minutes alone is simply sublime... definitely not for the Will Smith/cartoon generation.

There is a difference in my mind between "movies" and "film".

On the subject of icons - Ged and I did stacks of science fiction movie icons for pre-OS X systems, including 2001, 1999, the Black Hole, Bladerunner, and many others. I have created Space 1999 icons for OS X, but I have never publicly released them. I've learned that it pays to stay away from commercial properties.

Some guy in Great Britain did some 3D-generated 1999 OS X spaceship icons (along with a lot of other shows) a year or two back. They may still be out there somewhere.

Zyote, if you are taking requests for objects for the 2001 set, I'd like to see the Arne Jacobsen "AJ" flatware they used in the Discovery's kitchenette. Kate gave me a service-for-4 set for my birthday - now I feel like an astronaut when I eat!

The set's looking great - I am looking forward to it!

(edited for a typo)
( Last edited by Dave Brasgalla; Sep 13, 2004 at 11:19 AM. )
     
monkeybrain
Mac Elite
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Dark Side of the Moon
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 13, 2004, 11:19 AM
 
Ok I found the Eagle icon. It's not a full Space 1999 set, but comes with a load of other icons as well (I don't think you could get more than 2 or 3 icons out of Space 1999 anyway). Also featured is CID from UFO, now that was a cool show.

They're by a guy called Alisdair Jones, downloads here.

You want Sci-fi vol. 1 and 2, also got some 2001 icons in there.
     
Dave Brasgalla
Forum Regular
Join Date: Jul 2003
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 13, 2004, 11:31 AM
 
Originally posted by monkeybrain:
I don't think you could get more than 2 or 3 icons out of Space 1999 anyway).
I must respectfully disagree.
     
Dave Brasgalla
Forum Regular
Join Date: Jul 2003
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 13, 2004, 11:33 AM
 
Speaking of Space:1999, you do realise that today is September 13th, right?
     
Dave Brasgalla
Forum Regular
Join Date: Jul 2003
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 13, 2004, 11:43 AM
 
Originally posted by monkeybrain:
Also featured is CID from UFO, now that was a cool show.
Actually, Space:1999 was originally intended by the Andersons to be the follow-up series to UFO, with the action moved to the "moon city". As things developed, it gained an identity of it's own, but 1999 is certainly the direct descendant of UFO.

Interesting trivia: look for Ed Bishop (UFO's Cmdr. Straker) in 2001 as one of the Aries shuttle pilots.
     
monkeybrain
Mac Elite
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Dark Side of the Moon
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 13, 2004, 12:16 PM
 
Heh, this is rapidly going off topic, but what the hell.

Yeah Space 1999 was a sort of sequel, but I've felt is was inferior to UFO. UFO was darker, more stylish, whereas Space 1999 seems to have been more Star Trek-esque. Do you remember the episode of UFO where we learn about Straker's son's death and it all gets very strange. Hell, just that haunting end music to UFO was scary (ah just found it on mp3, oh god it's scary - was this meant for kids?!)

Hey come on Dave, give us these space icons - just a little release on here can't hurt copyright, can it ay heh,
     
Dave Brasgalla
Forum Regular
Join Date: Jul 2003
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 13, 2004, 02:27 PM
 
Originally posted by monkeybrain:
Hey come on Dave, give us these space icons - just a little release on here can't hurt copyright, can it ay heh,
Nah, this is Zyote's party!
     
Simon X
Grizzled Veteran
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Over there
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 13, 2004, 02:32 PM
 
Originally posted by Dave Brasgalla:

10 Kubrick
20 is
30 The
40 Man
50 goto 10

2001 is a milestone in *cinema*, not just science fiction.

Zyote, if you are taking requests for objects for the 2001 set, I'd like to see the Arne Jacobsen "AJ" flatware they used in the Discovery's kitchenette. Kate gave me a service-for-4 set for my birthday - now I feel like an astronaut when I eat!

The set's looking great - I am looking forward to it!

Hehe. I should get my Sinclair Spectrum down from the attic, along with two toy Space 1999 Eagles, and try out the Kubrick is The Man code. Because yes, he certainly is.

2001 is a film that needs to be seen on the big screen. Sure many films play better on the silver screen but it is surprising how different 2001 feels. It seems a much shorter film. Anyone under the age of 45 has probably not seen it in the cinema. I've only seen it three times in the cinema, twice in as many weeks back in 2001 when it was on general re-release. The first time was the most poignant however. The BFI in London were having a Kubrick retrospective during the release of Eyes Wide Shut and of course after his death. I saw a bunch of his films during this time, many for the first time in the cinema. For the 2001 showing Kubrick's daughter and grandson were there and Arthur C Clark had flown in specially for the showing. He was wheelchair bound but felt it was worth the trip to see the new print of the film and say a few words.

The lights dimmed, the pre-film music started and then the film began. Man what a trip, to coin the phrase used at its release in '68.

I'm gutted I couldn't make the Stanley Kubrick exhibition in Germany earlier this year. I hope they decide tour the UK. [edit: it's touring Germany it seems. Right, where's my passport] http://www.stanleykubrick.de/

There's also a Taschen book I'm looking forward to add to my Kubrick collection that you guys might be interested in: http://www.taschen.com/pages/en/exce.../show/1/53.htm

Now, how about an icon set based on Barry Lyndon?
     
Dave Brasgalla
Forum Regular
Join Date: Jul 2003
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 13, 2004, 04:21 PM
 
Originally posted by Simon X:
2001 is a film that needs to be seen on the big screen. Sure many films play better on the silver screen but it is surprising how different 2001 feels. It seems a much shorter film. Anyone under the age of 45 has probably not seen it in the cinema. I've only seen it three times in the cinema, twice in as many weeks back in 2001 when it was on general re-release.

Now, how about an icon set based on Barry Lyndon?
Yes, my mother took me and my two brothers to see it in the theatre when we were just kids. I remember seeing "Day Of The Dolphin" around the same time, so it must have been around '74-75. I just now remembered that they showed a preview for "La Plančte Sauvage" before 2001, so '74 sounds about right.

I just bought the re-mastered DVD and was watching it the other day, in fact. Doug Trumbull, John Hoesli, and Colin Arthur certainly outdid themselves - and what other film can one name that has such ambitious scope or timescale?

Once it is seen, who can ever forget HAL's strangely poignant pleading for his "life" as Bowman doggedly, relentlessly - almost regretfully - disassembles his consciousness, one chip at a time, as the machine tells him "I can feel it" ?


And yes - Barry Lyndon! What a bastid!
     
Banghazi
Mac Enthusiast
Join Date: Jun 2004
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 13, 2004, 04:26 PM
 
I'd have to agree Kubrik is one of the greatest of all time; anyone ever seen his movie "The Killing"?


TheZee - If you didn't like the movie, why derail an otherwise peaceful thread because you're panicking about what movies people like? If you like Lost in Space so much, go make an icon set.

You can't control what movies people take a liking to; what's the point in trying to do so? Do you really think Zyote might turn around and say to himself, "...hmm maybe this guy is right, 2001 really isn't a very good movie.. !-he did suggest Lost in Space... should I drop what I'm doing and start an icon set based on that?..."
     
eyevaan
Grizzled Veteran
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 13, 2004, 04:38 PM
 
Originally posted by monkeybrain:
You want Sci-fi vol. 1 and 2, also got some 2001 icons in there.
THX so much.
I had lost track of my copies of those.



not to loose track of the real thread

<Woah!>

That "Pod" is outrageous!
Zoyte you have talent. Way to go. Look forward to more previews.
     
mrfrost
Mac Elite
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Cybertron
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 13, 2004, 05:46 PM
 
Originally posted by TheZee:
Dude,
Please, the movie wasn't even that great.
Say what??

EDIT : After reading the entire thread I'd have to say....Say what???

EDIT 2: I fully support the idea of a complete 2001 iconset.
( Last edited by mrfrost; Sep 13, 2004 at 05:51 PM. )
     
Komisar
Mac Elite
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Semi-Posting Retirement
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 13, 2004, 06:55 PM
 
Originally posted by mrfrost:
Say what??

EDIT : After reading the entire thread I'd have to say....Say what???

EDIT 2: I fully support the idea of a complete 2001 iconset.
What do you mean by full set?
     
Zyote  (op)
Forum Regular
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Manchester, UK
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 13, 2004, 07:10 PM
 
OMG! hi everyone! looks like a lot of discussion on here today!

;-)

hehe.

you guys are what keep me going. this project has proved to be quite a tricky set for me. my original fight club set was quite different, it was a bit dirty, and gritty and was okay for the icons to look as such too. but 2001 has such a clean and sterile visual feeling. and it's taking a long time to clean up my icons to a level i feel comfortable with.

I had originally hoped to have released the set around this time. but to tell the truth i think i've only finished about 9 icons. i've started about 4 others aswell. but as i say some are proving to be quite challenging.

I'll try to keep the momentum up by posting a new icon on here every we while. as all your kind words really do help me stay focused on this project.

So once again thanks everyone!
     
Zyote  (op)
Forum Regular
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Manchester, UK
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 13, 2004, 07:13 PM
 
Originally posted by Dave Brasgalla:
Zyote, if you are taking requests for objects for the 2001 set, I'd like to see the Arne Jacobsen "AJ" flatware they used in the Discovery's kitchenette. Kate gave me a service-for-4 set for my birthday - now I feel like an astronaut when I eat!

The set's looking great - I am looking forward to it!

I think you might be in for a nice surprise then :-) well in a small way perhaps.
     
Dave-o™
Senior User
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Somewhere in your mind.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 13, 2004, 08:20 PM
 
Zyote, How does it feel to be sharing your works with one of the GREAT icon designers of our time? I would be so stoked.. i would have fallen off my chair long ago..
     
smeger
Mac Elite
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Tempe, AZ
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 13, 2004, 08:32 PM
 
Originally posted by Dave Brasgalla:
On the subject of icons - Ged and I did stacks of science fiction movie icons for pre-OS X systems, including 2001, 1999, the Black Hole, Bladerunner, and many others.
Hmm, The Black Hole might be a cool subject for a future icon set. Lots of visually unique stuff going on in that one. And if I thought about it too much, I might still get nightmares about Maximillian.
Geekspiff - generating spiffdiddlee software since before you began paying attention.
     
Zyote  (op)
Forum Regular
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Manchester, UK
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 14, 2004, 02:32 AM
 
Originally posted by Dave-o™:
Zyote, How does it feel to be sharing your works with one of the GREAT icon designers of our time? I would be so stoked.. i would have fallen off my chair long ago..
hehe.

you're not *that* good!



haha
     
Dave-o™
Senior User
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Somewhere in your mind.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 14, 2004, 09:06 AM
 
Sorry for the confusion of my post.. I was referring to Dave Brasgalla....
     
cube3
Mac Enthusiast
Join Date: Jan 2004
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 14, 2004, 09:19 AM
 
Originally posted by smeger:
Hmm, The Black Hole might be a cool subject for a future icon set. Lots of visually unique stuff going on in that one. And if I thought about it too much, I might still get nightmares about Maximillian.
oo oo oooooo ooo runs off after BOB!!1!
     
Zyote  (op)
Forum Regular
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Manchester, UK
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 14, 2004, 09:50 AM
 
Originally posted by Dave-o™:
Sorry for the confusion of my post.. I was referring to Dave Brasgalla....
hehe.. i know
     
monkeybrain
Mac Elite
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Dark Side of the Moon
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 14, 2004, 10:16 AM
 
Maximillian really was terrifying, and the way the crew were turned into those automatons - pretty remarkable for a Disney film. Brilliant John Barry soundtrack to the Black Hole as well.
     
Zyote  (op)
Forum Regular
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Manchester, UK
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 14, 2004, 06:46 PM
 
Okay, lets get this momentum going here:

The Djinn single seater chair.

plus i included some old versions as well just for fun! :-)

     
Komisar
Mac Elite
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Semi-Posting Retirement
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 14, 2004, 07:12 PM
 
I was going to tell you to do the whole chair thing from the orbiting station but i thought it would be retarded to ask you that.... they are sweet!
     
Zyote  (op)
Forum Regular
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Manchester, UK
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 14, 2004, 07:18 PM
 
Originally posted by Komisar:
I was going to tell you to do the whole chair thing from the orbiting station but i thought it would be retarded to ask you that.... they are sweet!
hehe. i hope you mean "the one on the right is sweet"

the other ones are all old nasty ugly versions. the far right is the "final icon"

     
Dave-o™
Senior User
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Somewhere in your mind.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 14, 2004, 08:53 PM
 
The last one is tight.. Perspective is just about right, the shading and highlights are right one.. Looking great bro... keep it up.. good to see you motivated...
     
zerografix
Junior Member
Join Date: Aug 2003
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 16, 2004, 11:45 AM
 
The Black Hole - OMG that was the greatest movie! I would love to see an Icon set for that.

V.I.N.CENT rules!!
( Last edited by zerografix; Sep 16, 2004 at 11:58 AM. )
     
 
Thread Tools
 
Forum Links
Forum Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Top
Privacy Policy
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:13 AM.
All contents of these forums © 1995-2017 MacNN. All rights reserved.
Branding + Design: www.gesamtbild.com
vBulletin v.3.8.8 © 2000-2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.,