Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Mac Mini and the mute button...

Mac Mini and the mute button...
AppleOptionFour
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 1, 2005, 11:25 AM

I noticed on my mini that when I press the mute button there is a delay before it actually shows the bezel and mutes/un-mutes.

The one at the apple store did it too.

Anyone else notice this and what could be the reason?

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Apr 1, 2005, 12:27 PM

Yeah, mine seems to do that too. The strange thing is that I've owned two Macs in the past that were comparable in speed to the mini (a 1.33 GHz PowerMac G4 and a 1.0 GHz eMac, both with sufficient helpings of RAM) and neither of them had any delay when changing volume.

What I did notice is that if I use the Logitech control panel to assign my MX1000's wheel to adjust volume (rather than scroll), there doesn't seem to be a delay when adjusting volume (though I can't be totally certain). So maybe there's a problem with Apple's default keyboard driver or with the keyboard itself.

Sorry I can't be of more help. I'm just as confused as you.

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

Goatbert
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 1, 2005, 01:31 PM

On my mini (1.42GHz, 1GB RAM) the volume up and down are instant, but there is a 1 sec or so delay on the mute coming up. Is this the same thing you are seeing? Not that it bothers me it all, I never mute it anyway.

-Jeff
"Beaker" - P4 3.2GHz, 1GB PC3200 RAM, 80GB Raptor C:, 600GB RAID5 D:, DW1820A 16x DVD Burner, Lite On 16x Reader, GeForce 6800 AGP 128MB, SB Audigy 2 ZS.
"Snuffy" - 1.42GHz Mac Mini, 1GB RAM, 80GB HDD, SuperDrive, BT, Airport Extreme, L90D+ Flat Panel w/ DVI.
"Pepe" - 12" 1.5GHz PowerBook G4, 1.25GB RAM, 80GB HDD, 8x SuperDrive.

cliffom
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 3, 2005, 07:42 PM

Same with my mini. It doesn't bother me a lot, but there are times when I pick up the phone and I would rather it mute right away. I am sure it is something that can be patched.

I am using an Apple Bluetooth keyboard, though I am sure it is unrelated since my volume up/down buttons are instantaneous.

Originally posted by AppleOptionFour:
I noticed on my mini that when I press the mute button there is a delay before it actually shows the bezel and mutes/un-mutes.

AppleOptionFour  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 15, 2005, 02:45 PM

I wonder if this will be fixed in Tiger. Any developers out there that have Tiger on a mini? Does your mute button "stick?"

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Apr 17, 2005, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by AppleOptionFour

My mini (1.42 G, 512 MB) does not do it.
I am using an original Apple USB keyboard (previous generation). Mute reacts instantly.

-t

jon l. dawson
Forum Regular
Apr 17, 2005, 12:53 PM

Mine does it, it's a Mini 1.42 with 1 GB RAM and Apple Pro Keyboard

cliffom
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 4, 2005, 01:05 AM

Originally Posted by AppleOptionFour
I wonder if this will be fixed in Tiger. Any developers out there that have Tiger on a mini? Does your mute button "stick?"
Sadly, Tiger still suffers this problem...

tooki
Admin Emeritus
May 8, 2005, 10:52 PM

This isn't limited to Mac minis, but I've definitely noticed that having less RAM makes it happen more often.

tooki

Forum Links
Forum Rules