Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Is it a big deal?

Is it a big deal?
zolagol
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 12, 2002, 11:20 PM

I mean this jump from G3 700 to 800 with the new iBooks, is it such a big fuss? Where would you see the difference, if it is noticable. I'm sure if the jump were to 1Ghz, then we'd see a "real" difference, but just 100 mhz shouldn't be a big fuss to make people change or want to upgrade right away. Unless this newer video card is a real gem.
Mac. When you want something that works. Period.

skyman
Mac Elite
Nov 12, 2002, 11:37 PM

Originally posted by zolagol:
I mean this jump from G3 700 to 800 with the new iBooks, is it such a big fuss? Where would you see the difference, if it is noticable. I'm sure if the jump were to 1Ghz, then we'd see a "real" difference, but just 100 mhz shouldn't be a big fuss to make people change or want to upgrade right away. Unless this newer video card is a real gem.
If you already own a 700MHz iBook then you really would not see that much of a difference between the 700MHz vs. 800MHz. The BEST thing about the new iBooks is the price. Apple is going to sell a boat load of these.

If you have a 600MHz iBook then I say go for the upgrade to the 800MHz.

Hope that helps.

robguz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 13, 2002, 09:38 AM

Originally posted by zolagol:
Well, the big deal is the better video card, double the VRAM, and $200 cheaper! The extra 10-15% speed boost is icing on the cake. For non-G4 tasks, this mac will beat a Ti 800!

flatcatch
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 13, 2002, 12:03 PM

Originally posted by skyman:

If you already own a 700MHz iBook then you really would not see that much of a difference between the 700MHz vs. 800MHz. The BEST thing about the new iBooks is the price. Apple is going to sell a boat load of these.

If you have a 600MHz iBook then I say go for the upgrade to the 800MHz.

Hope that helps.
I don't agree. I sold my 700 for a new 800 (and actually made a profit in the deal... I love eBay!). Anyway, IMHO my 700 was barely fast enough for OS X and apps, but the +100Mhz and the 32MB video make me happy man. I love this iBook much more than the 700. Rember that 16MB is the bare minimum for Quartz Extreme.... Apple recommends 32MB to take full advantage. And the 16x burner will definitely save me some time.

Keep the rubber side down!

iamnid
Senior User
Nov 13, 2002, 12:55 PM

besides the fact that the new video card has double the video memory (if you get the two upper model ibooks), it also has a much improved GPU -- the Radeon 7500 is WAY better than the plain Radeon in terms of graphic performance. Will you see this improvement in anything other than games -- probably not, but it is in my opinion a greater upgrade than the 100mhz added to the newer models.

flatcatch
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 13, 2002, 02:31 PM

Here is one huge difference between my old 700 and my new 800:

When I enabled multiple-monitor support on my 700 and ran the "Flurry" screen effect it would completely choke... maybe 5 frames per second. If I ran Flurry as my desktop backgrounds the CPU usage would spike to 100% and again the Flurry effect could only choke out a few frames per second.

However, I just enabled multiple monitor support on my new 800 and the 2 Flurry effects run perfectly on 2 monitors. Running as the desktop background CPU usage only peaks at around 25%. The new Radeon is quite an improvement!

Keep the rubber side down!

-Q-
Nov 13, 2002, 02:38 PM

Coming from a 500, enough cannot be said about the 4x improvement in video. I'll be happy with this one for quite a while...

Jumping from a 700 to an 800? If you can make a profit like flatcatch, go for it. But if you're finding OS X the least bit pokey, the new video system will definitely help you there....

sniffer
Professional Poster
Nov 14, 2002, 03:35 AM

Originally posted by flatcatch:

I don't agree. I sold my 700 for a new 800 (and actually made a profit in the deal... I love eBay!). Anyway, IMHO my 700 was barely fast enough for OS X and apps, but the +100Mhz and the 32MB video make me happy man. I love this iBook much more than the 700. Rember that 16MB is the bare minimum for Quartz Extreme.... Apple recommends 32MB to take full advantage. And the 16x burner will definitely save me some time.
You did the same thing with your old 600 right?

Nice going. Makes me almost consider an upgrade my self, althought my 600 8mb rage is still kicking for what it's worth..

Sniffer gone old-school sig

Forum Links
Forum Rules