Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > UK, US 802.11g Airport cards and base stations

UK, US 802.11g Airport cards and base stations
crucial
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 31, 2004, 02:57 AM

This might be a stupid question but . . . .

I want to buy an Airport Extreme card and Netgear wireless router for a friend with a new iBook who lives in the UK. Apart from the plug on the routers power adaptor can anyone see any problems ?

Nivag
Mac Elite
May 31, 2004, 06:26 AM

i don't believe there should be a problem, my netgear router is at work, but i'm sure it works from 110-240v, so all they'll need to do is buy a different cable for a few quid.

Freeflyer
Grizzled Veteran
May 31, 2004, 07:21 AM

My netgear router's power supply was 110v only. I bought a new PSU brick from Maplin for 12 quid, and it's working nicely.

J.
By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out - Richard Dawkins

ghporter
Administrator
May 31, 2004, 10:46 AM

There shouldn't be any problem with power, but the two locations are in different "regulatory domains." That means that the Crown is in charge of radio frequency usage in the UK, and the FCC is in charge in the US. As it happens, I believe that the UK uses the European 802.11 channels-14 of them-while the US uses North American channels-only 11.

I don't think there would be any problem with using a UK wireless system in the US, as long as you didn't interfere with anyone else, but there may be channel differences that the Government would be aware of in the UK. Check with whatever the UK frequency management agency is (I can't remember what it's called right now) to find out. Much better safe than sorry (and with confiscated equipment and a fine!).

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

crucial  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 2, 2004, 01:20 AM

Thanks for the help, sounds like it should all be possible if I can get the equipment past customs and solve the power brick issue.

Forum Links
Forum Rules