Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > foiled again!

foiled again!
chris_h
Mac Elite
Jun 29, 2001, 07:10 PM

Jury duty, day after my birthday !

Also, here is a completely random snap of my refridgerator here

juanvaldes
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 29, 2001, 07:20 PM

cool fridge dude, bummer about jury duty. Just make sure they think that you are bisaed! Easy way out.
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive.
- Thomas Jefferson, 1787

Avenir
Mac Elite
Jun 30, 2001, 07:37 AM

Your Honor, I don't think of myself as a 'racist' person, but rather, I hate everyone equally...

spike[at]avenirex[dot]com | Avenirex
IM - Avenirx | ICQ - 3932806

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 30, 2001, 09:13 AM

I've heard this one works:

"Your honor, I'd make an exellent Juror! I can spot a guilty person just like THAT!

Man , I've been a registered voter for 18 years, and I've never gotten the call. Tough luck.

CV

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

Timo
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 30, 2001, 12:59 PM

Hey I just finished jury duty yesterday: we sat in the holding room for 1 1/2 days, and then they let us go. Not too bad: it could have been for three days.

I think it's 'cause it's hot as **** � nobody wants to go to trial.

Anyway, it made for some serious reading time...good luck.

T

cheerios
Professional Poster
Jun 30, 2001, 09:50 PM

hey, don't feel bad, they've got me for the first week of school, after I turned them down 'cause of summer classes! Damn County won't let me be!!
The short shall inherit the earth. Just you wait. You won't see us coming. We'll pop out from under tables, beds, and closets in hordes. So you're tall, huh? You won't be so tall when I chew off your ankles. Mofo

Scott_H
Professional Poster
Jun 30, 2001, 10:23 PM

Originally posted by Avenir:
<STRONG>Your Honor, I don't think of myself as a 'racist' person, but rather, I hate everyone equally...</STRONG>
Ha ha. My friend was there once. A real "Chicago" guy was on the stand. Think "Superfans" from SNL. They ask him what he like to read and he says Field and Stream, Guns and Ammo and Solder of Fortune and other "outdoors" type magazines. Then they ask him if he has any racial prejudices that would get in the way of him being impartial. Answer.. Yes I do. They didn't take him.

The one time I had jury dooty one person in my lot didn't turn in the stub on the card. As the lots were being called and sent off to court ours was called to get the stub. I think they pulled our lot and found the stub missing so they set us aside until the morning rush was over. Then I waited until afternoon and never got called.

The secretary at work got a murder case. Patents killed the kid and stuffed him/her in the trunk. I asked if they threw the book at them. She said they threw everything at them. Illinois has the death penalty. I don�t know if that�s what they got.

[ 06-30-2001: Message edited by: Scott_H ]

3gg3
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 2, 2001, 12:49 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by chris_h:
[

Also, here is a completely random snap of my refridgerator /QUOTE]

As Cathy would say, AAAAAAAACK !!!

elppa cam
Jul 2, 2001, 12:59 AM

Nice collection of stuff on the BOX. (We have our Far Side favs.)

I believe this won't work anymore but you can try if it doesn't bother you...

If asked... you're an ATHIEST. Worked twice for me and...

Excuse me... i think the devil knocks at my door... Ahhhhhhh!
"I... baked... your... dog... for... you..."

mrfrost
Mac Elite
Jul 2, 2001, 03:18 PM

Ok...I don't mean to sound stupid or anything but....what's jury duty?
It has to do with murder?
Goddamn , why isn't there a universal language ?!?

Scott_H
Professional Poster
Jul 2, 2001, 03:24 PM

Originally posted by Mr_Frost:
<STRONG>Ok...I don't mean to sound stupid or anything but....what's jury duty?
It has to do with murder?
Goddamn , why isn't there a universal language ?!?</STRONG>
You know "jury of your peers". 12 angry men. It's for criminal and civil court cases. One time someone I know was on a jury of a woman who got injured by an abortion. She was suing the doctor for injury, a civil case. Another may be a murder or fraud, criminal case. Could be almost anyhting.

[ 07-02-2001: Message edited by: Scott_H ]

mrfrost
Mac Elite
Jul 2, 2001, 03:41 PM

Originally posted by Scott_H:
<STRONG>

You know "jury of your peers". 12 angry men. It's for criminal and civil court cases. One time someone I know was on a jury of a woman who got injured by an abortion. She was suing the doctor for injury, a civil case. Another may be a murder or fraud, criminal case. Could be almost anyhting.

[ 07-02-2001: Message edited by: Scott_H ]</STRONG>
Thanks for trying to explain but I just don't get it. There are several English terms that I don't get (like "Jury Duty")and normally I don't even bother to ask but the word "murder" got my attention. (I actually understood that one). I know what a jury is and what duty is but what does the term mean? What does one have to do when they have been given "Jury Duty"?
My English isn't really that good and I doubt that it'll get better someday.

Scott_H
Professional Poster
Jul 2, 2001, 03:50 PM

It means you have to go serve on a jury. You get a notice in the mail from the court telling you that it's time to go to the court house and serve. It's your civic duty to do so. It's the law too. The Mayor of New York was on a jury not too long ago.

mrfrost
Mac Elite
Jul 2, 2001, 04:00 PM

Originally posted by Scott_H:
<STRONG>It means you have to go serve on a jury. You get a notice in the mail from the court telling you that it's time to go to the court house and serve. It's your civic duty to do so. It's the law too. The Mayor of New York was on a jury not too long ago.</STRONG>
So there is no way out of there. No choice?
Jeez...that's a bit harsh isn't it?

Scott_H
Professional Poster
Jul 2, 2001, 04:19 PM

Originally posted by Mr_Frost:
<STRONG>

So there is no way out of there. No choice?
Jeez...that's a bit harsh isn't it?</STRONG>
No. People get out of it all the time but you don't have a choice. I think they're trying to tighten it up more though. If all the "important" people get out of jury duty then it's not a "jury of our peers" just a jury that had nothing better to do. We need doctors and sales people and school bus drivers and CEOs and expecting mothers and teamsters (truck drivers union).... on the jury.

mrfrost
Mac Elite
Jul 2, 2001, 04:30 PM

That makes sense !
Everyday people judging "everyday" people.

Kestral
Senior User
Jul 2, 2001, 04:39 PM

I've never been called for jury duty before but I'd personally be against saying I was racist or anything like that against my own character just to get out of jury duty. I don't know if they keep a record of such things during jury selection but if they do, it could come back and bite you in the ass. (Who knows, maybe in the future you have political aspirations and the person running against you finds this and slams you with it, or you lost out on a sweet civil service job because of this, etc etc etc). What goes around comes around.

chris_h  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 2, 2001, 10:49 PM

Originally posted by Kestral:
<STRONG> I don't know if they keep a record of such things during jury selction</STRONG>
Yeah, at some point (when the lawyers make strikes i believe) it does get transcribed, and therefore become public record.

However, turns out I don't have to go because I voted in Austin (travis county).... (i'm back home for the summer in smith county).

-
chris

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 3, 2001, 04:03 AM

when I was picked for jury duty, I sat there drawing in my sketchbook all day

I left the page open as lawyers were walkin' by and such, to a drawing of a judge with his gavel, lookin' all angry sayin' "Mr.(my last name), sit down...and someone take that weapon from him!!"... it was a wonderful drawing..

I noticed a couple of the lawyers checkin' it out..

I didn't get picked
ice

Forum Links
Forum Rules