Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > we need more liberals in here

we need more liberals in here
Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Oct 18, 2006, 10:29 PM

The four conservative horsemen are getting tired of killing the same 50 liberals over and over again.

fresh meat!, I say.

It's like that old 80's game 'Joust'. Once you figure out how to hover at the top of the screen, all the other ostriches fly into your spear thingy and die. As if that weren't boring enough, the levels stop increasing at 99...and it just keeps repeating the same level.

I may have to retire Spliffdaddy at 10,000 posts and create a new, even more radical player.

Perhaps the November elections will give me reason to.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 18, 2006, 10:31 PM

Abe to the rescue.

-t

placebo1969
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 18, 2006, 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by Spliffdaddy View Post
The four conservative horsemen are getting tired of killing the same 50 liberals over and over again.

fresh meat!, I say.

It's like that old 80's game 'Joust'. Once you figure out how to hover at the top of the screen, all the other ostriches fly into your spear thingy and die. As if that weren't boring enough, the levels stop increasing at 99...and it just keeps repeating the same level.

I may have to retire Spliffdaddy at 10,000 posts and create a new, even more radical player.

Damn, I didn't know that about Joust. All those quarters.

marden
Baninated
Oct 18, 2006, 11:38 PM

fresh meat!, I say.

puppetswhokill
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 19, 2006, 01:24 AM

( Last edited by puppetswhokill; Sep 8, 2008 at 04:59 AM. Reason: blah)

War is peace. Wrong is right. Up is down.
Death is life. Lies are truth.

marden
Baninated
Oct 19, 2006, 02:07 AM

Originally Posted by puppetswhokill View Post
I think you should be recruiting more sexual predators to the forum.

Then you would have something in common.
Your preoccupation with sexual predation makes your posts the ones that virtually scream, "catch me before I pre-date again."

And your sig is just creepy.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Oct 19, 2006, 02:24 AM

I dunno Spliff, I think you should continue on after the big 10K. Retiring nicks are a MacNN cliché. Besides, you're my favourite nut around here. I dunno why, but behind your crazy world views you seem like a nice guy I could go out and have a beer with. Maybe it's your nick, or even your moustache, that makes me think that – but you are a-ok in my book.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

gadster
Mac Elite
Oct 19, 2006, 02:46 AM

The only people left in here are those whose rigid ideology prevents them from even considering the views of others, unless those beliefs are the same as their own.

This 'smackdown' **** and the funny pictures, heh, that's some tough ****.

That's the problem with faith-based politics; reason, by definition, is not an issue. So why bother arguing with one another?

The rational people have left the building. Oh, the odd one wanders in now and again, but they don't last long.

Let's talk again after November.
e-gads

Spliffdaddy  (op)
Posting Junkie
Oct 19, 2006, 02:54 AM

Yeah, but it ain't easy being Spliffdaddy. I have to work at it. I wonder if I'm the only person here who is portraying a character. Surely not everyone is being themselves? This is the internet...you're supposed to be acting. Spliffdaddy is the guy that follows the conservative 'party line' and hates liberals. Spliffdaddy isn't me. Occasionally I slip-up and post as myself, but that always comes across as soft and mushy and it ruins the Spliffdaddy mystique. See, lately I'm messing him up. I forget that I'm supposed to be acting. See, when I'm playing Spliffdaddy nobody can get to me. I'm immune to direct attacks. I wish other members could distance themselves from their screen name. Maybe not take things so personally. We lost some good folks because they portrayed themselves. Simey left, ya know. They got to him. Lerk is back, so maybe there's hope. Spliffdaddy will try to run him off. Test him. But the real me is glad to see him around.

This is entertainment. I do learn things here, however. So, it's both educational and entertaining. I hope it's the same for everybody else. The real me loves people in general. The liberals, conservatives, foreigners, and even yankees (and now featuring our once-removed conspiracy theorist). This place would suck without them. I enjoy a good argument. I absolutely love being proved wrong. That's probably my sole reason for being here. When I think I'm right, hell I'm usually right. It's a breath of fresh air to be wrong every now and then...makes me feel young again.

Maybe I'll let Spliffdaddy evolve into a new character. Something that requires less work on my part. He can't be a moderate, though. Being a moderate is a cop-out. Too easy. I've been thinking about a deep south backwoods hillbilly character. Which is what Spliffdaddy was supposed to be. A Coors drinking NASCAR loving gool ol boy. Or maybe he should be a she. I'll figure something out. All I know is I'm ending Spliffdaddy as you know him.

marden
Baninated
Oct 19, 2006, 02:58 AM

Yeah, but it ain't easy being Spliffdaddy. I have to work at it. I wonder if I'm the only person here who is portraying a character. Surely not everyone is being themselves? This is the internet...you're supposed to be acting. Spliffdaddy is the guy that follows the conservative 'party line' and hates liberals. Spliffdaddy isn't me. Occasionally I slip-up and post as myself, but that always comes across as soft and mushy and it ruins the Spliffdaddy mystique. See, lately I'm messing him up. I forget that I'm supposed to be acting. See, when I'm playing Spliffdaddy nobody can get to me. I'm immune to direct attacks. I wish other members could distance themselves from their screen name. Maybe not take things so personally. We lost some good folks because they portrayed themselves. Simey left, ya know. They got to him. Lerk is back, so maybe there's hope. Spliffdaddy will try to run him off. Test him. But the real me is glad to see him around.

This is entertainment. I do learn things here, however. So, it's both educational and entertaining. I hope it's the same for everybody else. The real me loves people in general. The liberals, conservatives, foreigners, and even yankees (and now featuring our once-removed conspiracy theorist). This place would suck without them. I enjoy a good argument. I absolutely love being proved wrong. That's probably my sole reason for being here. When I think I'm right, hell I'm usually right. It's a breath of fresh air to be wrong every now and then...makes me feel young again.

Maybe I'll let Spliffdaddy evolve into a new character. Something that requires less work on my part. He can't be a moderate, though. Being a moderate is a cop-out. Too easy. I've been thinking about a deep south backwoods hillbilly character. Which is what Spliffdaddy was supposed to be. A Coors drinking NASCAR loving gool ol boy. Or maybe he should be a she. I'll figure something out. All I know is I'm ending Spliffdaddy as you know him.
We'll miss you.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Oct 19, 2006, 03:05 AM

I take it this was you posting as yourself. I don't care what character you put on in the future, it's the guy behind the character I appreciate. And it seems that you can't hide very well any more

Spliffdaddy  (op)
Posting Junkie
Oct 19, 2006, 03:14 AM

Sorry, marden. But I think you won't miss Splffdaddy so much. I'll never stop being a conservative and I'll always argue with liberals - that much won't change. You'll see more deviation from the expected point of view. More of a glimpse of things the real me believes. Anybody here could stand-in for Spliffdaddy. How hard could it be? You already know what he's going to say.
So, I can't do Spliffdaddy much longer. He's played-out. Let him leave the game before he starts to struggle. I also can't be myself, since I'm one super-boring mofo in real life.
I'll figure something out. And I promise it won't suck.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Oct 19, 2006, 03:19 AM

So, I can't do Spliffdaddy much longer. He's played-out. Let him leave the game before he starts to struggle. I also can't be myself, since I'm one super-boring mofo in real life.
You mean the pic of you in the pimp-hat ain't real?

Heh. As long as you don't turn into another abe/marden (which I am more and more certain must be a liberal parodying a neoconservative the way he shames the conservative side around here) that's fine by me.

Johnny Reb
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 19, 2006, 03:28 AM

Yeah, the pimp hat is mine. I earned that hat.

So what do you think of this screen name?

Pretty nice if you ask me.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Oct 19, 2006, 03:33 AM

Is it short for rebel?

Not going to wait 'till the big 10K then?

Johnny Reb
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 19, 2006, 03:42 AM

I'm just trying out some screen names. Spliffy will live to see 10k.

"Johnny Reb" is the term used to describe a confederate soldier during the civil war. The yankees had another name for their union soldiers...which escapes me right now. I'll have to google that one. "Billy Yank" might be the name.

Kinda like 'charlie' was a generic term for the viet-cong soldiers.

Spliffdaddy  (op)
Posting Junkie
Oct 19, 2006, 03:52 AM

yeah, that Johnny Reb character is gonna need some work.

Still, I think there's more potential with him than with, say, a Spliffmommy.

I'd like to be a hot redhead in a skirt. But all the dudes would just agree with me and suck up to me - in an effort to score.

Nicko
Professional Poster
Oct 19, 2006, 03:54 AM

bat-#hit crazy americans make me laugh?

Spliffdaddy  (op)
Posting Junkie
Oct 19, 2006, 04:07 AM

Yeah, well I want to know who plays the 'Monique' character. That dude is *good*. I'd be happy to be half that talented.

Nobody. I mean nobody could stand-in for Monique.

Even 'Fat Barry' pales in comparison.

And we can all agree that Fat Barry is the shiznit.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Oct 19, 2006, 05:11 AM

Fat Barry is the win.

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 19, 2006, 08:24 AM

I highly recommend it.

To Spliffcousin, Once Removed!

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Oct 19, 2006, 08:30 AM

I want to know who took over for Voodoo. The old guy was much nicer.

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 19, 2006, 08:35 AM

Yeah, no kidding. I'd be curious as to what real life events twists a man so.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Oct 19, 2006, 08:40 AM

He already shared that with us. He got God.

The Catholic variety.

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 19, 2006, 08:41 AM

He wasn't Catholic before?

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Oct 19, 2006, 08:48 AM

Nah, moderate Lutheran or something. He moved to Spain. Too much sun I suspect.

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 19, 2006, 08:49 AM

I was speculating it was the rain.

(and where is he from originally?)

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Oct 19, 2006, 08:51 AM

Iceland I think, some Norwegian in there too I think.

*Paging voodoo to the liberal thread. Paging voodoo.*

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Oct 19, 2006, 08:52 AM

So you're kind of like Stephen Colbert?

More power to ya.

V
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 19, 2006, 08:52 AM

Wow, I need to consider taking PL History 102.

Edit: This is all recent Erik? I thought he's been in Spain as long as I can remember.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Oct 19, 2006, 08:53 AM

That was quick.

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 19, 2006, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - - View Post
That was quick.
The Church is always watching.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Oct 19, 2006, 08:57 AM

That was quick.
Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition

V

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Oct 19, 2006, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by Dakar² View Post
The Church is always watching.

Nobody expects the spanish inquisition!

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Oct 19, 2006, 08:58 AM

No wai!!!

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Oct 19, 2006, 08:59 AM

Always step ahead of ya erik

V

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 19, 2006, 08:59 AM

Nice. Kudos to you both.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Oct 19, 2006, 09:04 AM

That'll teach me not to bother with Google Images again.

Sky Captain
Mac Elite
Location: Second star to the right, and straight on till morning
Oct 19, 2006, 09:19 AM

One can be liberal witout being leftist/socialist.
All men are created equal, but what they do after that point puts them on a sliding scale.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Oct 19, 2006, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by Sky Captain View Post
One can be liberal witout being leftist/socialist.
In Europe a liberal is a right-leaning, free-market, small-government and individual freedom supporting.

In other words, in Europe a liberal is never left-wing or socialist.

V

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Oct 19, 2006, 09:53 AM

Since Spliffdaddy won't be posting again, I can insult him....

What a dumbass redneck teabag. He was never right about anything, except looking like a teabag and being a Daddy of illegal drugs. He was old, and smelled like cabbage like old people do. Plus, I think he lived in a van down by the river and listened to Duran Duran all day, and then later episodes of the Teletubbies. That dude liked the Teletubbies so much, he told me once that he wants to have sex with the purple one.

Sicko.

Sky Captain
Mac Elite
Location: Second star to the right, and straight on till morning
Oct 19, 2006, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by voodoo View Post
In Europe a liberal is a right-leaning, free-market, small-government and individual freedom supporting.

V
Then this is me.
All men are created equal, but what they do after that point puts them on a sliding scale.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 19, 2006, 10:11 AM

Often enough liberals are "right-leaning", but true liberalism is not. True liberalism embraces economic and social freedom. Luckily some true liberals still exist, e. g. the http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freiburger_Kreis in Germany.

BlueSky
Mac Elite
Oct 19, 2006, 11:14 AM

Yeah, but it ain't easy being Spliffdaddy. I have to work at it. I wonder if I'm the only person here who is portraying a character.
besson, didn't I tell you he was making it up?

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Oct 19, 2006, 08:01 PM

In other words, in Europe a liberal is never left-wing or socialist.

V
In America this is called Libertarian, or classic liberalism. As Tetenal points out true liberalism embraces economic and social freedom.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Oct 19, 2006, 08:03 PM

… and why did you turn a perfectly happy non-sensical feel-good thread into a serious one Sky Captain?

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Oct 19, 2006, 08:03 PM

In America this is called Libertarian.
Those merry cans and their dialect. I do prefer their spelling though.

V

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Oct 19, 2006, 08:14 PM

In America this is called Libertarian, or classic liberalism.
Note that "left-libertarians" (as described on that Wiki page) are generally idiots. Largely because the "left" part completely cancels out the "libertarian" part.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Oct 19, 2006, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
Note that "left-libertarians" (as described on that Wiki page) are generally idiots. Largely because the "left" part completely cancels out the "libertarian" part.
Anyone with a differing view than me is an idiot!!!

marden
Baninated
Oct 19, 2006, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
Since Spliffdaddy won't be posting again, I can insult him....

What a dumbass redneck teabag. He was never right about anything, except looking like a teabag and being a Daddy of illegal drugs. He was old, and smelled like cabbage like old people do. Plus, I think he lived in a van down by the river and listened to Duran Duran all day, and then later episodes of the Teletubbies. That dude liked the Teletubbies so much, he told me once that he wants to have sex with the purple one.

Sicko.
That's pretty funny!

Forum Links
Forum Rules