Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Macbook Pro (2.2Ghz) Fails to wake from sleep. Reboots into sleep. Help!

Macbook Pro (2.2Ghz) Fails to wake from sleep. Reboots into sleep. Help!
Lancer409
Professional Poster
Dec 26, 2008, 02:30 PM

Fellow NN'ers. I was hoping you guys could help with my Macbook troubles. I have a older gen MBPro, and on Christmas eve, I put it into sleep mode, and it wouldnt wake up. As it is, It seems like it's perpetually in sleep. When I try to turn it on, it'll have a low glow sleep light on (non pulsating). When i close the lid, it'll show a bright sleep light (non pulsating). I dont hear the gong when I turn it on after forcing it to power off... I have no clue what to do.

I tried holding *Command-option-p-r* at power-on. and what it did do, when i powered it on, was delayed the sleep light from coming on (until i let go of the keys). there was no gong, no second gong .. nothing.

Does anyone know what's wrong with my lappy?

Your help is much appreciated!

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Dec 26, 2008, 03:05 PM

It's not sleep it's in. It's showing that the display isn't on. Why it isn't on is anyone's guess, but at least the computer technically knows it's not on. No AppleCare right?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Lancer409  (op)
Professional Poster
Dec 26, 2008, 03:31 PM

ahh.. so if the screen doesnt come on, the sleep light turns on?

You're right, no apple care. Anyone know how i can fix this guy?

Btw, your response is appreciated.

(also, does this mean an external screen might work?)

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 26, 2008, 04:20 PM

Try an external screen.

What graphics card does it have?
Has it ever been dropped?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 26, 2008, 04:27 PM

*really* dumb question:

Have you tried repeatedly pressing F2 (or fn+F2 if Fkeys are switched on) while it's on?

Lancer409  (op)
Professional Poster
Dec 26, 2008, 08:22 PM

seanc (I have the stock card that came with it) 8600M GT 128mb.

Spheric Harlot ... I am not sure if I repeatedly hit F2 .. I was in OS X @ the time, not windows. Is F2 a "projector" related button, in which it might have set it to display externally or through a projector?

I dont recall repeatedly tapping F2, but i may have hit those keys after I noticed the display being off. I might have attempted to turn up the brightness, thinking the display brightness was turned all the way down.

Should I repeatedly tap f2?

I will attempt to use a external display to see what I get. *bites nails*

Yes, I have dropped it before. It was a hmm... approx 3 ft drop from a chair onto the floor (Marmoleum).

The laptop was in a padded timbuk2 laptop bag, but the impact dented the bottom tray on the front left side corner. Very small dent, barely noticeable. It's not a dent as much as the metal "puckered" a little at the seam. It's worked totally normally since then, without any glitch or complaint or display issue.

Please Advise, I appreciate your help.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 26, 2008, 08:45 PM

Well since it's an 8600M - it may well have failed in the bad batch of nVidia chips. Apple should replace it for you but you'll have to hope that they'll do it with the damage on the notebook.

F2 is the brightness increase button BTW.

Forum Links
Forum Rules