Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > WWDC 2022: opinions and impressions?

WWDC 2022: opinions and impressions?
OreoCookie
Jun 7, 2022, 07:46 AM

I think this was a really good one: with so many of the features I found myself saying “I‘m going to use that!” Plus, it was nice to see predictable UI elements. When they showed off the new Lock Screen, it was clear where the inspiration came from and how to customize it. Shared Photos libraries? Yes! Heart rate zones? Exactly what I want. (Running power is also amazing, but I‘m a cyclist, not a runner.) The corners for resizing iPad windows are beautiful. The only thing where I thought meh in isolation was Exposé v12 on macOS: I am not sure it is an improvement. But on the iPad: great. The MacBook Air also looks like a winner. I just wish Apple offered the same colors as for the iMac. I‘d really love a yellow MacBook Air.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jun 7, 2022, 05:02 PM

I'm surprised the MacBook Air wasn't made available in some brighter colours. I still think they should use the colours they had for the second gen iPad Minis. I know a bright pink anodised MacBook would sell big.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 7, 2022, 07:09 PM

My late 2016 15“ is out of the loop. It was obviously going to be at some point, but the upgrade later this year, when I move to Monterey, will be its last one.

OreoCookie  (op)
Jun 7, 2022, 08:15 PM

Yeah, they seem to be more aggressive with cutting off machines.
To be fair, I had lots of problems with iOS15 on my iPhone 7 — it was constantly running out of RAM and would then promptly kill apps. Music was unbearably slow at times. I wonder what the reasons behind this decision are — and typically (but not always) Apple has good reasons for cutting off machines.

I‘m really tempted to replace my 16“ 2019 x86-based MacBook Pro by a new decked out MacBook Air.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jun 7, 2022, 08:59 PM

There are already features that are AS exclusive so I'd expect Apple to want to drop all Intel Macs as soon as they can but since they are still selling Intel Macs they will have to issue an Intel build for at least 4 more years. And I'd expect those OS versions to run reasonably well using Open Core on unsupported Intel Macs too.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

OreoCookie  (op)
Jun 7, 2022, 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
There are already features that are AS exclusive so I'd expect Apple to want to drop all Intel Macs as soon as they can but since they are still selling Intel Macs they will have to issue an Intel build for at least 4 more years. And I'd expect those OS versions to run reasonably well using Open Core on unsupported Intel Macs too.
I think they will aim to support Intel Macs for 5 years or so. Given that they still sell the x86-based Mac Pro, that should be 2027 or so.

reader50
Administrator
Jun 8, 2022, 12:08 AM

The PowerMac G5 Quad was the last PowerPC. Discontinued August 2006. Some inventory might have been sold for a bit longer.

Snow Leopard was introduced August 2009, just three years later. With PPC support removed.

OreoCookie  (op)
Jun 8, 2022, 02:34 AM

Fair enough, I had forgotten about that. So perhaps the period really is slower.

I really have the impression that a lot of the new features rely on functionality included in M-series SoCs, so perhaps you are right and Apple will be more aggressive in their timeline.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jun 8, 2022, 03:56 AM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
The PowerMac G5 Quad was the last PowerPC. Discontinued August 2006. Some inventory might have been sold for a bit longer.

Snow Leopard was introduced August 2009, just three years later. With PPC support removed.
Those PowerMacs weren't $50,000 though.

Brien
Professional Poster
Jun 12, 2022, 01:13 AM

Apple won’t care.

The Final Shortcut
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 18, 2022, 07:14 AM

Just went from an iPad Air 2 with a broken thumbprint sensor to an M1 iPad Air 5.

Damn this thing is fast. Still can’t get comfortable doing any work on a tablet though.

MacNNFamous
Senior User
Jun 18, 2022, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
Yeah, they seem to be more aggressive with cutting off machines.
To be fair, I had lots of problems with iOS15 on my iPhone 7 — it was constantly running out of RAM and would then promptly kill apps. Music was unbearably slow at times. I wonder what the reasons behind this decision are — and typically (but not always) Apple has good reasons for cutting off machines.

I‘m really tempted to replace my 16“ 2019 x86-based MacBook Pro by a new decked out MacBook Air.
I bought an M1 air and then picked up a 14" mbp. AMA.

I think the Air is a better deal, but the price they charge for HDD space is so dumb. The only reason I have a 14" mbp was that I found one with a bunch of upgrades for $1700 local from a university tech admin, was $2500 retail.

Even the base model air is faster than my 12 core Mac Pro. It sucks power and it's slow but still runs games nice and the storage from using real HDs is so sick. Will be replacing it with a studio at some point..... but for now I think it's best to just ride it out.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 18, 2022, 07:21 PM

I feel obligated to mention this every time Apple’s SSDs are brought up.

Yeah, they’re overpriced, and yeah it sucks they're soldered in, but they are absolute screamers. The SSD in my M1 Mini reads at 3GB/s and writes at 2.8GB/s.

OreoCookie  (op)
Jun 18, 2022, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by MacNNFamous View Post
I bought an M1 air and then picked up a 14" mbp. AMA.
How much faster does the 14” feel? Does the 14” have the M1 Pro or the Max? How much of a difference does the added GPU power make when navigating spaces and the like?
I think the Air is a better deal, but the price they charge for HDD space is so dumb. The only reason I have a 14" mbp was that I found one with a bunch of upgrades for $1700 local from a university tech admin, was $2500 retail.
The only reason that is holding me back at this point is that the Air maxes out at 2 TB storage. Currently, I have 4 and I’d have to offload some stuff if I went back to 2.
Even the base model air is faster than my 12 core Mac Pro. It sucks power and it's slow but still runs games nice and the storage from using real HDs is so sick. Will be replacing it with a studio at some point..... but for now I think it's best to just ride it out.
The machine is great — except for battery life, which is atrocious. And I should have gone for 32 GB RAM. (At the time I thought I had to decide between 4 TB and 32 gigs of RAM …) Unless I am closing my browsers (yes, I have way too many tabs open), I get 3–4 hours on that huge battery. And it is noisy.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 18, 2022, 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
I have 4 and I’d have to offload some stuff if I went back to 2.
I’m so used to the small SSDs now I can’t imagine how I’d need 4TB of stuff. I mean, on the computer all at once.

Forum Links
Forum Rules