Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > HELP!!! EVERYTHING IS FAILING! ( word, ichat, itunes, safari )

HELP!!! EVERYTHING IS FAILING! ( word, ichat, itunes, safari )
cheery7upper
Forum Regular
Dec 12, 2006, 12:09 AM

Two days ago I updated my computer so that I coudl use gmail w/ my mail/entourage system. THEN ... all heck broke loose. I my ichat dissapears from the dock bar immediatly and does not open - i've tried installing a new version. My itunes I updated and it stalls on every openning, my word freezes my computer so I have to shut down, and safari unexpectedly quits.

I have 10.4.8 - all updates current ( 14in ibook ), 1.42 GHz, 1 GB SDRam, 26.74 GB available.

I have updated everything, and I did the first aid ... no porblems, verrified everything, no problems ( or they fixed them durning that bit).

So now, I am stuck - and I have a 40 page paper due - with most of my research and previous paper on here - I have to keep openning them with pages.

I will check on this frequently - but if you have any ideas feel free to im me on aim: cheery7upper or yahoo: aqua0299

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 12, 2006, 03:35 AM

Take out the extra RAM you have and see if things are better.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Dec 12, 2006, 12:43 PM

Yep. Sounds like typical symptoms of defective RAM.

andreas_g4
Professional Poster
Dec 12, 2006, 06:44 PM

Problems like that often can be solved by trashing faulty items in the "Application Support" folder in your home directory. check if the problems occur with an nwe user account. If so, it's either preferences or app support.

cheery7upper  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 13, 2006, 04:52 AM

Originally Posted by seanc View Post
Take out the extra RAM you have and see if things are better.
How do I get rid of the defective RAM?

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 13, 2006, 05:22 AM

You physically take it out.

Unplug the iBook and take out the battery, lift up the keyboard, take out the airport card, unscrew the four screws holding the little RAM shield down, lift it up, take out the RAM, put it back together and see if things are better.

cheery7upper  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 13, 2006, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by andreas_g4 View Post
Problems like that often can be solved by trashing faulty items in the "Application Support" folder in your home directory. check if the problems occur with an nwe user account. If so, it's either preferences or app support.
ichat and itunes works on another user account, word however still causes the computer to crash.

Forum Links
Forum Rules