Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > Mac as a web host server

Mac as a web host server
westrock
Jun 7, 2005, 04:27 PM

I see that I can use my Mac as a webserver, and can even log into it from within my network from other PC's. Right now when I use IE and type in the Macbox's local address 192.168.0.x it comes up with that Apache web page.

But how would I make it visible to the world outside my cable modem? I read this webpage, and it made sense (I know my OSX will be slightly different) however I have a few questions.

The outside world will access the IP address of the router attached to the cable modem, and I can use a DNS service or whatever to match that IP address to whatever .com name I would like to use right?

I leave the router on all the time, so the IP would probably rarely change, but DNS services should allow you to change the actual IP right?

The Mac isn't the only computer on the router so how would I direct the web page requests to the Mac?

Am I missing something important here? It seems like a real easy thing. I'm not planning on anything big, just basically I would like to host my own images and stuff and don't want to have to worry about disk size limitations of a host service, plus it would be much easier to manage my files locally.

BTW: Mac in question is a Mini 1.25Ghz 1gb ram with OSX 10.39. I have 10.4, but have not installed it yet.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jun 7, 2005, 05:22 PM

If your IP is dynamically assigned, you'll want to use DynDNS.

And directing outside requests to your Mac means forwarding port 80 to the computer that you want.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

westrock  (op)
Jun 7, 2005, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit
If your IP is dynamically assigned, you'll want to use DynDNS.

And directing outside requests to your Mac means forwarding port 80 to the computer that you want.

OK, so port 80 is the Internet port? Will this affect other computers on the network (IE: incoming Internet will be steered to just the Macbox?)

jay3ld
Senior User
Jun 7, 2005, 09:42 PM

most likely not.

but i would suggest getting a Switch instead. they retain ips better on macs and they send the info directly to that computer instead of all computers as a router does.

with mac os x it is super simple to use your computer as a web host. though installing things such as php and mysql dont always work right for people like me.

just go to system prefs. Sharing. and enable the internet sharing. once you do this. right below it will tell you the default address that the computer gives your website based on ip or an address based on your isp address.

mondayisgreat
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 8, 2005, 02:02 PM

just a side note: port 80 is the typical port for HTTP
so that is the default port that is accessed for web pages

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jun 8, 2005, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by westrock
OK, so port 80 is the Internet port? Will this affect other computers on the network (IE: incoming Internet will be steered to just the Macbox?)
Port 80 is the port that the Web server runs on by default. Any outside traffic trying to connect to port 80 will be redirected to that computer, which is what you want. Otherwise it won't affect anything.
Chuck
___

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jun 8, 2005, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by jay3ld
with mac os x it is super simple to use your computer as a web host. though installing things such as php and mysql dont always work right for people like me.
PHP is already installed at least as of 10.3. And MySQL has a package installer now too, so that's double-click simple.
Chuck
___

jay3ld
Senior User
Jun 8, 2005, 05:47 PM

then i must be missing something else to run a phpnuke webpage from my computer.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jun 8, 2005, 06:22 PM

You do have to edit two lines in your httpd.conf file to make Apache use PHP.
Chuck
___

jay3ld
Senior User
Jun 8, 2005, 07:07 PM

kool worked.

2 questions. were is the database stored
and is there a phpmyadmin for mac?

thanks.

i am really interested in this. i have my own .com and i would like to be able to test mods and addons without screwing up my site. so thats why im trying to get this to work.

oh a 3rd question. how do i install mysql??? or does mac have it? i cant seem to get a phpnuke running but that test.php file they had me do works.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jun 8, 2005, 08:05 PM

were is the database stored
What database?

and is there a phpmyadmin for mac?
VersionTracker tells me so. I use CocoaMySQL, personally.

oh a 3rd question. how do i install mysql???
Download the Installer package from MySQL.
Chuck
___

jay3ld
Senior User
Jun 8, 2005, 08:43 PM

thanks for all your help but i got the last and hopefully final questions

ok since mysql was installed i got phpmyadmin to work.

but i get these 2 errors.

1. What is this error? and how to fix
Code:
The $cfg['PmaAbsoluteUri'] directive MUST be set in your configuration file!

2. How do i set this root user password?
Code:
Your configuration file contains settings (root with no password) that correspond to the default MySQL privileged account. Your MySQL server is running with this default, is open to intrusion, and you really should fix this security hole.
EDIT:

OH

i was in the phpmyadmin and...
i was changing root password so that stupid error would stop bothering me and now i cant log in or get it to change the set up files right to log in. stupidy!!!!

How do i either set up or get back no password?

im so stupid
( Last edited by jay3ld; Jun 9, 2005 at 01:45 AM. )

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jun 9, 2005, 10:59 AM

What is this error? and how to fix
Code:
The $cfg['PmaAbsoluteUri'] directive MUST be set in your configuration file!
http://www.google.com/search?client=...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

i was in the phpmyadmin and...
i was changing root password so that stupid error would stop bothering me and now i cant log in or get it to change the set up files right to log in. stupidy!!!!

How do i either set up or get back no password?
No need to panic. MySQL has a walkthrough on this. Basically, here's what you do:

1. Stop MySQL (you can do this from the prefpane).

2. Create a text file in your home folder called "fixmysql" and put the following text inside:
Code:
SET PASSWORD FOR 'root'@'localhost' = PASSWORD('MyNewPassword');
where MyNewPassword is, of course, your new password.

3. In the Terminal, type
Code:
/usr/local/mysql/bin/mysqld_safe --init-file=~/fixmysql
MySQL will restart with the new root password and everything should be gold.
Chuck
___

jay3ld
Senior User
Jun 9, 2005, 06:12 PM

that didnt work but i just reinstalled mysql and it works. i didnt have anything important so reinstalling everything wont hurt me

westrock  (op)
Jun 12, 2005, 10:15 PM

I wasn't real sure what you guys are talking about and whether it applies to me as well.

However I went to the router (linksys WCG200) and under Applications & Gameing > Port Forwarding I madeup an application name and did port 80 for both stop and start and forwarded it to 192.168.0.12. So now when I type in the IP address of the router (http://66.190.70.77/), the browser says it can't connect.

I have not touched anything under /etc. Do I need to change some stuff under there? Also if I just type in the local IP of the Mac I do get the Apache default page.
( Last edited by westrock; Jun 13, 2005 at 02:11 AM. )

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jun 12, 2005, 10:48 PM

I get the default Apache page at 66.190.70.77. Try again, maybe?
Chuck
___

westrock  (op)
Jun 13, 2005, 02:12 AM

Hmm, I don't know. I can't see it from a PC that is also behind the wall. It gets a failure to connect error on IE. I placed the PC in the DMZ and didn't make any difference. But if you say it works, then thats a start

My router is an integrated router/cable modem/wifi, so I can't place one of the PC's in front of the router.

jay3ld
Senior User
Jun 13, 2005, 06:43 PM

ur site isnt working for me

but ok
i got phpmyadmin running fine. now i want to make it so when i go to the secret fold name that it asks to login like when you go to a web site were the .htaccess is asking you to log in

also how would i do .htaccess? i dont know what to put for AuthUserFile
i have one but when i go to the site nothing happens just loads the page like it cant access the .htaccess but i changed my httpd.conf file to allow that file to override its settings.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jun 13, 2005, 07:31 PM

I can't access the site either. I assume his IP has changed or his server has been turned off.
Chuck
___

genevish
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 14, 2005, 03:58 PM

ur site isnt working for me

but ok
i got phpmyadmin running fine. now i want to make it so when i go to the secret fold name that it asks to login like when you go to a web site were the .htaccess is asking you to log in

also how would i do .htaccess? i dont know what to put for AuthUserFile
i have one but when i go to the site nothing happens just loads the page like it cant access the .htaccess but i changed my httpd.conf file to allow that file to override its settings.
This site has info on authentication settings for phpMyAdmin.

As for .htaccess files, the AuthUserFile needs to point to an AuthUserFile (surprise). Check this tutorial for an example of how to create it.
Scott Genevish
scott AT genevish DOT org

jersey
Senior User
Jul 11, 2005, 11:04 PM

hello all,

sorry to resurrect this thread but i seem to be a bit confused.

i set up a sever at home, and using dns via my domain account features pointed it to my server.

how do insert dyndns.org into this equation? should i use domain url forwarding to point my domain to my dyndns account instead, and then let dyndns do its thing?

thanks all.

here are the 2 sites currently on the server btw: gone
gone
( Last edited by jersey; Jun 23, 2010 at 02:58 PM. )

genevish
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 12, 2005, 07:04 PM

Does your home computer have a static IP address? If so, you just need to put that IP address in your DNS record for these URL's.

If you don't have a static IP address, you need to pay for Custom DNS services with DynDNS, then use the DynDNS name servers for your DNS resolution. DynDNS has pretty good info on it (or ask back here, or message me directly...)

-Scott
Scott Genevish

jersey
Senior User
Jul 13, 2005, 01:57 AM

Originally Posted by genevish
Does your home computer have a static IP address? If so, you just need to put that IP address in your DNS record for these URL's.

If you don't have a static IP address, you need to pay for Custom DNS services with DynDNS, then use the DynDNS name servers for your DNS resolution. DynDNS has pretty good info on it (or ask back here, or message me directly...)

-Scott
Scott,

I have a dynamic ip, but have no problem updating them manually once i get this mess figured out. it's only 2 sites, so i dont think it'll be a big deal.

I guess i'm getting confused with my 2 ip addresses, which is internal / external and which goes where.

they are : 67.85.182.81 and 192.168.0.101

which one goes into the url's dns record? if i go here it gives me the 67.... address. shouldnt this one go in the domain dns since it's external?

then i have to figure out port forwarding on this d link router.

thanks so much for the help,

best,

-j

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jul 13, 2005, 02:04 AM

Yes, the IP address that's visible to the world (the 67.85.x.x one) is the one you should use in your DNS record. If you have more than one computer, you'll want to assign the server a static IP in your LAN so you can forward ports to the internal IP address. (You won't have to do that if you only have one computer, since it should always get the first address available.)

Any clearer?
Chuck
___

jersey
Senior User
Jul 13, 2005, 12:31 PM

My next question is:

why do all 3 computers connected to my network have the same external ip address? wont this simply confuse things?

and can anyone point to a good, thorough tutorial so i dont have to bug all of you nice people?

Chris O'Brien
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 13, 2005, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by jersey
My next question is:

why do all 3 computers connected to my network have the same external ip address? wont this simply confuse things?

and can anyone point to a good, thorough tutorial so i dont have to bug all of you nice people?
They all have the same external IP because the router you are using does NAT, or IP Masquerading. Essentially, you have an internal LAN connected to one of the router's NICs and there's an external one which connects to the Internet. Everything from outside your LAN sees the external NIC and it's your router which figures out where to send packets inside the LAN - so, unless you port-forward requests on certain ports of the router to specific machines on the LAN they are dropped. It's a nice security feature as well: only computers on the LAN can instantiate connections (if there's no user defined port forwarding going on). NAT is also a nice way around the shortage of IPv4 addresses.

Well, that's the gist anyway - check wikipedia or google at large for more info, I suppose.
Just who are Britain? What do they? Who is them? And why?

Formerly Black Book

jersey
Senior User
Jul 13, 2005, 03:29 PM

wikipedia, good suggestion.

genevish
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 13, 2005, 08:56 PM

This page seems to have the info on how to set up the port forwarding on the D-Link router.

The issue I see is the fact that each ISP caches DNS information. This means that when I go to your website, I'll get the IP address from my ISP's DNS server, not yours. If you change the IP address on your domain name, it will take several hours to several days for the new IP address to propagate throughout the other DNS servers.
Scott Genevish

hhlee
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 13, 2005, 09:21 PM

not to rain on your parade but if it were up to me, i wouldn't use the mac as a server:

http://www.anandtech.com/mac/showdoc.aspx?i=2436&p=8

the mac is quite slow in mysql and php services - choose to use linux instead or heaven forbid, windo......z
( Last edited by hhlee; Jul 13, 2005 at 09:21 PM. Reason: typo)

genevish
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 13, 2005, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by hhlee
not to rain on your parade but if it were up to me, i wouldn't use the mac as a server:

the mac is quite slow in mysql and php services - choose to use linux instead or heaven forbid, windo......z
Hehe, the man is hosting it on a dynamic IP address and he's planning to update the DNS records manually when the IP address changes. I don't think speed is a great concern. I host my own site on my home Mac and it works fine for my needs...
Scott Genevish

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jul 13, 2005, 09:56 PM

Oh, please. That test is very questionable (is it testing OS X or the G5 chip or something else entirely?), and the Mac is still fast enough for most Web sites even if you take that page as scripture. Even if OS X and the G5 are both completely horrible compared to Linux and x86, you will most likely not run into a situation where it matters.
Chuck
___

hhlee
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 13, 2005, 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit
Oh, please. That test is very questionable (is it testing OS X or the G5 chip or something else entirely?), and the Mac is still fast enough for most Web sites even if you take that page as scripture. Even if OS X and the G5 are both completely horrible compared to Linux and x86, you will most likely not run into a situation where it matters.
this is entirely true. just thought i'd point it out - i guess if you decide to buy a rackmount server, you should choose something other than the xserve

genevish
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 14, 2005, 02:04 PM

this is entirely true. just thought i'd point it out - i guess if you decide to buy a rackmount server, you should choose something other than the xserve
This is getting somewhat off topic from the original post, but an Xserve may still be a great choice for a rack-mounted server. It just depends on what your needs are.

Some people say I should get a Windows PC because I can play more games, or some other reason, but I like the Mac as it does what I need and does it well. An Xserve has very nice UI and a complete set of tools at a relatively low price. If that fits your needs, then that's fine.
Scott Genevish

jersey
Senior User
Jul 14, 2005, 03:30 PM

i fried the hard drive.

seriously. it blows.

i was in the middle of unplugging the drive from the tower and, i have no idea how, but the wires came out of the power plug. while i was installing some things on the drive using a firewire case, i put the wires back in the plug. plugged in the drive and nothing. put it back in the fw case and nothing. looked to the wires, and had switched the 2 black ones. oops. oh well, it was only a 10 gig 5400......

new 160 gig 7200 will be here in the morning.

and hhlee, dont piss on my parade......it's been quite the week with this thing.
yeah i know there are better out there, but i just want something simple.

westrock  (op)
Jul 16, 2005, 03:07 AM

Don't worry I still can't get mine to work. Its almost like the Linksys isn't forwarding or something, but I don't know. I have no real knowledge of how to test it.

jersey
Senior User
Jul 18, 2005, 11:53 AM

so .......
i got my new drive in and server set up, got the port forwarding done on the router and no go. then i find out cablevison has blocked port 80. so i go back in and change everything to 81.

opened 81 on osx firewall and on router.
my dns is http://67.85.182.81:81 (the :81 does specify port 81, no?)
virtual host config file has a listen_81

<VirtualHost _default_:81>
SeverNamegone
DocumentRoot /Library/WebServer/Documents/josh
ServerAlias gone
</VirtualHost>

before i got a not able to connect message, now i get a 502, which i guess is a start.
more specifically:

Bad Gateway
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.
Apache/2.0.52 (Gentoo/Linux) mod_ssl/2.0.52 OpenSSL/0.9.7d PHP/4.3.10 Server at domains.omnis.com Port 80

any suggestions on how to fix this? all i can find are explanations, no solutions

-j
( Last edited by jersey; Jun 23, 2010 at 03:00 PM. )

jersey
Senior User
Jul 18, 2005, 01:51 PM

so it looks like i got it to show up in the outside world (which is good), but i can get the name hosting right.

gone and gone both point to the same doc folder. but the virtual servers both have the correct paths in them. hmm.....
( Last edited by jersey; Jun 23, 2010 at 03:00 PM. )

genevish
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 18, 2005, 06:41 PM

Did you do the NameVirtualHost directive?
Scott Genevish

jersey
Senior User
Jul 18, 2005, 09:21 PM

heres my current set up via config:

Edit: gone

i cant find anytihng wrong....
i have even switched from servername to serveralias and nothiung really changes.

suggestions?

thanks,

-j
( Last edited by jersey; Jul 27, 2005 at 04:55 PM. )

genevish
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 19, 2005, 06:41 PM

You're listening on port 81, yes?
Code:
Listen 81
Try <VirtualHost *:81> for each of the VirtualHost blocks.

I'm also a little iffy still on your DNS settings, though it may be fine (I'm no expert). Look at mine compared to yours.
Scott Genevish

jersey
Senior User
Jul 20, 2005, 03:49 PM

yeah, i've used listen, namevirtualhost......and any combination ot the 2.

i dont think dns is the issue and both addresses are arriving as told to do. the problem is with apache not recognizing the names.

which ever one is on top in the virtual server list, is displayed for both addresses. i have gone over and over the apache documentation, and see where it talks about the 1st serving as default if things dont match.

but everything is the same in my virtual set ups except for the servernames and documentroot.

i did get it working locally yesterday, and copied the set up via the config file. when i tried to move to port 81 things got screwy again, so i copied my original config set up that was working, and it wouldn’t work.

i am beginning to think it's like dreamweaver or golive----even if you delete something, it still may (or probably) leaves a bit of code behind which just f's things up down the road. so again today, i did another fresh instal of panther, that makes #...........9 in about 13 days.awesome.

but hey.....at least i'm learning a lot.

genevish
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 20, 2005, 09:57 PM

Well, I'm sure you don't need to reinstall Panther. You are reloading the Apache config file after making changes, yes? (Stopping and starting Personal Web Sharing from the Sharing Preference pane is the easy way).
Scott Genevish

ppmax
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 20, 2005, 11:05 PM

Jersey--post your /etc/httpd/httpd.conf file and Ill check it out....

jersey
Senior User
Jul 21, 2005, 12:19 AM

ppmax,

Thanks, this is all i have left as i have done a reinstall, for my own sanity if nothing else.

Listen 81
NameVirtualHost

<VirtualHost 192.168.0.101:*>
DocumentRoot /Library/WebServer/Documents/tiff
ServerName gone
<Directory "/Library/WebServer/Documents/tiff"
allow from all
Options +Indexes
</Directory>
</VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost 192.168.0.101:*>
DocumentRoot /Library/WebServer/Documents/josh
ServerName gone
<Directory "/Library/WebServer/Documents/josh"
allow from all
Options +Indexes
</Directory>
</VirtualHost>

Tonight I changed the dns on my domain to use proxy www and @ addressees to point at:

gone

just to see if i can get the thing to run off user accounts, but I'm not sure if this will work, if you have any thoughts on this, that would be great.
( Last edited by jersey; Jun 23, 2010 at 03:01 PM. )

ppmax
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 21, 2005, 01:25 AM

Questions:
Are you restarting Apache after every change you make to the httpd.conf file?
Are you sure port 80 is blocked by your ISP?
Have you checked the syntax of you httpd.conf file? After you edit the file drop to the terminal and run:
sudo apachectl configtest

Anyways, looks like you've got some errors in your httpd.conf file. Try this:

Code:
NameVirtualHost * Listen 81 <VirtualHost *:81> DocumentRoot /Library/WebServer/Documents/tiff ServerName www.tiffanycalvert.com <Directory "/Library/WebServer/Documents/tiff" allow from all Options +Indexes </Directory> </VirtualHost> <VirtualHost *:81> DocumentRoot /Library/WebServer/Documents/josh ServerName www.joshazzarella.com <Directory "/Library/WebServer/Documents/josh" allow from all Options +Indexes </Directory> </VirtualHost>
Let me know how it works.
( Last edited by ppmax; Jul 21, 2005 at 01:41 AM. )

jersey
Senior User
Jul 21, 2005, 10:10 AM

ppmax,

I am on cablevision, they block 25 and 80.

Copied and pasted the syntax you posted, ran config test (it wanted ">" on the directory, no big deal) restarted, which I have been doing.

But still the problem persists. Not sure which way to go............ do you want the entire httpd.config file

-j

ppmax
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 21, 2005, 12:24 PM

I just checked tiffanycalvert.com and joshazzarella.com and they work...so what's the problem?

The only thing I see is that both domains point to the same content.

jersey
Senior User
Jul 21, 2005, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by ppmax
I just checked gone and they work...so what's the problem?

The only thing I see is that both domains point to the same content.
exactly....i can get them both to work, but they both show the same content, thats the issue. the top server continues to take precedence...however the documentroot is correct on both.

/Users/josh/Sites
/Users/tiff/Sites

but /Users/josh/Sites shows for both domains.

suggestions?
( Last edited by jersey; Jun 23, 2010 at 03:01 PM. )

genevish
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 21, 2005, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by jersey
exactly....i can get them both to work, but they both show the same content, thats the issue. the top server continues to take precedence...however the documentroot is correct on both.

/Users/josh/Sites
/Users/tiff/Sites

but /Users/josh/Sites shows for both domains.

suggestions?
In your config, your putting the content at /Library/WebServer/Documents/tiff, yet above you say it's at /Users/tiff/Sites. Which is it? And Josh is showing as the content, which is the bottom site, not the top site listed in the config. Just trying to nail down the exact issue...
Scott Genevish

jersey
Senior User
Jul 21, 2005, 03:44 PM

Whats posted above is not my current config file...

I noticed that too, so I made sure both documentroot and directory match.

However I have noticed that the default server seemingly can not be from changed "/Library/WebServer/Documents".

I have to teach here in a few minutes(dont worry,photoshop not apache or anything like it),
and I'll post my config file tonight after I get home. That 10:30 here in the east

Forum Links
Forum Rules