Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > E3 2004! [Warning: May contain Pictures]

E3 2004! [Warning: May contain Pictures] (Page 8)
Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
May 12, 2004, 08:34 AM

Originally posted by starman:
Look at those dualscreenies and tell me that there's anything you see that couldn't be done with one screen, or pressing a button (eg: map).

I'll wait.....

Mike
here's an idea..... metroid prime. u get an arsenal of weapons, right ? wouldnt it be cool if you could select the one you want/ change it, but tpping the gub on the second screen with ur finger ? istead of using a button. Or in the DS case, you could probably just 'say' it and samus would change weapons.

Or how about like in the windwaker...i found it a little frustrating having to go into the inventory everytime , since i only had 3 customizable buttons to work with (so i had to kepp changing the items)...wouldnt it be cool if you could hold down the button, and tap on the item you want associated with that button once...and voila.dont even have to switch screen and suspend the game.

Or while playing wirelessley, the bottom monitor shows ur 'network' status (distance from the other player, and number of players around, etc...so it warns you if your battery is low or the wireless signal is dying.

You could even have an entirely different controller layout if some game developers chose to use teh second screen primarily as an input device.

i wonder if this thing will have any storage on it...so while your racing your buddy from next door, you could have a little music app rnning on the buttom screen playing your favorite 'fast-driving' music.

Two scrrens in a single player setting has fewer possibilities than when you have wireless multiplayer action happening.

You wour immagination for a change...think of the DS as a design pallet for UIs...touch and voice, as well as a secondary output device. brek away fro mthe norm...explore !!! quit taking the same ol **** these ol farts from Microsoft and Sony dish out to you.

Cheers.

starman
Clinically Insane
May 12, 2004, 08:54 AM

Or how about...since I never needed that BEFORE, I don't need it NOW?

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
May 12, 2004, 09:47 AM

Man this thread is full of whiners. Neither the NDS or the PSP excite me that much. I own both a PS2 and a GameCube. Zelda looks good, but with that crappy music and same old "yah"-SFX? Meh. Metroid Prime 2 looks More Of The Same� (not nescessarily a bad thing).

Am I weird for not taking sides here? It seems that one is either a Sony-zealot (likes violent games, racing games) or a Nintendo-zealot (likes "childish"-games, multi-player). Well, I like both in equal respect. Lately I've been playing mostly on my GameCube, because that's where all the good multi-player games have been.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Michel_80
Dedicated MacNNer
May 12, 2004, 09:51 AM

Had a GBA SP with every single game for it and hated the thing. Looked too cheap, much prefer something with more class. Hopefully the PSP will be okay and doesn't suffer with the many potential problems.

mishap
Mac Elite
May 12, 2004, 09:57 AM

Originally posted by Michel_80:
Had a GBA SP with every single game for it and hated the thing. Looked too cheap, much prefer something with more class. Hopefully the PSP will be okay and doesn't suffer with the many potential problems.
Hmm... i've never had a problem.

Still after all these announcements...nothing beats the size... and i dont think others will beat it because portables are meant for quick games.

Soon people will want a PS2 adapter to play their PSP games on TV.

Michel_80
Dedicated MacNNer
May 12, 2004, 10:06 AM

I am over the age of 16 and the PlayStation appeals more to me. Plus it would nice if you could have 2gb of mp3's with you. Don't need just a game console. Better if it could do some basic PDA functions/mp3/mpeg.
So the Gameboy is definately out of the question. Could not justify buying a thing just for games. To each his own I guess.

fireside
Professional Poster
May 12, 2004, 12:30 PM

Or how about...since I never needed that BEFORE, I don't need it NOW?

Mike
thats a dumb way to look at things. you don't need the DS or PSP or whatever, its just adding a new variable into the equation. i think it will turn out really cool.

starman
Clinically Insane
May 12, 2004, 12:37 PM

Originally posted by fireside:
thats a dumb way to look at things. you don't need the DS or PSP or whatever, its just adding a new variable into the equation. i think it will turn out really cool.
Why is it dumb? I saw the screens, I don't need it.

When I went to buy my car last month the guy said "do you want XM?" No. I don't need it. Never needed it before, don't need it now. Don't miss it. I have my iPod. Do I want the DVD navigation system? Nope.

How is this any different?

Again, whatever Nintendo wanted to accomplish, they could have with a wider screen and better design. Now I have to pay for not one, but two screens?

And as for whether or not I need the DS or PSP is a whole different argument. Don't even try comparing wanting a unit to what the unit has to offer. If that were the case, we could argue that nobody needs a car.

Mike

Millennium
Clinically Insane
May 12, 2004, 01:17 PM

Originally posted by itai195:
The system was more expensive, N64 was the cheapest all along. Cartridges cost a bit more, but not that much. PSX won for several reasons, but mainly because Sony had a much stronger game library than its competition. I'd say cartridges hurt Nintendo more because of the storage limitation than because of the cost, but certainly both were problems.
The PSX won for a simple reason: Final Fantasy VII.

No, really. That one game turned the whole tide. Although the storage limitations of cartridges would eventually hurt Nintendo, that actually didn't happen for quite some time (FUN FACT: Were it not for the FMVs and the two CD-audio soundtracks, FFVII could actually have fit on a single n64 cartridge! All of the game code, maps, music, etc. are actually present on all three discs; only the FMVs differ).
BTW, SNES vs Genesis? That was pretty much a dead heat, and in North America I recall Sega ending up with the higher numbers.
It was that way for a long time, but eventually the SNES won out. It took them years to catch up, though.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Nebagakid
Mac Elite
May 12, 2004, 01:23 PM

Genesis was good. Saturn and Dreamcast were to ambitious too early.

N64 was good. GameCube has the best controller out there now. XBox's controller suxxxxxxxxxxors !!!1111

What is that BIG SEGA ANNOUNCEMENT?

Where is Mario 128?

I want more scrennies of the new Zelda game/

I think the most exciting thing so far is the new Zelda game.

How is that for short comments?

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
May 12, 2004, 01:32 PM

Again, whatever Nintendo wanted to accomplish, they could have with a wider screen and better design.
During the Nintendo Conference, he mentioned that the design is not final and will likely be changed before it's ready this year. I doubt they will make the screen more wider though as specs is already finalized.

I guess that is a good thing as I don't really like the current design. With their talents and resources, they could have come up with something as good if not better as GBA SP.

--------------

Some more tidbits on Nintendo:

� The New Zelda game is based on a modified TWW engine. All of the innovative gameplays and fighting system from TWW will be in new Zelda.

� The director of Zelda will NOT be Shiggy Miyamoto or Eiji Aomuma (M'sM & TWW). They will be the producers and the director will be someone new (name still super-secret for some reason)

� TWW 2 is not coming and never will be. TWW was a major disappointment in salewise and fanwise. Considered as one of the worst in Zelda series to most Nintendo staffs.
( Last edited by Adam Betts; May 12, 2004 at 01:44 PM. )

djohnson
Professional Poster
May 12, 2004, 01:33 PM

Originally posted by Nebagakid:
...GameCube has the best controller out there now. XBox's controller suxxxxxxxxxxors !!!1111
Finally someone agrees with me! The xbox controller is horrible. Wavebird all the way!

starman
Clinically Insane
May 12, 2004, 01:34 PM

TWW grew on me, but it never reached the fanboy-o-meter with me as much as OoT did.

Mike

Millennium
Clinically Insane
May 12, 2004, 01:43 PM

TWW grew on me, but it never reached the fanboy-o-meter with me as much as OoT did.
True, but then, OoT was a game like FFVII; almost "too special", if that makes any sense. As with FFVII, it was a very important game, in that it set the tone for things to come in its genre (action-adventure for OoT, RPGs for FFVII).

A game which can do that has got to be something amazing. TWW was a charming game in its own right, and it's done good things for non-photorealistic graphics (despite the cries of 'kiddie' by the terminally-insecure), but it was no OoT, and frankly there's no shame in that. A game like OoT doesn't come around often.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
May 12, 2004, 01:48 PM

Originally posted by Adam Betts:
� I guess that is a good thing as I don't really like the current design. With their talents and resources, they could have come up with something as good if not better as GBA SP.
i agree, the design is not all that great. at first i did not like the sp design, but after my friend bought me one. hopefully nintendo will come up with something _sexier_.

adam, question. are you at e3? or where do you keep getting all this info and those movies? (which i did not get to see )

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
May 12, 2004, 01:49 PM

Sega Conference is going on right now...

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
May 12, 2004, 01:51 PM

Originally posted by mdc:
adam, question. are you at e3? or where do you keep getting all this info and those movies? (which i did not get to see )
Nope, I'm not at E3, but I do have Insider member at IGN and have several friends at E3 right now.

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
May 12, 2004, 01:55 PM

MGS on PSP:

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
May 12, 2004, 01:56 PM

that looks insane

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
May 12, 2004, 02:02 PM

Conkers looks fun as all hell. Amazing graphics also. It is great that they took the old game, remade it with better graphics. I would have liked an all new game but oh well.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Nebagakid
Mac Elite
May 12, 2004, 02:47 PM

what is going with the Sega right now?

Come on into iChat/AIM chatroom e3

mishap
Mac Elite
May 12, 2004, 03:27 PM

Originally posted by Nebagakid:
what is going with the Sega right now?

Come on into iChat/AIM chatroom e3
yeah any news links yet?

Camali
Mac Enthusiast
May 12, 2004, 03:35 PM

So is Halo 2 an XBox exclusive or PC and Mac as well?

MindFad
Posting Junkie
May 12, 2004, 03:36 PM

Originally posted by Camali:
So is Halo 2 an XBox exclusive or PC and Mac as well?
Xbox only. Perhaps for the Mac and PC two to three years from now.

Nebagakid
Mac Elite
May 12, 2004, 04:10 PM

so, what about this exclusive IGN.com zelda preview at e3?

nforcer
Mac Elite
May 12, 2004, 04:22 PM

Originally posted by djohnson:
Finally someone agrees with me! The xbox controller is horrible. Wavebird all the way!
The regular Xbox controller is oversized and crappy for most. But the Controller-S is easy to handle and everything feels in place. After using it after using a GC controller for over a year, I find it hard to return to the cheap GC controller that is so little, and features needed for certain games like FPSs (dual clickable analog sticks, because the c-stick doesn't really count).

Link
Professional Poster
May 12, 2004, 04:30 PM

Originally posted by Jim Paradise:
...and I'm not sure about anyone else who owns a GameCube, but most people who see the discs I have for it happen to think that they look pretty cool. "That's the disc?! Damn that's cool." *shrugs*
They are cool.. and I like them that way. IMHO home appliances, and toys don't mix that well... it's like trying to merge a computer and a TV.
Aloha

Link
Professional Poster
May 12, 2004, 04:32 PM

Originally posted by nforcer:
The regular Xbox controller is oversized and crappy for most. But the Controller-S is easy to handle and everything feels in place. After using it after using a GC controller for over a year, I find it hard to return to the cheap GC controller that is so little, and features needed for certain games like FPSs (dual clickable analog sticks, because the c-stick doesn't really count).
This has been a popular quote... IMHO the "Controller-S" is every bit as poorly thought out as the "Controller......T" *smirk* it's not that it's too big but the position of the buttons is just stupid. The black and white buttons are in such a way that I find myself accidentally hitting them in games and the triggers are so far back that I have to reach back in an awkward way to get to them. *grumble*...
Aloha

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
May 12, 2004, 04:40 PM

No "BIG" announcement from SEGA yet

Things announced so far are:

Phantasy Star Universe.
Amazing Island
Matrix Online

All I could find about SEGA conference is this mystery box:

Seems like SDC stands out for Sega Dreamcast. No idea why the hell it's there.
( Last edited by Adam Betts; May 12, 2004 at 04:51 PM. )

Link
Professional Poster
May 12, 2004, 04:42 PM

It's fake.. nice job though
Aloha

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
May 12, 2004, 04:46 PM

Originally posted by Link:
It's fake.. nice job though
Who said it's fake?

http://www.egchina.com/gamenews/game...505/015035.asp

fireside
Professional Poster
May 12, 2004, 04:53 PM

Originally posted by nforcer:
its not the controller size. its the button placement thats f@cked up.

Link
Professional Poster
May 12, 2004, 04:58 PM

looks like sega's big announcment was simply that they'll be co-producing the matrix online game...

Aloha

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
May 12, 2004, 05:09 PM

looks like sega's big announcment was simply that they'll be co-producing the matrix online game...
Yeah, seem like so

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
May 12, 2004, 05:15 PM

anyone seen the Half Life 2 E3 footage? (not the trailer)
WHOA!
we don't have time to stop for gas

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
May 12, 2004, 05:16 PM

Rumor: Mario 128 will be shown tomorrow and might be Cel-Shaded.

Just a comment from some of the people at E3 floor right now.

I don't believe it myself but if true, it would be more likely being shown behind closed door with NDA.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
May 12, 2004, 05:18 PM

I don't believe it myself but if true, it would be more likely being shown being closed door with NDA.

that would own!

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
May 12, 2004, 05:23 PM

http://www.hejog.net/hl2/
Half Life 2 footage

Nebagakid
Mac Elite
May 12, 2004, 05:45 PM

I don't believe it myself but if true, it would be more likely being shown behind closed door with NDA.
seems cool enough, but I don't understand why they would not just use the current Super Mario Sunshine Engine (sans the water shooter device thingie) and go with those graphics as well. They worked just fine, very nicely.

Scifience
Mac Elite
May 12, 2004, 05:52 PM

Anybody who has E3 Pics/Movies that they need hosted LET ME KNOW.

I have tons of bandwidth and will be glad to host them.

PM me or drop me an e-mail ([email protected]) for upload information!

starman
Clinically Insane
May 12, 2004, 06:23 PM

Hi-rez Advent Children trailer.

http://pb.exocrew.com/brass2themax/F...%20Trailer.zip

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR! Why can't I post the link properly?

Mike

fireside
Professional Poster
May 12, 2004, 06:30 PM

Hi-rez Advent Children trailer.

http://pb.exocrew.com/brass2themax/F...%20Trailer.zip

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR! Why can't I post the link properly?

Mike
because the retard who uploaded the file put spaces in the file name.

Jim Paradise
Mac Elite
May 12, 2004, 07:11 PM

They are cool.. and I like them that way. IMHO home appliances, and toys don't mix that well... it's like trying to merge a computer and a TV.
I agree, but one thing I happen to like about the GameCube is it looks a lot better than the other systems in a room beside said home appliances. I have one of the platinum GameCubes and I couldn't imagine a PS2 or a *shudder* XBox where it is (in terms of style). For a toy, it certainly has a bit of class and style.

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Location: Partying down with the Ewoks, after I nuked the Death Star!
May 12, 2004, 07:18 PM

Originally posted by Jim Paradise:
I agree, but one thing I happen to like about the GameCube is it looks a lot better than the other systems in a room beside said home appliances. I have one of the platinum GameCubes and I couldn't imagine a PS2 or a *shudder* XBox where it is (in terms of style). For a toy, it certainly has a bit of class and style.
I agree but the PS2 does look cool when you put it on that vertical stand.

"Hello, what have we here?

Jim Paradise
Mac Elite
May 12, 2004, 07:24 PM

Originally posted by Landos Mustache:
I agree but the PS2 does look cool when you put it on that vertical stand.
Yeah, it's not that bad, but still not as good as the Cube. At least vertically you can slip it beside the television. heh

starman
Clinically Insane
May 12, 2004, 09:00 PM

New sig. I'm so goddamn pumped.

Mike

One40 by Fourty
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 12, 2004, 09:07 PM

IGN: Will there be any link functionality between Metroid Prime 2 and the Nintendo DS Metroid Prime Hunters?

Kensuke Tanabe: No, there's no plan to have any connectivity between the DS and GameCube.

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
May 12, 2004, 09:13 PM

Originally posted by One40 by Fourty:
IGN: Will there be any link functionality between Metroid Prime 2 and the Nintendo DS Metroid Prime Hunters?

Kensuke Tanabe: No, there's no plan to have any connectivity between the DS and GameCube.
And your point is?

Link
Professional Poster
May 12, 2004, 09:17 PM

the Nintendo DS might have linking compatibilities with the next nintendo console...

But you'll need the PowerDS and the LinkDS oh and the cartridgeDS for both devices! O_o
Aloha

Nebagakid
Mac Elite
May 12, 2004, 09:25 PM

the Nintendo DS might have linking compatibilities with the next nintendo console...

But you'll need the PowerDS and the LinkDS oh and the cartridgeDS for both devices! O_o
actually, the Nintendo DS can run without a cartridge if it is linked with another DS. Therefore, if "Revolution" (the next generation's code name) has the Wi-Fi in it, they could do everything wirelessly and you buy a RevCD and you can get THREE SCREENS!

Forum Links
Forum Rules