Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Gas Prices: Drive More or Less?

Gas Prices: Drive More or Less?
Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 20, 2006, 09:58 AM

Is anyone here - in particular in the United States - letting the high price of a gallon of gas affect how and where and when they drive?

I drive a big car because I have a lot of rugrats to tote around (and animals) and I've always been conservative when driving the gas guzzler, so I can't really modify my driving habits because they're sparse. I work at home so I don't have to worry about paying for gas to get to and from an office.

What about anyone else here?

Agasthya
Professional Poster
Apr 20, 2006, 10:00 AM

Nope. I don't even look at the bill anymore. I have to drive to work so I have to pay whatever they charge. It is depressing.

Dork.
Professional Poster
Apr 20, 2006, 10:02 AM

I've been working at home at least once a week lately, and although my boss never had a problem with it I think he uses the price of gas as additional justification to his superiors.

The fact that my work-at-home days coincide with Met day games is a total coincidence.

But it's not just car travel that's affected. Have you seen airfares recently?

mindwaves
Apr 20, 2006, 10:04 AM

I drive a bit less nowadays. I usually drive a constant 70mph on the freeways and people still pass me. The cheapest gas at one of the cheapest gas places around here is $3.08 a gallon and that was 2 days ago.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 20, 2006, 10:41 AM

In all honesty?

I don't give a rat's arse what the gas prices are, so yeah, I drive just like I always do in my big, Earth-killing Titan V8.
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

BlueSky
Mac Elite
Apr 20, 2006, 10:47 AM

I got a tankful back in the good old days (last week) when gas was 2.90/gallon and it'll probably last me 4-6 months.

Sijmen
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 20, 2006, 11:06 AM

You've got nothing to complain about. In Holland 1 liter of fuel costs around 1,45 euro's.

Which makes: 1,45 * 3,8 = 5,51 per gallon.

Luckely, there's only room for about 4 gallons in the tank of my CBR, and I need to fill it up once every two weeks(with bad weather), so it ain't that expensive.

I don't know what I'll be doing this summer when the weather is really good and they charge me 1,70 a liter
Apple Powerbook 17" 1,67 GHz, 2 gig RAM, 100 gig HDD, ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 128MB, Superdrive 8X

Ham Sandwich
Apr 20, 2006, 12:15 PM

I moved to a more walkable city. Not because of gas prices but the end result is that I will be buying less gas. It will be nice not having to drive to run errands, go out to eat, grocery shop, etc.

Railroader
Banned
Apr 20, 2006, 12:26 PM

Same. How could someone drive less. Unless they simply drive around aimlessly I can't see how someone would reduce their driving habits.

You could car poll I guess. But if you already do that then there's really nothing less you can do.

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 20, 2006, 12:26 PM

screamingFit - But don't you have to pay to park your car someplace? That adds up too.

Tuoder
Mac Elite
Apr 20, 2006, 01:00 PM

I walk or get a ride everywhere but my job. My job is in Chicago, and I live in northwest Indiana. I carpool. When the schedule doesn't permit carpooling, I drive to the train station.

Dakar
Professional Poster
Apr 20, 2006, 01:50 PM

I'm still trying to figure out why its so high.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 20, 2006, 01:54 PM

The price of gas has definitely killed my desire to go joy riding in the middle of the night when I get bored. On the plus side, it has me walking and riding my bike whenever I get bored.

I filled up my 18 gallon tank three days ago and it cost $45. Since then I've only put 24 miles on the car and it's all been getting back and forth to work.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

BlueSky
Mac Elite
Apr 20, 2006, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar
Don't be so selfish. If prices were any lower, Exxon chairman Lee Raymond would have to settle for a pathetic $300 million retirement rather than the $400 million he just received.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 20, 2006, 02:01 PM

I have to get to work 5 times a week and I have* to drive, therefore it doesn't matter what the petrol prices are, I'll pay them. I'm not too eager about paying $2.90 per gallon, but if i want to drive my car there isn't anything I can do.

* Technically I don't have to drive. I could ride the bus or something, but the amount of time it would take to get from my house to work in the morning on the bus system would cause me to have to wake up at about 6am, and sit on the bus for about an hour and a half to two hours. I refuse to do that since I have a car. I have a brand new car that I love to drive, so I will

Nexus5
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 20, 2006, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by RAILhead
In all honesty?

I don't give a rat's arse what the gas prices are, so yeah, I drive just like I always do in my big, Earth-killing Titan V8.
Its not the car killing our earth, its _you_ driving this fugly thing called "Titan V8".
"Titan V8", ha ha - this is ridiculous.

nexus5.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 20, 2006, 02:04 PM

OH NOES!!11 YOU GT TEH ME11!!!

Driving and buying gas are luxuries.
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

sek929
Posting Junkie
Apr 20, 2006, 02:06 PM

I have two cars right now (4.3l V6 in the Sonoma eats gas) so I take my old trusty Intrepid for the around the town tasks, and use my truck for work.

zmcgill
Apr 20, 2006, 02:17 PM

My car should be okay on gas (2.5 V6) but with my stupid lead foot and mostly around town driving, I usually manage 15-20mpg. I've gotten 28 on the interstate with cruise at 70, but never any better, and usually below 20.

Dr Reducto
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 20, 2006, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by RAILhead

Driving and buying gas are luxuries.

Not for the vast majority of Americans. Without a car & gas, I can't go to college or have a job needed to pay for my college/food/shelter.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Apr 20, 2006, 02:44 PM

Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

Dakar
Professional Poster
Apr 20, 2006, 02:47 PM

As compared to two months ago.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Apr 20, 2006, 02:57 PM

Short version: Your economy is balancing with the rest of western civilisation's due to the influence of accelerating eastern economies.

Dakar
Professional Poster
Apr 20, 2006, 03:00 PM

Dude, I'm an art major. All I know about economics is you can Super Size for 99¢ more.

Velocity211
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 20, 2006, 03:03 PM

I still remember when the gas prices were 95¢. I drive a camry hybrid and only go about 15 miles a day tops.
iMac 24" | Core 2 Extreme 2.8GHz | 4GB RAM | 500GB HD
PowerBook G4 15" HR | 1.67GHz | 2GB RAM | 100GB HD
R.I.P 1995 Toyota Supra NA-T

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Apr 20, 2006, 03:11 PM

Bring on the high oil/gas prices!

I drive a hybrid but own oil stocks. I've made much more money on the stocks this year than I've lost from higher gas prices.

IFLY2HIGH
Senior User
Apr 20, 2006, 03:17 PM

I heard that one of their platform workers called in sick this week and that's what's raising the price.
- Eric

Dakar
Professional Poster
Apr 20, 2006, 03:17 PM

Ooooooohhhhhh

Ham Sandwich
Apr 20, 2006, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by Cody Dawg
screamingFit - But don't you have to pay to park your car someplace? That adds up too.
Nope, my driveway's free!

Well, I have to pay for the house but you know what I mean.

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 20, 2006, 08:44 PM

Oh.

I have to drive, period.

I wish this thread would go to the political lounge so that I could b^tch about Bush.

Andy8
Mac Elite
Apr 20, 2006, 09:09 PM

I live in a city where the high price of fuel (almost the most expensive in the world) combined with high car parking costs (both at home and work) - most people do not own a car at all - they take public transport. Thankfully we have one of the cheapest and efficient public transport systems in the world.

TailsToo
Mac Elite
Apr 20, 2006, 09:33 PM

Cost me $3.09 a gallon today for my Acura (most I ever paid in my life!) - $35 and the tank was 1/4 full. I have some driving to do next week, however, and I think it'll be even higher than today.

Oh, and yes, I plan my errands now so that I won't be driving as much. It stinks. It used to be fun to drive before I was no longer able to afford it.

andi*pandi
Apr 20, 2006, 09:39 PM

The only way I could change my driving habits would be to walk to work. Not totally undoable... 5 miles I guess... but I'm not that desperate yet. It also hasn't stopped occasional long family trips. But at $70 for a subaru to drive 360 miles to maine and back, airfare to other places is looking good. (two weeks to FL!)

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 20, 2006, 09:58 PM

Personally, I think the economy is going to collapse soon from it.

People will go out less such as shop less, dine out less, etc. Businesses will lose money and the economy will suffer. People will charge more on credit cards for gasoline...and will have less money to pay their credit card bills, monthly expenses, etc.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Apr 20, 2006, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by Andy8
I live in a city where the high price of fuel (almost the most expensive in the world)
Oh please. Not even close.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Apr 20, 2006, 10:14 PM

I've been expecting the US economy to collapse since about 1998. Testament to the fine job that W is doing that it hasn't.

jasonsRX7
Mac Elite
Apr 20, 2006, 10:17 PM

People will go out less such as shop less, dine out less, etc. Businesses will lose money and the economy will suffer. People will charge more on credit cards for gasoline...and will have less money to pay their credit card bills, monthly expenses, etc.
I work for a company that has a fleet of hundreds of vehicles. Obviously if our costs go up significantly, we'll have to recoup them somehow. I'm no economist, but I'd imagine that means passing the costs on to the customer. So now that $3.08 gallon of gas has made the cost of your food and everything else go up.

I'm not going to quit going where I need to go, but I do at least recognize that it sucks...

Andy8
Mac Elite
Apr 20, 2006, 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by Doofy
Oh please. Not even close.
1 litre in Hong Kong is on average $12 HKD = USD$1.55 per litre x 3.79 = USD$5.87 per gallon.

How does your local prices compare?

macroy
Mac Elite
Apr 20, 2006, 10:59 PM

sigh.... as always, I have that natural knack for great timing. I accepted a new job awhile back.. and started this week. Previous commute - 5 miles each way. New commute ..... 42 miles.

But I also bought a new house.. so that commute will be shortend by more than 1/2 when I move.... whenever the hell that is... Another wonderful job of timing. Average days on market for house in my neighborhood 9 months ago - 3 days. Now... > 30 days.

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 20, 2006, 11:02 PM

I'm discouraged by the prices; however, I'm taking a nice little weekend road-trip this weekend and am really looking forward to it.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Apr 20, 2006, 11:06 PM

1 litre in Hong Kong is on average $12 HKD = USD$1.55 per litre x 3.79 = USD$5.87 per gallon.
So, I'm reading this wrong then?

My local price is US $6.75

Andy8
Mac Elite
Apr 20, 2006, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by Doofy
So, I'm reading this wrong then?

My local price is US $6.75
That is before the wonderful fuel tax is added. But I really can not complain, most other taxes here are low or almost non-existent.
( Last edited by Andy8; Apr 20, 2006 at 11:32 PM. )

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 21, 2006, 01:31 AM

I have tried to work from home a bit more to reduce my driving, but around here you really just have to drive to get things done. We just bought a house and the commute should also save us some money on gas. My commute will be longer, but my car is more fuel efficient, and my wfie's commute will be shorter, with her car less fuel efficient and she also does a lot more driving to/from work. To be honest, I'm not sure whether it's high gas prices that I'm trying to avoid or if I've just become a penny pincher due to the cost of the house

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Apr 21, 2006, 04:33 AM

That is before the wonderful fuel tax is added.
Arh. That explains it. I stand corrected.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Apr 21, 2006, 11:42 PM

What's the matter with you guys ?

I'm gonna move 186 miles away from my work and commute. Gas is still far to cheap, if you ask me...

-t

Love Calm Quiet
Mac Elite
Apr 22, 2006, 01:17 AM

I've just allowed more time and cut my speed by 10-15 mph... and enjoyed the travel time between cities listening to music and doing my creative web planning in my head... making *the journey* half the pleasure.
TOMBSTONE: "He's trashed his last preferences"

Forum Links
Forum Rules