Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > iMovie ate 1.5 GB of disk space.

iMovie ate 1.5 GB of disk space.
chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 24, 2004, 07:38 PM

Was playing around with iMovie for the first time, and had five or six clips imported from the camera. I cropped a few clips, and deleted a couple of transitions, so there were some things in the project trash. When I got done goofing around, I noticed that my drive space had dwindled by about 1.5 gigs, so I quit the program, and deleted the whole project file. Problem is, after emptying the trash, fthe Finder still thinks I'm 1.5 gigs shy. the Finder and Disk Utility both see 60.9 GB free. iMovie sees 62.4 GB free. I've run fsck in single-user mode, no problems detected. I've run the daily, weekly, monthly chron scripts, and cleaned all the caches and re-started. Drive space is still missing.

I suppose my error was not emptying the iMovie trash from within iMovie, but where the hell IS the iMovie trash stored? There weren't any deleted clips in my user trash while I was making the movie. Anybody have any clues?

CV

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

Dex13
Mac Elite
Jun 24, 2004, 07:44 PM

by the "finder" not showing that the 1.5 gb has been trashed, do you mean the info below the hard drive?

Select the Hard Drive Info from the File Menu to see the true size of your hard drive �

chris v  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 24, 2004, 07:47 PM

I checked that. Finder window, Get Info and Disk Utility all show 60.9 GB, which is about 1.5 GB less than I had immediately before plugging in the camera. iMovie shows the correct available disk space at the bottom right.

DiskWarrior time, I guess.

CV

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 24, 2004, 08:35 PM

you could try searching for files created today larger than 10 MB

chris v  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 24, 2004, 08:49 PM

Okay, I don't get what Apple's up to here. I imported a picture into iMovie, then deleted it from the timeline, but didn't empty the iMovie trash, so iMovie shows 35.1 mb in its trash. Should be only one file.

When I search for files created today, there's nothing of the sort there. Where does iMovie hide its trash?!!?

CV

Dex13
Mac Elite
Jun 24, 2004, 10:19 PM

solution to your craziness: OMNIDISKSWEEPER

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Jun 25, 2004, 10:14 AM

Originally posted by Dex13:
solution to your craziness: OMNIDISKSWEEPER

downloading as you speak =P hehe
thanks

chris v  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 25, 2004, 03:21 PM

No joy. I don't think the files still exist, but it's obvious that something with the file structure got broken. iMovie sees more open drive space than the Finder, still, after a DiskWarior run, as well. Is'pose if I get desperate enough for my 1.5 gig back, I'll have to re-format.

Lesson: Don't delete iMovie projects that have a lot of data in the iMovie trash.

CV

ambush
Banned
Jun 26, 2004, 11:44 PM

what kind of ****ing bug is that?

wtf. so your 1.5 is *gone* ??

MacNNUK
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 18, 2008, 05:43 AM

I had similar problem with iMovie 08

Didn't need to do any of the hidden files finding.

Just used iEmpty ....... "Superempty"

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/mo...110&vid=142420

Worked a treat, and gave me back 10gb.

iMac Intel Core i5, 2.5GHz, 4GB RAM, 500GB 21.5" Monitor 10.8.3.
iMac 17" 2.0ghz Intel Core 2 Duo w 3gb memory (White one) 10.6.8.
Internal 500gb / 8x external HDD's 250GB - 3TB (4x Time Machine)

Forum Links
Forum Rules