Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > USB 2.0 Burner in USB 1.0 Port

USB 2.0 Burner in USB 1.0 Port
spitty27
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 12, 2003, 11:50 PM

Hi,

My employer wanted to reward me for all my summer work at school, and she has purchased for me a USB 2.0 external burner. I am HOPING that it will run off my USB 1.1 port on my PowerBook G3 Pismo. I know USB 2.0 is backwards compatible, but do you think they made it so the plug is also backwards compatible, meaning, I would be able to plug the USB 2.0 cord into my computer (I know it will fit), but the question is if toast or my computer will be able to recognize the drive. If it works, I would be really happy. But it probably wont burn as fast as it would if it were plugged into a USB 2.0 port. The burner is 48x cd-r, do you know how fast it would go through USB 1.1?

any help much appreciated

p.s. im picking up the burner tomorrow, so i'll let you know how it goes.

EDIT: is there a USB 2.0 to FW 400 converter?
( Last edited by spitty27; Aug 13, 2003 at 07:58 PM. )
| MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo | 4GB Memory | 8x DL Superdrive | NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT graphics with 256MB SDRAM | 160GB Internal running Leopard 10.5.6 | 500GB External | AirportExtreme + Bluetooth 2.0 | Logitech MxRevolution | Casio Exilim EX z75 | iPhone 3G Black |

thePurpleGiant
Mac Elite
Aug 13, 2003, 12:15 AM

Most USB2 Burners will sense whether you are using it on USB 1 or 2, and adjust the speed accordingly. If not, you can manually do it in toast.

As far as I'm aware, the fastest speed you will be able to burn a cd will be at 4 speed (I think). No higher than 8, I can guarantee you that.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Aug 13, 2003, 12:43 AM

USB 2 uses all the same plugs as USB 1.1.

You'll only get 4x burning, though, using USB 1.1.

I suggest you sell the USB burner and buy a FireWire one.

You could buy a USB 2 PC Card if you use OS X (OS 9 does not support USB 2 high speed -- it'll just work as a USB 1.1 card). But that's a PITA solution.

tooki

spitty27  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 13, 2003, 12:54 AM

ahh ill hold off on spending more money this summer.....4 is fine for the rareness i burn. when my g5 comes even tho ittle have a superdrive......eh..... o well...thanks for the info though.
| MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo | 4GB Memory | 8x DL Superdrive | NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT graphics with 256MB SDRAM | 160GB Internal running Leopard 10.5.6 | 500GB External | AirportExtreme + Bluetooth 2.0 | Logitech MxRevolution | Casio Exilim EX z75 | iPhone 3G Black |

spitty27  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 13, 2003, 08:02 PM

USB 2 uses all the same plugs as USB 1.1.

You'll only get 4x burning, though, using USB 1.1.

I suggest you sell the USB burner and buy a FireWire one.

You could buy a USB 2 PC Card if you use OS X (OS 9 does not support USB 2 high speed -- it'll just work as a USB 1.1 card). But that's a PITA solution.

tooki
how fast will that turn out to be? im running a pismo

also, i got the burner today, itunes didnt recognize it, but when i hooked it up to my sister's ibook because shes running jaguar and toast works fine, it recognized the burner and its all good.

CIA
Mac Elite
Aug 13, 2003, 09:53 PM

When your G5 comes it will have native USB2 ports on it. So you could use it as an external CD-ROM/Burner. Handy for making copies of discs....

spitty27  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 24, 2003, 04:21 PM

hey im burning 7b44, and toast picked it up on 24x!???????? im plugged into the ibook (500mhz) pretty sure usb 1.1........but i did check speed feature, and it was going fine. right now im selected on 24x and it said 3 minutes counting, but the seconds are going down REALLY slow...like every 5 seconds it goes down 1.....any ideas?

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Aug 24, 2003, 05:00 PM

The burner's buffer underrun protection is kicking in, which just slows down the burning speed. 4x burning takes roughly 15 minutes to burn a reasonably full disc -- approximately the 5 seconds per second that Toast is displaying.

Just select 4x burning and you'll get an accurate time display.

The Check speed function is just to check whether the computer is fast enough to feed data to the drive -- not whether the connection from the computer to the drive is fast enough (that's what simulation mode is for).

tooki

Forum Links
Forum Rules