Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > harddrive owned by root

harddrive owned by root
spitty27
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 27, 2002, 02:35 PM

hi all,
i downloaded supergetinfo because i couldnt edit my applications folder and i had done so the day before. i switched it to be owned by me and not root. now, my hard drive is still owned by root and i cant do anything to it. whnever i open it, folders are hiding behind other folders, and i cannot create or deleter anything inside. this is very annoying. also, print center has trouble loading, and i have trouble printing from osx. i used to be able, i just dont know what happened. it works perfectly fine with os9 and airport. i do not directly connect in 9, but i used to connect directly in x. now, it does not work at all in x. please email me, or just reply to this message (prefferably email, but either way is ok)

to whomever answered me before...when i get info on my hard drive, it is all greyed out, then i click lock to make changes, type in pass, then it wont let me change anything. root can do everything. everyone under group "wheel" can do everything, and all other users can do all but write. what do i do? it wont let me change anything, and how do i make it instead of root do evrything, my name? how do i change it? <font color = blue> </font>
| MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo | 4GB Memory | 8x DL Superdrive | NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT graphics with 256MB SDRAM | 160GB Internal running Leopard 10.5.6 | 500GB External | AirportExtreme + Bluetooth 2.0 | Logitech MxRevolution | Casio Exilim EX z75 | iPhone 3G Black |

Subzero Diesel949
Jan 27, 2002, 04:09 PM

Hemingray
Forum Regular
Jan 27, 2002, 06:20 PM

I recommend X-Ray. You can find it at VersionTracker. It fixed my root problems. You can set the permissions of anything and have it copy the permissions to every file and folder within.

Liquidity X
Mac Elite
Jan 27, 2002, 06:24 PM

batchmod is a cool app also. does the same things.

spitty27  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 28, 2002, 10:12 PM

thanx, im gonna go try both now
| MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo | 4GB Memory | 8x DL Superdrive | NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT graphics with 256MB SDRAM | 160GB Internal running Leopard 10.5.6 | 500GB External | AirportExtreme + Bluetooth 2.0 | Logitech MxRevolution | Casio Exilim EX z75 | iPhone 3G Black |

spitty27  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 28, 2002, 10:13 PM

see the thing is...i cant open disc copy...could you somehow make it sit and send to me at [email protected] as sit file, disc copy is messed up with root. thanx

rantweasel
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 29, 2002, 06:36 PM

Originally posted by spitty27:
<STRONG>hi all,
i downloaded supergetinfo because i couldnt edit my applications folder and i had done so the day before. i switched it to be owned by me and not root. now, my hard drive is still owned by root and i cant do anything to it.</STRONG>
You want the system hard drive to be owned by root. There are several users on an OS X machine who are there purely for the background processes, and it is best to leave them be (nobody, daemon, www, etc). If they own a file, it's not by mistake. If you need to make a change to something, and one of those users is the owner of the file, you can use sudo (from the terminal) or Pseudo (I think that's the app, anyway, from the gui) to temporarily use root privilidges to edit/rename/move the file. The same goes for your hard-drive. Leave it owned by root (at least until you know enough about the inner workings of why it is owned by root to argue why it should be owned by someone else), and use sudo/Pseudo to make the changes that you need to make.

Forum Links
Forum Rules