Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Yellow Exclamation Badge On Startup Of Every App

Yellow Exclamation Badge On Startup Of Every App
spitty27
Dedicated MacNNer
May 24, 2003, 11:25 PM

I recently backed up my Dock from 10.2.6 and used the hacked dock from 6C48 and now have minimize in place enabled. When I seem to open some applications, it gives me the yellow exclamation badge (like the icon I used for this thread). Do you think the 6C48 dock is giving me they yellow icon to warn me I have clashing dock with system? Do any of you think I need to switch back?
| MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo | 4GB Memory | 8x DL Superdrive | NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT graphics with 256MB SDRAM | 160GB Internal running Leopard 10.5.6 | 500GB External | AirportExtreme + Bluetooth 2.0 | Logitech MxRevolution | Casio Exilim EX z75 | iPhone 3G Black |

zachs
Mac Elite
May 24, 2003, 11:30 PM

The 6C48 Dock had a feature which displayed an alert badge on applications that weren't responding.

Unfortunatly, it's kinda buggy...for example, it'll show up on apps that take a little while to load, or are performing a long operation.

But it has nothing to do with compatibility.

spitty27  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 24, 2003, 11:33 PM

Well it seems to only go the first time I open an Apple software. Like, I opened Safari - yellow badge, and then I opened it again, nothign happened. When I restarted - I got it on the Finder - quit finder and relaunched - nothing. If it only happens once, then im staying with the dock. I dont want to lose minimize in place but its also kinda nice to see which applications are not responding. Even so, I'm sure there's a hack for this...anyone know of anything to get rid of the badges?
| MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo | 4GB Memory | 8x DL Superdrive | NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT graphics with 256MB SDRAM | 160GB Internal running Leopard 10.5.6 | 500GB External | AirportExtreme + Bluetooth 2.0 | Logitech MxRevolution | Casio Exilim EX z75 | iPhone 3G Black |

zachs
Mac Elite
May 24, 2003, 11:41 PM

/System/Library/CoreServices/Dock.app

Right-click and Show Package Contents, then navigate to:
/Contents/Resources

and delete the image named "AlertBadge" or something like that.

(You may need to login as root)

spitty27  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 24, 2003, 11:45 PM

would deleting the alertbadge give some problems? would the dock.app be looking for something that it cant find and just break down and crash (lol i duno...)

spitty27  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 24, 2003, 11:48 PM

BTW - [Person's Computer]/[ComputerName]/System/Library/CoreServices/Dock/Contents/Resources/hung.png

zachs
Mac Elite
May 24, 2003, 11:49 PM

would deleting the alertbadge give some problems? would the dock.app be looking for something that it cant find and just break down and crash (lol i duno...)
Nope.

I did the same thing when I had the 6C48 dock installed.

Go ahead.

spitty27  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 24, 2003, 11:51 PM

thanks - one more tho...

i guess it replaced my trash icon from snow.e2 and gave me the original one (but it kept the snow.e2 finder icon??) ill go ahead and re-run the icontainer

spitty27  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 25, 2003, 12:04 AM

gah!!! command clicking an app in the dock wont show it in the finder...it will only open it. and i lost the hide and hide others menus.

Phoenix1701
Senior User
May 25, 2003, 01:56 AM

And option-clicking on icons doesn't hide the app you came from either... that's why I switched back. Just wait for Unsanity.

mindwaves
May 25, 2003, 10:00 AM

Moving to the OS X forum.

Forum Links
Forum Rules