Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > The terror threat at home, often overlooked

The terror threat at home, often overlooked
moki
Ambrosia - el Presidente
Dec 30, 2003, 09:14 PM

Very odd that this hasn't been widely reported... there is also a New York Times article on here here but I don't have a NYT account, so I can't read the full article.

So why wasn't this covered by the justice department or the media in a widespread manner?

from: http://www.csmonitor.com/2003/1229/p02s01-usju.html

As the media focus on international terror, a Texan pleads guilty to possessing a weapon of mass destruction.

By Kris Axtman | Staff writer of The Christian Science Monitor

HOUSTON �It began as a misdelivered envelope and developed into the most extensive domestic terrorism investigation since the Oklahoma City bombing.

Last month, an east Texas man pleaded guilty to possession of a weapon of mass destruction. Inside the home and storage facilities of William Krar, investigators found a sodium-cyanide bomb capable of killing thousands, more than a hundred explosives, half a million rounds of ammunition, dozens of illegal weapons, and a mound of white-supremacist and antigovernment literature.

"Without question, it ranks at the very top of all domestic terrorist arrests in the past 20 years in terms of the lethality of the arsenal," says Daniel Levitas, author of "The Terrorist Next Door: The Militia Movement and the Radical Right."

But outside Tyler, Texas, the case is almost unknown. In the past nine months, there have been two government press releases and a handful of local stories, but no press conference and no coverage in the national newspapers.

Experts say the case highlights the increased cooperation and quicker response by US agencies since Sept. 11. But others say it points up just how political the terror war is. "There is no value for the Bush administration to highlighting domestic terrorism right now," says Robert Jensen, a journalism professor at the University of Texas in Austin. "But there are significant political benefits to highlighting foreign terrorists, especially when trying to whip up support for war."

Mr. Levitas goes even further: "The government has a severe case of tunnel vision when it comes to domestic terrorism. I have no doubt whatsoever that had Krar and his compatriots been Arab-Americans or linked to some violent Islamic fundamentalist group, we would have heard from John Ashcroft himself."

The case began in the fall of 2002 when a package bound for New Jersey was misdelivered to a New York address. The family inadvertently opened the package and found fake identification badges, including Department of Defense and United Nations IDs. The FBI eventually tracked the package back to Mr. Krar in Noonday, Texas.

The cache of weapons and bombs was found when the FBI served a search warrant in April of this year. Krar and his common-law wife, Judith Bruey, and the receiver of the package, New Jersey Militia member Edward Feltus, were arrested.

All three have pleaded guilty to separate counts and are awaiting sentencing.

Brit Featherston, the assistant US attorney in charge of the case, says it was Krar and Ms. Bruey's connections to white-supremacist groups that prompted further investigation. "Any little town has worse criminals on paper than these two. But because of their background, the red flags were flying all over the place - especially after Sept. 11," says Mr. Featherston, in the eastern district of Texas.

Before Sept. 11, he says, the case most likely would have been worked as a false-ID case and ended there. Instead, dozens of law-enforcement agencies were involved and hundreds of subpoenas were served. "This case was very high priority," says Featherston.

Still, investigators have been unable to answer questions such as: Where was the sodium-cyanide bomb destined? And were the weapons being prepared for a group or sold individually? Featherston says the investigation is ongoing and won't end until these questions are answered.

Experts say the case is important not only because of what it says about increased government cooperation, but also because it shows how serious a threat the country faces from within. "The lesson in the Krar case is that we have to always be concerned about domestic terrorism. It would be a terrible mistake to believe that terrorism always comes from outside," says Mark Potok at the Southern Poverty Law Center in Montgomery, Ala.

The fact is, the number of domestic terrorist acts in the past five years far outweighs the number of international acts, says Mark Pitcavage of the fact-finding department at the Anti-Defamation League. "We do have home-grown hate in the United States, people who are just as ill-disposed to the American government as any international terrorist group," he says.

Levitas estimates that there are approximately 25,000 right-wing extremist members and activists and some 250,000 sympathizers. The Southern Poverty Law Center counted 708 hate groups in 2002.

While Mr. Pitcavage was surprised the Krar case did not receive more attention, "It is a fact that a lot of stories involving domestic extremists get undercovered," he says. He points to a case he calls one of "the major terrorist plots of the 1990s" in which militia from around the country converged in central Texas allegedly to attack a military base. They were arrested at a campground near Fort Hood on the morning of July 4, 1997, with a large collection of weapons and explosives. "There was virtually no media coverage of that incident either," says Pitcavage.

Featherston speculates that the Krar case got little attention because the arrests were made just after the war began in Iraq. "Excuse me, a chemical weapon was found in the home state of George Bush," says Levitas. "I'm not saying the Justice Department deliberately decided to downplay the story because they thought it might be embarrassing to the US government if weapons of mass destruction were found in America before they were found in Iraq. But I am saying it was a mistake not to give this higher profile."

For his part, Krar has remained silent. He will most likely be sentenced sometime in February, and could receive up to life in prison. His attorney, Tonda Curry, says the US government has no reason to be afraid of him. "It looks a whole lot worse than it is. He had a lot of things that most people would never have any desire to have, but much of what he had was perfectly legal."
Andrew Welch / el Presidente / Ambrosia Software, Inc.

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 30, 2003, 09:18 PM

For future reference, NY Times account

Username: macnn
Password: macnn

As for the content of your post, well, to be totally honest, I didn't read it. I'll try to get to it later, I promise!

Nemo me impune lacesset

moki  (op)
Ambrosia - el Presidente
Dec 30, 2003, 09:22 PM

Originally posted by ThinkInsane:
For future reference, NY Times account

Username: macnn
Password: macnn
Yeah, I'm aware of that one -- but this is archived content, so I don't think that'll work for it. You have to purchase each article.

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 30, 2003, 09:29 PM

Actually, I just checked it, and it works like a charm. Give it a whirl...

Scratch that, I just checked it again, and now it tells me I have to buy it to read it. Must be you only get one free.
Nemo me impune lacesset

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 31, 2003, 12:48 AM

Originally posted by moki:
Very odd that this hasn't been widely reported...
So why wasn't this covered by the justice department or the media in a widespread manner?

from: http://www.csmonitor.com/2003/1229/p02s01-usju.html

As the media focus on international terror, a Texan pleads guilty to possessing a weapon of mass destruction.

By Kris Axtman | Staff writer of The Christian Science Monitor

HOUSTON �It began as a misdelivered envelope and developed into the most extensive domestic terrorism investigation since the Oklahoma City bombing.

Last month, an east Texas man pleaded guilty to possession of a weapon of mass destruction. Inside the home and storage facilities of William Krar, investigators found a sodium-cyanide bomb capable of killing thousands, more than a hundred explosives, half a million rounds of ammunition, dozens of illegal weapons, and a mound of white-supremacist and antigovernment literature.

SNIP
I saw this article yesterday myself. It is a REALLY scary tought that our homegrown terrorists (white supremacists, the Christian identity movement, and the various state militia movements) are not being as tracked as carefully as some guy hiding out in the mountains of Afghanistan half-way around the world.

And this guy had all his exposives kept in a self-serve storage unit. Can you imagine the king-hell-sized explosion if some poor schmuck in the unit next door dropped a match while lighting a smoke?

I think the journalism professor was spot-on in his assessment of the reasons why we haven't heard more about this: It does know one, least of all the White House, any good. There is no political gain that can be made from making these types of incidents public. The President would get vilified for not keeping tabs on our domestic terrorists while simultaneously getting vilified if he pulled back in our efforts on the War on Terror. Looks like we need some new acronyms to distinguish our bad guys from the foreign bad guys.

How about WOOT for domestic terrorists (War on Our Own Terrorists) and WEET for international terrorists (War on Everybody Else's Terrorists)?
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

moki  (op)
Ambrosia - el Presidente
Dec 31, 2003, 12:53 AM

Originally posted by dcmacdaddy:
And this guy had all his exposives kept in a self-serve storage unit. Can you imagine the king-hell-sized explosion if some poor schmuck in the unit next door dropped a match while lighting a smoke?
My real question is: how powerful is a sodium-cyanide bomb? I know cyanide is a poison, but wouldn't it be diluted to the point where it would do nothing make people ill if it was detonated?

Ayelbourne
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 31, 2003, 08:43 AM

Answered in the article:

"There is no value for the Bush administration to highlighting domestic terrorism right now," says Robert Jensen, a journalism professor at the University of Texas in Austin. "But there are significant political benefits to highlighting foreign terrorists, especially when trying to whip up support for war."

As to your "real question", I honestly don't know. I remember reading a while back that some synthetic hotel linens could give off cyanide gas when they burned - a big problem in large hotel fires... maybe I'm remembering that wrong.

Time for me to do some reading up on sodium-cyanide characteristics - oh, wait - perhaps not. I wouldn't want to be blacklisted by being logged when accessing such things on the 'net. I guess I can just go to the library or a bookstore... oh, wait...

theolein
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 31, 2003, 09:10 AM

My real question is: how powerful is a sodium-cyanide bomb? I know cyanide is a poison, but wouldn't it be diluted to the point where it would do nothing make people ill if it was detonated?
From the CDC website:
Not combustible but forms flammable gas on contact with water or damp air. Gives off irritating or toxic gases (hydrogen cyanide and oxides of nitrogen) in a fire.
And Hydrogen Cyanide (The byproduct in a fire) is, according to the same site:
Hydrogen cyanide, under the name Zyklon B, was used as a genocidal agent by the Germans in World War II.

Reports have indicated that during the Iran-Iraq War in the 1980s, hydrogen cyanide gas may have been used along with other chemical agents against the inhabitants of the Kurdish city of Halabja in northern Iraq.
I have no idea how his bomb was meant to work, but I suppose he meant to either burn it with some kind of inceniary device (gasoline) or dump it in water which would also produce Hydrogen Cyanide (Like the US gas chamber).

On the other hand, Cyanide is used in huge amounts in industry (Gold extraction etc) and is probably not that hard to get.

What this does show, I think, is a point I made a long time ago, about how terrorists don't really need military biological or chemical weapons if they really want to make home made WMD.
weird wabbit

macvillage.net
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 2, 2004, 03:45 PM

Strange. Just a few months ago, I was told by an army of posters there's no such thing as Terrorism commited by Americans.

Forum Links
Forum Rules