Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > New eMac, still one weakness

New eMac, still one weakness
Krusty
Professional Poster
May 6, 2003, 05:28 PM

Darnit http://www.apple.com/emac/specs.html the graphics card still tops out at 75hz when displaying at 1152x870 or 1280x960 (though it can do 100+ hz on all lower resolutions). 75hz isn't bad but it is a little too low to be considered "flicker free". If they can drive 100hz at 1024x768 you'd think they could squeeze 85hz out at 1152x870 (my preferred rez for a 17" CRT).

[/mild b!tching]

Other than that, the updated eMacs look solid -- 1 ghz G4 for under 1K is a good deal. Plus the bump to 133mhz bus will probably result in > 25% speed boost than the 800 to 1000 mhz cpu boost would imply. If they've worked out the monitor and noise issues with this rev, the eMac will definitely be a fantastic "first mac" or upgrade for those of us still using old, 15" CRT iMacs. Now .. just have to wait a few weeks until Apple announces the "All machines bought after such-and-such date are eligible for a free upgrade to 10.3" and it'll be time to make a purchase

Jerman
Dedicated MacNNer
May 6, 2003, 06:00 PM

I really want one now myself. The only thing I am wondering about is this.. With a Radeon 7500, would it be possible to do the "iBook hack" for monitor spanning? If so, I am definitely buying one!

Krusty  (op)
Professional Poster
May 6, 2003, 06:20 PM

Originally posted by Jerman:
I really want one now myself. The only thing I am wondering about is this.. With a Radeon 7500, would it be possible to do the "iBook hack" for monitor spanning? If so, I am definitely buying one!
Good question ... I think the iBook's is the 7500 "mobility" 2x AGP ... which is different from what is in the new eMac (at the very least, the one in the eMac is a 4x AGP version thanks to the 133bus ... hooray !!). But, the hack does seem generic enough that it might work.

The new eMacs are showing "same day" shipping already at the Apple store ... so maybe someone will have one in their hands quite quickly and can give a definite answer.

Jerman
Dedicated MacNNer
May 6, 2003, 06:31 PM

I sure hope so.

gto47
Mac Enthusiast
May 8, 2003, 09:31 PM

The display is what limits the eMac's maximum resolution and refresh rates, not the video card. The Radeon 7500 is capable of running resolutions up to 2048x1536 (of course the eMac display can't match that). Refresh Rates are determined by the display itself. You're asking too much to have a professional grade CRT on an economical computer. Stop whining, that box is a steal at $799 as far as macs go.
( Last edited by gto47; May 8, 2003 at 09:42 PM. )
Mac Pro 8x2.8 | Macbook 2.13 | Saab Trionic 7 (thats right, runs on a 68k!)

mamamia
May 9, 2003, 09:38 AM

Originally posted by gto47:
Stop whining, that box is a steal at $799 as far as macs go.

he wasn't whining. he was mildly b!tching.
funky bitch

King Bob On The Cob
Mac Elite
May 10, 2003, 09:05 PM

Hm... I never thought of this, Is the Video Card for the eMac soddered onto the mobo like the old CRT iMacs? If not, I'll do whatever it takes to drop a Geforce 4 in there over my Geforce2MX.

emaccer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 22, 2003, 12:20 PM

Dual head mode for spanning and mirrroring works a treat on my new eMac (May 2003 model) 800MHz, with the standard ATi Radeon 32Mb video card.

Do it, its bl***y excellent.

Originally posted by Jerman:

bstieritz
May 22, 2003, 03:18 PM

If anyone is interested, I just bought a new emac 1ghz w/superdrive a few days ago (typing this message on it right now!!). It's great, nice display, good sound, fast processor . . . can't get much better at a thousand bucks. I even posted a complete first impression in the emac message board under the heading "My new emac 1ghz arrived today!!"

Go check it out. It's far from a technical review, but it'll give you an idea of what to expect if you decide to purchase the machine.

Hope the review helps.

DBursey
Professional Poster
May 23, 2003, 11:52 AM

... the eMac message board?

I thought we were here! Got a link please?

EDIT: Nevermind. The old 'type 1st, look later' routine has failed me yet again!

bstieritz
May 23, 2003, 12:55 PM

Originally posted by DBursey:
... the eMac message board?

I thought we were here! Got a link please?

EDIT: Nevermind. The old 'type 1st, look later' routine has failed me yet again!

Haha . . . happens to the best of us.

brian

Forum Links
Forum Rules