Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > The FIFA World Cup 2006

The FIFA World Cup 2006 (Page 11)
analogika
Posting Junkie
Jul 13, 2006, 08:31 AM

you've never been in a remotely comparable situation.

aberdeenwriter
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 13, 2006, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by analogika
you've never been in a remotely comparable situation.
You'd be surprised.
Consider these posts as my way of introducing you to yourself.

Proud "SMACKDOWN!!" and "Golden Troll" Award Winner.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jul 13, 2006, 08:42 AM

I'm sure.

Nobody cares.

Can this thread be about the World Cup again now?

Troll
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 13, 2006, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by aberdeenwriter
Well, we could create rules that prohibit insulting other players but, aside from how to enforce that rule...(pause for you to think about that)...think about all the other wonderful rules that could be created to create order in our lives.
Why have any rules at all? Come on, you're being a nutter now. For games to be worth anything at all, there need to be rules. As players find unfair ways to win, the rules need to get more complex.

What's so hard about enforcing rules against racism. If the ref or linesman hears a racist taunt or if the video picks it up afterwards, you get banned for a few games. Simple. They already have this in place so I don't know why it's such a mind-fark for you. If Materazzi made a racist comment, that would already be in contravention of the rules.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Jul 13, 2006, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by von Wrangell
They just need to watch the game again with a lip reader (there are professional ones out there).

If they find out what he said and if it fits to what other lip readers have said Materazzi will be in deep......
Oh I'm sure it is technically possible. After all the NFL has mastered the practice of lip-reading a long time ago and the World Cup master tapers are in HD.

Since it is a question of precedence, it is not going to happen though.

In fact, I'm willing to bet you €€s that Marco will not be accused or convicted of any foul play through lip-reading.

V
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

von Wrangell
Professional Poster
Jul 13, 2006, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by voodoo
Oh I'm sure it is technically possible. After all the NFL has mastered the practice of lip-reading a long time ago and the World Cup master tapers are in HD.

In fact, I'm willing to bet you €€s that Marco will not be accused or convicted of any foul play through lip-reading.

V
Betting I can't do as you well know.

But I'm pretty sure we'll see some kind of action taken against Materazzi. If not now, then the next time he'll be in trouble.

To those against whom war is made, permission is given (to fight), because they are wronged;- and verily, Allah is most powerful for their aid

Troll
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 13, 2006, 09:33 AM

All they have to do is ask Materazzi what he DID say, ask Zidane what Materazzi said and then compare that with the tapes. I can assure you, Materazzi has been thinking of every word that sounds like 'terroristici' since the lip-reading thing first came up.

I think the ultimate upshot of this WC will be video being introduced into reffing. This incident, the French goal against Korea and the various diving incidents have made this the only possible outcome.

Troll
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 13, 2006, 10:06 AM

FIFA have launched a disciplinary enquiry into Materazzi's behaviour. Both players have been summoned to appear before FIFA on 20 July. I thought this would happen.

http://www.news24.com/News24/Soccer/...967413,00.html

paul w
Mac Elite
Jul 13, 2006, 12:00 PM

By the way, here's to hoping Klinsmann coaches the US team!

Nicko
Professional Poster
Jul 13, 2006, 03:07 PM

V
Or they could just put a microphone on every player. Now that would be entertainment!

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 29, 2006, 10:49 AM

Oh no! Klinsmann is going to coach the US soccer team! That would be very embarrassing if the Americans would win against the German team in 2010.

American Dream: Klinsmann in Talks for US Soccer Job - International - SPIEGEL ONLINE - News
( Last edited by TETENAL; Oct 29, 2006 at 10:56 AM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules