Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > MacBook and Amazon.com... When?

MacBook and Amazon.com... When? (Page 2)
vandelay
May 26, 2006, 10:11 PM

Mine too.

alex_kac
Grizzled Veteran
May 27, 2006, 12:18 AM

Mine just shipped too (for my cousin).

DeathMan
Mac Elite
May 27, 2006, 12:35 AM

gah,

I need to learn patience I guess. I ordered from MacMall because the amazon wait list looked like it was way too long. I didn't expect to have to wait until the end of July, but still thought it would be well into June.

Ah well, I caved at MacMall and got the higher end model, too. So maybe its all for the best.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
May 27, 2006, 05:31 AM

You can't say I didn't warn you (earlier in the thread)

[email protected]  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 27, 2006, 09:36 AM

Ordered Black 5/23 from MacMall, after caving in and cancelling order with Amazon. Shipped today!

Good luck everyone.

ghporter
Administrator
May 27, 2006, 09:51 AM

Maybe this is a dumb question, but I'd like some clarification here. Is the only reason you're ordering from Amazon instead of Apple the fact that Apple basically has a presence in all 50 U.S. states and thus must collect sales tax? I can't imagine why else you'd put a second party between you and Apple for this sort of purchase.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
May 27, 2006, 09:58 AM

Amazon has a $100 rebate and doesn't charge sales tax in most places. Makes for a $175 or so difference on the base MacBook. And I'd Amazon is actually better about returns and so forth than Apple.

[email protected]  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 27, 2006, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter
Maybe this is a dumb question, but I'd like some clarification here. Is the only reason you're ordering from Amazon instead of Apple the fact that Apple basically has a presence in all 50 U.S. states and thus must collect sales tax? I can't imagine why else you'd put a second party between you and Apple for this sort of purchase.
So I could have gotten an education discount. But I need atleast an 80GB hard drive, so I have to customize with Apple. With sales tax, the White 2GHz MacBook ended up being only $50 cheaper than the Black MacBook from Amazon or MacMall (because they both offer $100 off and no sales tax). When I threw in the free printer MacMall was offering (Apple is only offering $100 off a printer, but not free) it ended up being a better deal for me.

Now if you don't have an educational discount then DEFINATELY you should consider Amazon and MacMall... but even if you do, like I did, you can get a far better deal than Apple provides. You're right its a gamble... because I'm sure MacMall has horrible customer service so I hope my laptop is fine... but it was worth it for me.

DeathMan
Mac Elite
May 28, 2006, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by Icruise
Amazon has a $100 rebate and doesn't charge sales tax in most places. Makes for a $175 or so difference on the base MacBook. And I'd Amazon is actually better about returns and so forth than Apple.

I wouldn't imagine Amazon is better about returns, if I were you. They won't take a MacBook back. They list them as non-returnable.

I ordered from Amazon/MacMall because in both cases they are cheaper, and neither charges sales tax. The Mid-range cost me about $200 less that way.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
May 28, 2006, 11:28 AM

I have heard a lot of people say that Amazon allowed exchanges of computers that Apple would probably have refused (for one or two dead pixels, for example). Where do you see that they won't take MacBooks back?

br-
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 28, 2006, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by Fry212
So I could have gotten an education discount. But I need atleast an 80GB hard drive, so I have to customize with Apple.
The Educational discount is only $50 on the 1.8 GHz MacBook. You'll pay a lot more than that in taxes. So, if you're getting the low end one - the third party route is the only way to go.

The MacBook is so easy to upgrade (they have panels for the RAM and the HardDrive) - it's cheaper to do that and upgrade it yourself. (Apple charges a lot for upgrades.)

Mojo
Mac Enthusiast
May 29, 2006, 04:03 PM

For some reason the URL link function doesn't work for me, so here is the URL for Amazon's warranty on computers:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...223470-3884632

Note the 15% restocking fee for opened boxes. A defective computer must be dealt with by the manufacturer.

Amazon is not inclined to accept computer returns... I know this from personal experience.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
May 29, 2006, 04:37 PM

Yes, I've seen that page, but note that it doesn't (as far as I can tell) apply to exchanges and it certainly doesn't single out the MacBook or Apple computers in general, as Deathman said. I've heard many people talk about exchanging Macs that had problems (some relatively minor). I've also been allowed to exchange or returned things at Amazon that were officially not allowed by their return policy.

Mojo
Mac Enthusiast
May 29, 2006, 05:09 PM

You can assume what you want, but the policy is plainly stated. In my case I wanted to "exchange" an iBook with a minor screen defect. I either had to pay the 15% restocking fee or contact Apple to see if it was covered by the warranty. The two Amazon reps I dealt with were very clear about the limits of their return policy.

If you are the type of person who expects absolute perfection when your Mac arrives and who will want to be able to return it if it has the slightest cosmetic flaw, then Amazon is not the place to buy a Mac.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
May 29, 2006, 05:57 PM

It sounds like you had a bad experience, and that's too bad. But many other people have had no problem whatsoever making returns and exchanges with Amazon. Here are a few posts that I dug up in a couple of minutes of searching. You'll see that a number of people have had good experiences with Amazon returns/exchanges.

Any reason to buy an MBP from Apple vs. others?
Bought too early! MBP
amazon and replacements of macbook pro
want to buy a powerbook but worry about horizontal lines...
And see this Macintouch thread where someone mentions returning MacBook Pros three times in a row.
Bobby Cramer
First off, let me say that I have given up trying to get a macbook that is cool enough to keep on my lap. I have returned my 3rd unit to Amazon this morning (and will not be replacing it), because each one was so hot that I couldn't sit it on my lap directly, and even with a blanket underneath, the heat was so much that it caused me to sweat profusely, even when sitting in bed. I've been able to get ech one up to 140 degrees farenheit with very little CPU usage. Scary...
On a side note - Amazon has been fantastic with each return. Never asked a question, and refunded my money (each time) with no hassle in a matter of 2 or 3 days after they received it (with no restocking fees). Try that at the Apple store!! I would never go anywhere else to buy a mac. It's just a shame that an innocent third party like Amazon is getting stuck processing all of these MBP returns.
Looks like I'll be sitting out this round of mac laptops until the heat and noise issues get sorted out for real. Whatever happened to SJ's speech about the switch to intel bringing us more heat efficient portables? If you ask me, the situation is much worse now. My PB's were never this bad.
It would be a mistake to buy from Amazon (or anywhere) assuming that you can just return it no questions asked with no problems, but the feeling I get from having read these forums and the Mac web in general is that Amazon's return policy is quite generous. I've never needed to return a computer to Amazon, but they did let me return a 26" LCD TV despite having a policy that says such TVs are non-refundable. There was nothing wrong with the TV in my case, but Amazon's product page had some incorrect information about it. Overall, I've been very pleased with Amazon, and I think they do their best to accommodate reasonable requests.

flukewurm
May 29, 2006, 09:18 PM

wtf. i can still take my amazon purchased apple to the genius bar.. right?

jere_69
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 29, 2006, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by chad78
The Educational discount is only $50 on the 1.8 GHz MacBook. You'll pay a lot more than that in taxes. So, if you're getting the low end one - the third party route is the only way to go.

The MacBook is so easy to upgrade (they have panels for the RAM and the HardDrive) - it's cheaper to do that and upgrade it yourself. (Apple charges a lot for upgrades.)
Just a note, Apple charges a little less for upgrades when you use your education discount....not much, though.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
May 29, 2006, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by flukewurm
wtf. i can still take my amazon purchased apple to the genius bar.. right?
Yes, for service it doesn't matter where you buy it.

mathew_m
Senior User
May 29, 2006, 09:40 PM

So you can actually speak with someone at Amazon? However it might be different if say your Macbook has a stuck red pixel in the center of the screen. That's an obvious situation where you'll want to return the item but it might fall under the "talk to the manufacturer" policy.

So I myself decided to order from Abt. They are a brick and mortar chain up in the Chicago area.
While they are not offering any rebates they do have a no quesions asked return policy for laptops. The only catch is that you have to return it within 15 days with all of the packaging. I think they even pay for the return shipping. That's easily done if I find the worst (stuck red pixel dead center of screen). After much debating (and wasting precious time) I figure that the peace of mind was worth it.

Mojo
Mac Enthusiast
May 30, 2006, 04:19 AM

Amazon may have improed its service since I purchased my G3 iBook in 2001. And all communication was by e-mail, as I recall...

Porco
May 30, 2006, 09:14 AM

Talking about stuck pixels, I have one that won't fire black at the far right of the screen, around mid height. Should I return for a new one? It hasn't bothered me all weekend, but on a black screen it sits there screaming at me.

DeathMan
Mac Elite
May 30, 2006, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by Porco
Talking about stuck pixels, I have one that won't fire black at the far right of the screen, around mid height. Should I return for a new one? It hasn't bothered me all weekend, but on a black screen it sits there screaming at me.
You can either stress about it, or let it go. Life is too short to worry about 1 pixel in a million.

Or call apple, maybe they'll exchange it. Who knows.

sbsmac
May 31, 2006, 02:29 PM

Just an update, the MacBook came in today, I'm typing on it as we speak. It's awesome!

DeathMan
Mac Elite
May 31, 2006, 02:52 PM

I hate myself for not sticking with Amazon. Okay, I don't hate myself, I hate Amazon for putting a shipping date 2 months off, and I hate MacMall for telling me they would have MacBooks before Amazon. How do they know when Amazon gets MacBooks. And by hate, I mean mildly annoyed by.

I hope mine ships today. I paid extra to get my MacBook later. I'm losing this game.

[email protected]  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 1, 2006, 10:07 AM

Just got my computer from MacMall! So far its great... none of the problems people have been complaining about. Great purchase. Good luck everyone.

JasonA
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 1, 2006, 11:17 AM

Got mine from Amazon yesterday. Looks great, doesn't seem very hot at all, but I haven't stressed it too much yet.

drbrett
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 1, 2006, 11:32 AM

When did the people who have received their macbooks order? I placed an order on the 20th, and there is still no update on it. Calling amazon has proven futile since they arent willing to believe that ANY macbook has shipped yet!

mathew_m
Senior User
Jun 1, 2006, 12:01 PM

Interestingly I just checked my order. It says 'shipping soon' while the delivery date is still August 2nd... I'm not sure which one to believe. Here's the deal though; I just ordered it last night! I had a previous order in with them that I eventually cancelled because of the delay. However this time I signed up for Amazon Prime and selected free 2-day shipping. I think Amazon Prime makes the difference as you are bumped to the front of the line.

DeathMan
Mac Elite
Jun 1, 2006, 12:51 PM

My macmall order just shipped yesterday. While it probably won't make it by this weekend, maybe I'll have it on Monday.

I still should have stayed with Amazon, cause I also did the free Prime thing. I still need to cancel that...

mathew_m
Senior User
Jun 1, 2006, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by DeathMan
I still should have stayed with Amazon, cause I also did the free Prime thing. I still need to cancel that...
You could always refuse delivery from MacMall. The $999 base model is just too cheap to turn down. Plus Amazon's rebates are all online now so you don't have to deal with cutting up your box and mailing a bunch of 'proofs of purchases'. That's worth $25 if you value your time.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 1, 2006, 02:19 PM

Yes, the online rebate thing is nice. It took less than a minute to submit the rebate information. Having no rebate at all (just a straight discount) would be even better, but that's not going to happen.

jaybert
Jun 1, 2006, 02:44 PM

you can believe the shipping soon. I ordered on 5/30 and it changed to shipping soon yesterday, and I just got the email that it had shipped (i am a prime member and upgraded to overnight for 3.99)

Originally Posted by mathew_m
Interestingly I just checked my order. It says 'shipping soon' while the delivery date is still August 2nd... I'm not sure which one to believe. Here's the deal though; I just ordered it last night! I had a previous order in with them that I eventually cancelled because of the delay. However this time I signed up for Amazon Prime and selected free 2-day shipping. I think Amazon Prime makes the difference as you are bumped to the front of the line.

mathew_m
Senior User
Jun 1, 2006, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by jaybert
you can believe the shipping soon. I ordered on 5/30 and it changed to shipping soon yesterday, and I just got the email that it had shipped (i am a prime member and upgraded to overnight for 3.99)
Cool! It pays to Prime.

bvz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 1, 2006, 04:15 PM

For all of you who ordered from Amazon and have already recieved your macbook (or notification of shipment) could you:

indicate when you ordered
indicate what model you ordered
indicate whether or not you are a member of Amazon prime

That would be cool, thanks!

(just for comparison, I ordered a mid-range on the 27th, am not a member of prime, and still have an estimated ship date of August 3rd)

bvz

mathew_m
Senior User
Jun 1, 2006, 04:22 PM

In order:

Originally ordered base model from Amazon last week. I got impatient along with 'Blackbook desire' so I cancelled. Went back and forth between models and where to order several times. Read about the Amazon Prime offer (free 3-month trial) and how orders were being served not on a first come first serve basis but on shipping option. Joined Amazon Prime and ordered the base white model as of last night (5-31-06). Today I was informed of the 'shipping soon' status...

So if you're wanting the Macbook as fast as possible then join Amazon Prime. I would first cancel your order though. Its an easy process with Amazon. Join Prime and then re-order.

bvz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 1, 2006, 04:28 PM

Mathew,

Thanks for the quick response. I think you are right on, and will do as you suggested.

Thanks again!

bvz

JasonA
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 1, 2006, 04:31 PM

I ordered the bottom level white one on the 18th and it shipped on the 26th. I did join the free 3-mo trial of Prime since they offered when I checked out.

bvz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 1, 2006, 04:43 PM

Ok, so I just cancelled my old order, signed up for prime, and re-ordered the same one with the additional $3.99 next day air option. The email they just sent indicates an estimated ship date of August 2nd, which is one day sooner than my order from the 27th.

I'll post here if anything changes...

bvz

kikkoman
Senior User
Jun 1, 2006, 07:15 PM

I placed my order May 30th at 11:30 PM. I just received shipment notification. I did not sign up for Prime. Be patient.

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 1, 2006, 07:36 PM

Weird. I placed my order with Amazon on May 29th. Upgraded to Prime and selected 2-day shipping. Est delivery date is Aug. 2. Still Not Shipped Yet.

Lowest end MacBook, most popular. Maybe the reason.
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

kikkoman
Senior User
Jun 1, 2006, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by hyteckit
Weird. I placed my order with Amazon on May 29th. Upgraded to Prime and selected 2-day shipping. Est delivery date is Aug. 2. Still Not Shipped Yet.

Lowest end MacBook, most popular. Maybe the reason.
I orderd the same config one day later than you, did not upgrade to prime. Mine is on it's way

mathew_m
Senior User
Jun 1, 2006, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by kikkoman
I orderd the same config one day later than you, did not upgrade to prime. Mine is on it's way

Hmm, did you go with overnight shipping?

Maybe they really did get a big shipment in. Also Amazon has warehouses spread across the states so maybe you're lucky enough to live close to one that received stock earlier.

kikkoman
Senior User
Jun 1, 2006, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by mathew_m
Hmm, did you go with overnight shipping?

Maybe they really did get a big shipment in. Also Amazon has warehouses spread across the states so maybe you're lucky enough to live close to one that received stock earlier.
I just went with the regular free shipping. I always get stuff from amazon within a couple days of shipping anyway cause there is warehouse in the next state.

SciFrog
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 1, 2006, 08:18 PM

Base model ordered on the 18th, free shipping, not a prime menber, still nothing... arg

bvz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 1, 2006, 09:26 PM

Ok, that's fast. It's been about 4 hours since I cancelled my order, upgraded to prime, and then re-ordered. I just recieved an automated call from my credit card company asking whether I placed a $1300 order with Amazon. Checking back on their website, my order has been upgraded to "Shipping Soon" although the delivery date is still set to August 2nd. Since they don't charge till they are ready to ship, I am thinking I will get the thing by Monday (Delivering to work, so no weekend geeking out for me - actually a good thing! )

I'll update as I know more.

b

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 1, 2006, 10:32 PM

Amazon hates me... nah nah nah nah... Amazon hates me.
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

drbrett
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 2, 2006, 12:39 AM

I agree. Tried everything. Even placed two new orders. It still shows "open order". Meanwhile they were good enough to send me a $15 and then another $20 coupon. Oh well...

flukewurm
Jun 2, 2006, 02:39 AM

Originally Posted by SciFrog
Base model ordered on the 18th, free shipping, not a prime menber, still nothing... arg
saaaame thing here mang.

kikkoman
Senior User
Jun 2, 2006, 07:10 AM

Amazon must love me! Just checked my UPS tracking number this morning and it already arrived in my city and is out for delivery. I didn't even upgrade to overnight. Amazon is AMAZING! Nice way to end the week.

drbrett
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 2, 2006, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by ankit
I agree. Tried everything. Even placed two new orders. It still shows "open order". Meanwhile they were good enough to send me a $15 and then another $20 coupon. Oh well...
Okay, it is finally "shipping soon". This is the latest order that I placed yesterday night. Its amazing how amazon works. I only wish it wasnt a friday already

Forum Links
Forum Rules