Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Macbook pro screen turns to confetti

Macbook pro screen turns to confetti
Chris Newman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 27, 2008, 05:17 AM

Own a MBP 2007 2.2Gig About 3 months warranty left. Twice in the past week I have experienced problems with image rendering. In each case, the screen has suddenly scrambled giving the appearance of confetti red white and blue flecks of colour in a white background, say two hundred to the square inch over the entire screen. In both cases required a reboot and it fixed itself. Any ideas what this might be? If it is a video card problem does it tend to fail eventually?
( Last edited by Chris Newman; Apr 27, 2008 at 05:37 AM. )

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 27, 2008, 06:47 AM

It sounds like a video card problem to me. You should get it looked at while you're still in warranty since it will undoubtedly get worse.

elcheapo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 28, 2008, 02:44 PM

If you intend to keep the machine, have it looked at and think about buying AppleCare

Cold Warrior
Apr 28, 2008, 02:46 PM

Get it looked at, definitely. Also consider AppleCare; it'll give you 2 more years of great coverage after your 1 year warranty expires. If there's a graphics problem now, no telling what's lurking under the hood a year from now.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 28, 2008, 03:29 PM

Does moving the screen backwards and forwards fix it?

Chris Newman  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 29, 2008, 03:31 AM

Originally Posted by peeb View Post
Does moving the screen backwards and forwards fix it?
I assume you mean rocking it back or forth gently not shaking it. I will have to wait until it next happens which could be this week or next. I was hoping to upgrade to the next MBP refresh. Not sure if that will happen before warranty runs out. Hoping it goes bad in the next few months.

Forum Links
Forum Rules