Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > newbie need help to boot G3 B&W with panther 10.3

newbie need help to boot G3 B&W with panther 10.3
kamiz9999
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 29, 2005, 10:44 AM

Hello,

This is my first experience with a mac, I am a 12 years PC user.

I bought couple weeks ago a 500 mhz G3 B&W on ebay, as I bought only the case I bought a usb keyboard and usb mouse. I did not have any adc monitor so I decided to buy a vga video card.

So I powered on the machine and everything looked very good, the system I have inside is Mac OS 9.2. BUT after seeing all icons on the bottom of the desktop I got a grey screen and it froze.

So I thought there was a problem with the software so I decided to buy the complete Panther 10.3 (3 cds). I found on google the way to boot the apple with holding "C" key during the start up. So I insert the CD 1 of panther and got a grey screen again with a folder in the middle of the screen where there is an interrogation point blinking with mac double face logo, I can see the light blinking on the cd rom but after 30 min still the same screen.

So could someone help to install my panther system ? I am really desperated.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 29, 2005, 12:32 PM

Welcome

Are you sure it is a B&W G3?, I mean, those never ran at 500 MHz and an ADC card was not standard by then (1999), maybe the previous owner upgraded it

Well, maybe you need to update the Frmware of your Power Mac , please check this info about updating the Firmware, as you can read here it is needed in order to run Mac OS X.

There is also a document about being unable to start from Mac OS X 10.3.2 install CD if you have a Matshita CR-587 CD ROM drive

Have you tried to boot Mac OS 9 holding the 'Shift' key down?, it lets you boot the Mac OS 9 without a certain number of extensions, do it so and check if the hard disk is OK with the 'First Aid' utility, (it has an cool ambulance as icon).

kamiz9999  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 29, 2005, 01:19 PM

Yes this computer has been upgraded by the previous owner, you could the detailed description with this link

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...tem=5771905720

Now I have a different problem, I removed the cd 1 of panther and tried to get access back to mac os 9.2 but I have all the time the grey screen with the folder with the interrogation point blinking.

So I put the CD 1 panther inside again and I saw a change the darger grey apple appeared in the middle but got this message :

No debugger configured- dumping debug information

You need to restart your computer. Hold down the power button for several seconds or press the restart button

and some kernel stuff like
Kernel version :
Darwin kernel version 7.0.0

the last thing written is :

panic: we are hanging here....

I don't care about formating the drive but I need the procedure to install panther 10.3

thank you

Thade
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 29, 2005, 01:52 PM

Pull out some RAM. The auction says that addl. RAM was added, maybe it wasn't tested. After that try reset button on Motherboard...press only once...then check the compatibility of the new video card. Also check for any compatibility issues with the aftermarket CPU & Panther.

J

kiazer
Aug 29, 2005, 01:53 PM

Reset the PRAM by holding down option-command-p-r @ start up listen for the chime. Let it chime 3 times
Pop in the OS X Cd and hit the reset button, now hold the ā€œCā€ key and see if is boots, If it does do a custom install and just do the minimal things needed.

OreoCookie
Aug 29, 2005, 02:22 PM

Also: make sure the CDs are in good shape (scratches, etc.): can you boot on another Mac with them?
( Last edited by OreoCookie; Aug 29, 2005 at 02:29 PM. )
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Aug 30, 2005, 05:03 AM

Yeah, check your CD. Or your CD drive. I had issues with some old B&Ws, but sometimes the old CD drives acted up and wouldn't boot.

Firmware updates are important.

kamiz9999  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 30, 2005, 07:27 AM

Well I have played couple hours and I think I got the solution, memory problem, I have 3 memory stick so I tried them one by one and finally I got the old apple os working in disabled mode, so only one stick of 32 megs is working so I got a message I did not have enough memory to run all the dll extensions. I bought 3 sticks of 256 megs exactly for my G3 B&W on ebay so I should know by next week if it was the problem.

My cds of panther are brand new.

thank you all for your help

Forum Links
Forum Rules